Brand new - Zishan Z2 DSD Player- AK 4490 - Link to order, Firmware update. page 1
Nov 9, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #661 of 678
Awesome! Thanks a ton

Welcome. I was having trouble with the baidu site too. Found the Russian site a couple of months ago, just to have the files. I haven't upgraded my firmware, as I'm pleased with whatever version I got when it was delivered. If you notice significant improvement with a firmware update, would you post it here?

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #662 of 678
Hello

i use zishan z2 as my dac in linux debian kde plasma os with jack audio server. its very good dac

jack audio server is pro audio server for linux, windows and maybe mac os / ios

i use cadence apps (apps for setting jack and pulse audio server) with these setting

DaMtCx3xwvsdlcYltRaKmOb3l8eG9YDiNvsOLxam.png

kxURrSrpKAAjGGCgXLFtYk9UccNHNatESYuIVZEQ.png

i also use carla app to add some audio effect with plugins

pLQzSmFQabHeGzOjPd216Ua83vgFVpbvecybpUJo.png

l8aTEq0EBzqW6ue4zCFBHQKfk76Z53BFTrpwBe1s.png

hZ0AlcAJoS2dH2kHvnMc1CQ4rtIfZq1qDNH7W2x9.png

n7CY8cYkIYYWV2QUOvrpNtgUxZkWj5i9zdApkDnS.png

Zw8BTQTMCaBkigV8k4qQCLKIIOxW42eCdR0jVEgI.png

SfOeRXRj19mL6QAoDYfBxY9PEeVrexBkaaB3iSSc.png

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #663 of 678
Old thread but.....

Been listening to my Z2 (new) for a few weeks now and probably have
about 200hrs on it.
Sounded real good right out of the box.
Sounds great now with some time on it.
Have had no problems whatsoever with it.

I replaced the 2 output caps which were 100uf 16v Nichicon FW with
330uf 10v Nichicon FW. Really opened up and tightened up
the bass. Sound stage seems a little better/wider also.
Bass is a lot punchier now also.
Have about 20 hrs on the new caps.

I'm continually impressed with this little box.
Best $28 I've spent in a long time.
Will probably get 1 or 2 more just to have them.

Rolling to start soon.

KIMG0159.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #664 of 678
Hi guys, I really hope someone can help me out. My Zishan Z2 suddenly caught a problem, its control button not working as usually does. The Prev, Stop and Next button are not responding at all. Also I wonder if anyone can give me pointer how to set ZIshan up so it can automatically connected to Windows 10 PC. Right now, every time I try to connect it via usb, Windows 10 always shows error message: usb device unrecognized (device descriptor request failed), thus I can not use Zishan as dac. Please help. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #665 of 678
Does anyone know how to add custom EQs to the z2? Even if you remove the standard 180 EQs from the memory card, they’re still available on the player which confused me! I have created an EQ for Porta Pro in correct format and added to memory card but have no way of knowing if I have it selected as there is always the 180 and ones it came with and no display heh

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #666 of 678
Does anyone know how to add custom EQs to the z2? Even if you remove the standard 180 EQs from the memory card, they’re still available on the player which confused me! I have created an EQ for Porta Pro in correct format and added to memory card but have no way of knowing if I have it selected as there is always the 180 and ones it came with and no display heh

After clearing the standard 180 EQs from the memory card, would it help to do a system reset?

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #668 of 678
Hi - thanks for the suggestion, however I’ve tried that a few times by holding down ‘previous’ when powering on. There might be another method I’m not aware of though?

I wonder what would happen if you put 180 "No EQ" files on the memory card, and then reset, to overwrite all of the EEPROM EQ locations?

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #669 of 678
My stock Z2 has a new issue. It randomly cuts out briefly during a song (flac). It seems to be 2 or 3 intermittent one-half second silences each time. Very annoying.

