Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Apr 2, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,986 of 4,426

This AK10 unit with Toxic Cables - Silver  Widow on Ref.1 makes them sound a little lean, even venturing closer towards 1Plus2 tonality. The brightness increases as you lift the volume, if you go really high in volume Ref.1 will thin out, the AK10 lacks any real amounts of output power and the leaning out is probably the outcome of low power.

But I can also tell you I have heard variations between different transports feeding dac/amps. The Galaxy Note 3 I'm using with AK10 makes DacAmp One sound quite vibrant and aggressive (very close to this bright tonality we mention) while running DacAmp from DX80 optical out is slightly smoother and more spacious.

It may simply come down to the transport, although in theory its mean't to change nothing...

My edit above

Lol  I will send you a Crystal Cable mini I/C for you to try, to sweeten the sonics for you... or Siltech for crystalline highs and in doing so poison you 
wink_face.gif

Need to just find them now

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #2,987 of 4,426

Don't make me order a new dac/amp bro!!
wink.gif

I was actually thinking of getting the Soundblaster E5 due to it have a very nice eq... I'm waiting until I hear mojo with the Ref 1 Too... Although with my Fostex Th900 it really sounds amazing.

Please report in Warrior with a Mojo / Ref.1 Too comparison, I am eager to hear your thoughts.

Edit:

Lol  I will send you a Crystal Cable mini I/C for you to try, to sweeten the sonics for you... or Siltech for crystalline highs to try and in doing so poison you
wink_face.gif

In your own time contact me on my secret number, we can discuss.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #2,992 of 4,426

The thing with AK is that their products offers one of the cleanest sounding signals out. Of course signature and personal preference dictates.

But a clean and pure signal plays such an important role in personal audio if one wants to capture the music that is actually on the music file as per recording............ 

That's the key reason that my AK240 won over the Tera player when it was time for me to letting go one of them.  Never regret a second about that decision [to have Tera sold] and still extremely enjoy the Ref.1/AK240 combo...great synergy.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2,993 of 4,426
Well, the little AK10 dac/amp has the timbre I'm looking for, nice technical strength, stage width, if I could find another AK product (maybe AK240 used in Australia) I'd be pretty happy. Wouldn't dig up much over $1500 from the backyard for a used one though.

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,994 of 4,426
Update on the source expedition with Ref.1.

Kiats has been in my ear to try Lotto PAW 5000 with my Ref.1 so I've gone ahead, I have one coming.

Its ALL on Kiats if this goes wrong!

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #2,996 of 4,426
Nice bro. Let us know how they sound together.

Its quite interesting as PAW 5000 has a mixed response, so I'm partly doing it for the personal experience. Its all part of the hobby.

Source rolling?

Have you settled on any extravagant source yet for your incoming purchase?

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,997 of 4,426
Update on the source expedition with Ref.1.

Kiats has been in my ear to try Lotto PAW 5000 with my Ref.1 so I've gone ahead, I have one coming.

Its ALL on Kiats if this goes wrong!

Haha! I like it on the full range of Tralucents. The PAW5K is more musical than the LPG. Great for pure musical enjoyment and non-fatiguing. :)

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,998 of 4,426
Its quite interesting as PAW 5000 has a mixed response, so I'm partly doing it for the personal experience. Its all part of the hobby.

Source rolling?

Have you settled on any extravagant source yet for your incoming purchase?

The joke about source rolling over here is: Kiat, why do you care about battery life? If one dies, it just means it's time for you to rotate to the next DAP... :speak_no_evil:

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,999 of 4,426
H20Fidelity I'm fairly happy with the X7 stacked with mojo... But I'm also seriously debating adding the AK380cu, not sure about the amp as I think for me it will be underpowered. Also thinking of the Cowon S. Overkill for either, but for some odd reason I've really been missing my AK240.

I've thought about buying another zx2 as well. That was another great dap, just severely underpowered. If that had a more powerful amp, I'd get that in a heartbeat. Sounded very good, close to the AK but a tad more warmth.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #3,000 of 4,426
The joke about source rolling over here is: Kiat, why do you care about battery life? If one dies, it just means it's time for you to rotate to the next DAP... :speak_no_evil:

Haha, don't forget the one about downloading a new album, then feeling uncomfortable until its transferred onto absolutely EVERY player. 
wink.gif

@H20Fidelity I'm fairly happy with the X7 stacked with mojo... But I'm also seriously debating adding the AK380cu, not sure about the amp as I think for me it will be underpowered. Also thinking of the Cowon S. Overkill for either, but for some odd reason I've really been missing my AK240.

I've thought about buying another zx2 as well. That was another great dap, just severely underpowered. If that had a more powerful amp, I'd get that in a heartbeat. Sounded very good, close to the AK but a tad more warmth.

Why not get another AK240 then? Go with what's proven.

Wait a minute, there's no risk involved in that, nothing different. That's simply not Head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back