Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 4, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #6,017 of 6,668
  I got my used AK120II today and this thing is in pristine condition, if the screen protector wasn't a bit worn, I would have thought it was brand new. It currently has 1.12, should I upgrade to the latest? Any bad things in regards to the new firmware?

I`ve gone through all the firmware updates including the most recent, and while they have made some biggish changes, I have not found any of them to negative.  

The AKT5p custom EQ setting was introduced in a firmware update, so if you don`t have that with your current system it is worth getting, IMO.  

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #6,018 of 6,668
By the way, apparently this is real, a new 512gb micro SD.  I wonder if the 120ii can use it. . . 

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/06/this-is-512gb-crammed-into-a-tiny-microsd-card-for-photographers/

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #6,019 of 6,668
A grand for a memory card 
eek.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #6,020 of 6,668

Turning on Line Out in the drop-down panel only activates the mode by placing the `Line Out` button on the volume screen - you then have to hit this Line Out on the volume screen to actually activate Line Out.  Because this function maxes the volume, the AK asks you to confirm this mode so as not to blow out your eardrums by mistake with headphones.  If you unplug a cable and plug in another, Line Out will be switched off automatically and the volume reset at whatever it was before Line Out was selected, so you have to once again manual toggle the Line Out button on the volume screen.  

Thank you! Can't believe I didn't think to do this. Instant jump in sound quality--all areas. 

There are lots of cable makers on Ebay or here on headfi who can do adaptors for AK`s 2.5 balanced output.  I have a 2.5 male to twin 3-pin XLR for listening to my AK through my balanced speaker amp.

I just bought a Soloist SL MKII. So, a cable that goes from the AK-100II's BAL OUT to the amp's RCA IN would be perfect, no? Can you point me to any cable makers here? #newbie

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #6,021 of 6,668
AK-100II's BAL OUT to the amp's RCA IN would be perfect, no?

No.

If you use Balanced Out to a Single-Ended Input you short the -L & -R lines together, which can result in frying your Astell&Kern player.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #6,023 of 6,668
No.

If you use Balanced Out to a Single-Ended Input you short the -L & -R lines together, which can result in frying your Astell&Kern player.

Thank you...will avoid that. Regarding the adapter Karloil shows above, a dedicated BAL OUT-LINE IN cable provide better sound than using an adapter?

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #6,024 of 6,668
Wait wait....to confirm, using one of these - https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/null-audio-2-5mm-balanced-to-3-5mm-se-converter-for-astell-kern-players will/may damage the unit?

No, it works just the opposite. Null-Audio converter you quoted allows you to use a balanced headphone through a single-ended output. Basically what does the splitter in any SE headphone.

I used one with my Linum Balanced on AK Jr which has ony SE output. No problem.
Now, I upgraded to AK100II and I can use directly balanced cable in balanced output.

If you want to use single-ended headphone, device on AK100II, use the 3.5mm SE output.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #6,025 of 6,668
  By the way, apparently this is real, a new 512gb micro SD.  I wonder if the 120ii can use it. . . 

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/06/this-is-512gb-crammed-into-a-tiny-microsd-card-for-photographers/

No reason why not as it is SDXC spec, but it does cost as much as the 120ii...

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #6,028 of 6,668
Anyone have a static issue with the 2.5mm port on their AK? If I turn the volume down and move the cable I get static in the left channel. I have been talking to Ted about it, so not 100% sure if its the cable or the port. I am going to test some players at CanJam and narrow down the issue. I tried some contact cleaner to fix it, it didn't help.

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #6,030 of 6,668

Users who are viewing this thread

Back