Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Jun 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #861 of 4,426
How does it compare with the sd3 bro?

Connect IT @ JEM has both SD2 and SD3 for demo. I have auditioned both and personally SD2 feels more comfortable to me than SD3. SD2 is more balance across the whole spectrum compared to SD3. SD3 on the other hand is very bass focused and narrow in soundstage, so the highs and instrument separation suffers a lot. The shop attendant at Connect IT let me listen to SD3 when I first asked to try it and he warned me many customers prefer SD2 over SD3 and suggest I should try out SD2 after it. Unless your music preference are mostly emphasizing on bass and you are just trying to connect to the music through the bass, else comparing to Ref1 I personally find SD3 full of bass quantity but lacking in quality and feels muddy/warm, maybe even more so than Roxanne. SD2 did not have this problem, but sounded thin instead. An in-between them might be good like an SD2.5.

Don't have SD3 to compare . But from memory, one thing is that Ref1 can get sibilant so it's not going to work well with sibilant EDM tracks like In My Mind by Georgia Kay, unlike SD3 which (to me) never gets sibilant with EDM.

Ref1 is definitely much better and more refined than 1plus2 in terms of overall frequency response and Ref1's treble already feels much more tamed to me compared to 1plus2. However, I do feel that I miss the more forward treble from the good old 1plus2 signature for some of my supposedly EDM/Electronic tracks.

I love this one on 1plus2 more than Ref1. Ref1 makes the ringing chimes, bells and guitar notes sound very sweet and silky smooth, but the 1plus2's unique highs gives it a more aggressive and wide airy feel which is heavenly for this particular song.

Tracks 13, 14 and 15 from Accel World OST here can sound rather piercing on certain parts on 1plus2's highs, but Ref1 tames them all down to a much more natural feel and further gives them an impressive bass boost which make the whole music much more exciting and enjoyable to listen to in the EDM sense.

For this track from Tiesto - Elements of Life, I have noticed many times that the 1plus2 can get sibilant with the female vocal at certain parts of the recording but Ref1 sounds fine to me.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #862 of 4,426
So I finally get to meet the famous Gavin on Friday here in Singapore and had a private auditioning of the uBer cable before the Jaben SG meet. It really sounds significantly better compared to the silver/gold cables that come with my 1plus2 and Ref 1. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 In fact, I was previously hunting all over islandwide to find a new cable with a good 2.5mm TRRS plug for my AK240 that does not have connection issue with the right audio channel and none of the high end cables make as much improvement difference to my 1plus2 and Ref 1 as the uBer cable. Moon Audio's black and silver dragon cables both sounded worse than the silver/gold cable which I already have. The plug on ALO's SXC 24 seems more secure but it also did not sound as good. The 3 different Wagnus cables come closer to the silver/gold cable SQ, with the most expensive purple/violet cable sounding almost the same as the Tralucent silver/gold cable. The red and black Wagnus cables focus on the mids and bass more respectively and tame the 1plus2's highs significantly but does not really improve much on the SQ over the silver/gold cable. However, the Wagnus cables feel much stiffer/heavier and gives more microphonics. Their 2.5mm TRRS plugs are also consistently giving me signal cut off on the right audio channel of my AK240.

Suffice to say, I am pretty impressed with the uBer cable and bought it from Gavin. 
regular_smile .gif
 I really want to thank Gavin for giving me his time and patience sitting there waiting for me to audition while he idles around at the cafe in front of me and went for a smoke after a while. I hope I am not boring him. 
tongue_smile.gif

I also saw Kiats at Jaben SG for a short while and only managed to say a quick hello to him before I had to rush off again to eat dinner with my family. Sorry about that didn't get to stay and chat more. 
wink_face.gif
 Will catch up with you next time if I have more time. It is nice to put real faces to the names I know here online. I must say they are both much more senior than me and I am humbled by their presence.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #863 of 4,426
Bluebear, thanks for that impression, that was well written and fully thorough. Did u use the 1plus2 with the uber the whole time in that demo?

Reason i ask is that imo my 1plus2 with the uber never ever gets sibilant.. Like ever.. And what ure describing on the ref1 is what im hearing with the 1plus2 with uber.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #864 of 4,426
It was lovely to meet you too, Bluebear. I'm sure now that we will recognise each other the next time out paths cross at Jaben, we shall have other opportunities to catch up. :)

Ditto for Nazrin: when I find time to make that trip across to see my friends in Bandar! :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #865 of 4,426
It was lovely to meet you too, Bluebear. I'm sure now that we will recognise each other the next time out paths cross at Jaben, we shall have other opportunities to catch up. :)

Ditto for Nazrin: when I find time to make that trip across to see my friends in Bandar! :)

Yeah mr kiats, we can have dinner at radison whilst listening to ure ak240 lol

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #866 of 4,426
Sadly, Nazrin, it'd have to be breakfast or coffee at the Tasek because dinners are usually taken up by groups of old friends. :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #868 of 4,426
Awwww..okay then hahah..im flexible...as long as I get to do the demo then Im game..the decision of my future gear rests on this lol

Heheh! Thanks for the understanding, Nazrin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back