I've tried:
  • Different sets of earphones. Doesn't matter, still cuts out here and there.
  • Using line out to powered speakers. Still cuts out occasionally. So, I don't think it is headphone or line out jack issues.
  • Pressing "prev" button to restart same track that just cut out (usually plays perfectly on replay), on both earphones and line out, so it's not the sd card.
  • Playing same track that cut out on computer from sd card. Plays perfectly, again, not a problem with the card.
  • Inspected the caps, didn't notice any obvious swelling or anything loose.

Could it be a battery issue? Is there a way to test it? The wires coming from it are soldered to the board.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #670 of 678
This is an old topic, but, I am wondering about something.

I have a spare original Muses 02. I see I can buy a Z2 on AE for 50 euro, there seem to be few left. (if it is real, don't know if it is a reputable shop)

I like my Z1 with Burson V5i very much. Is has a very up front and intimate sound. So I am wondering what a Z2 with Muses 02 or the Burson V5i will sound. I can also rotate other opamps between devices, I could plug in a Burson V6 Vivid, or real Muses 8920 (= Muses 01 character).

I know the difference between stock Z1 and Z2 is Z1 has more mids, Z2 has a V shaped sound. Z2 has a bit wider sound stage, could be a bit more harsh in the high frequency.

What could happen is that Z1 and Z2 with higher end opamps sound the same in the end.

Any thoughts about it? What is holding me back is that the 50 euro becomes more with 21% tax and custom cost. I also own 2 DSDs and a Z3 so I am complete already. So a Z2 is pure luxury.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #671 of 678
This is an old topic, but, I am wondering about something.

I have a spare original Muses 02. I see I can buy a Z2 on AE for 50 euro, there seem to be few left. (if it is real, don't know if it is a reputable shop)

I like my Z1 with Burson V5i very much. Is has a very up front and intimate sound. So I am wondering what a Z2 with Muses 02 or the Burson V5i will sound. I can also rotate other opamps between devices, I could plug in a Burson V6 Vivid, or real Muses 8920 (= Muses 01 character).

I know the difference between stock Z1 and Z2 is Z1 has more mids, Z2 has a V shaped sound. Z2 has a bit wider sound stage, could be a bit more harsh in the high frequency.

What could happen is that Z1 and Z2 with higher end opamps sound the same in the end.

Any thoughts about it? What is holding me back is that the 50 euro becomes more with 21% tax and custom cost. I also own 2 DSDs and a Z3 so I am complete already. So a Z2 is pure luxury.
Been using z2 with v5i dual for quite some time now.. great combination, muses02 moved to dsd ak4495 where he belongs

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #673 of 678
Btw, link for z2 on AE?
Out of curiosity, I searched AE for "Zishan Z2", but can't post the link, because that seller is banned here.
(Probably old stock, but I'm guessing.)

Just googled now, I haven't follow any audio news for a long time.
Looks like AK is coming back with some production, I read they have some new revisions ak4493s/ak4490r:
https://www.akm.com/us/en/about-us/news/2022/20220207-ak4493sak4490r/
https://www.hifinext.com/akm-to-release-ak4493s-and-ak4490r-dac-chips-in-february/

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #674 of 678
Btw, link for z2 on AE?
I found one shop, I wrote it down in my original message but the name was not visible, ony ****. I didn't understand why, but now I know the shop is banned here.

I hope it is old stock and not a faulty advertisement. I will think about it a bit longer.

Would be nice if Zishan came back with the old models with new AK DAC chip, instead of the Z4 model or an evolution of this model. Instead of that you can buy plenty of other stuff that looks better already. The appeal for me is this DIY character of the devices.

Sep 9, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #675 of 678
50 euro becomes more with 21% tax and custom cost.
If you are in EU, in AE shop the tax is included in price now.
There are no customs costs if tax is included, but I read some local mail companies could charge a small fee.
In AE app checkout (just before paying), will say VAT included.

I think I've read in the new EU import tax rules (changed July 2021) that tax can only be included for items up to 150eur, all items pay tax now (even below 22eur), but google how it works for details.

Not saying to buy or not. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back