Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 4, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #6,031 of 6,668
Wait wait....to confirm, using one of these - https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/null-audio-2-5mm-balanced-to-3-5mm-se-converter-for-astell-kern-players will/may damage the unit?

No, because you plug that into the SE Output of whatever device you're using. In Single-ended, there are no -L or -R lines. Those are simply Ground. They are already shorted together. The Balanced headphones you use with that adapter artificially separate Ground as they run to the drivers. It's harmless.

-~::Edit::~-
On second thought, it depends on how you use it.

AK BO>Balanced Cable>Null Converter>3.5mm SE Input on Amp.

That will hurt your AK device.

But if you're using it as intended:

3.5mm SE Headphone Output>Null Converter>2.5mm Balanced Headphones

Everything will be right as rain.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #6,032 of 6,668
Mar 4, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #6,035 of 6,668
  Anyone have a static issue with the 2.5mm port on their AK? If I turn the volume down and move the cable I get static in the left channel. I have been talking to Ted about it, so not 100% sure if its the cable or the port. I am going to test some players at CanJam and narrow down the issue. I tried some contact cleaner to fix it, it didn't help.

Are you using the little washers that came with it to keep the metal of the plug off the metal of the player?  If not, might help.  

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #6,037 of 6,668

how I love this setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #6,038 of 6,668
I got  a little bag of washers with, I think, my 120ll (which I bought new).  They were to keep the bottom of the plug from contacting the top of the case.  Pretty sure it was with the 120ll, and not my UERM or Angie (as it was specific for the AK).  Can't find the little bag, but I know I slipped one on my UERM when I first used it with the AK (it has since fallen off).  You could try making a little washer out of very thin material or paper and slipping it over your plug to see if that helps.  

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #6,039 of 6,668
  I got  a little bag of washers with, I think, my 120ll (which I bought new).  They were to keep the bottom of the plug from contacting the top of the case.  Pretty sure it was with the 120ll, and not my UERM or Angie (as it was specific for the AK).  Can't find the little bag, but I know I slipped one on my UERM when I first used it with the AK (it has since fallen off).  You could try making a little washer out of very thin material or paper and slipping it over your plug to see if that helps.  

I will check my AK box.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #6,042 of 6,668
Low-tech worked.
smile.gif
 We can go into business, make them out of paper and sell them for $25.00 ea or two for $40.00 (great deal!).  Head-Fi'ers will snap them up!!!!

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #6,043 of 6,668
I got those same washers in my Angie box. Others did not. We were the lucky ones. :D

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #6,044 of 6,668
I seem to recall that it was after issues with what Mr. Gump was talking about that they were given out, but I couldn't recall with what device I got them.  Too many toys.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back