Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Jul 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #226 of 728
  I'm curious how it looks with 16ohms and >> 32ohms.  Do you have a link?

If I remember rightly that chart I posted is with 32ohm load - TF10 (I cannot find the actual link right now).

One would assume the roll-off with 16ohms would be even more though without a proper chart I cannot give percentages.

ClieOS has measured the output impedance at 0.4ohm, I remember that much.

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/637417/colorfly-c3-appreciation-and-discussion-thread/1455#post_9582769

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #227 of 728
These would make really great stage monitors for vocalists IMO.

From what I see couple of posts prior,I doubt it, if its more of a V,for both stage mon and especially vocals....And from your quote,my mind instantly struck with/reminds meelec M6, to me, not for vocals but drummers....for stage mons and likes.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #228 of 728
From what I see couple of posts prior,I doubt it, if its more of a V,for both stage mon and especially vocals....And from your quote,my mind instantly struck with/reminds meelec M6, to me, not for vocals but drummers....for stage mons and likes.

To me they aren't that V-shaped. The vocals are quite forward and intimate. I can hear inflection and intonation in most tracks that I can't in most of my other phones. As an amateur vocalist I hear things I would want to hear in my own ears as immediate feedback as I sing.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #229 of 728

This is interesting.  JHA like to make V shaped monitors, and I'm thinking it's related to him working with stage performers?  Does anybody know the benefits of V shape for stage?

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #230 of 728
  This is interesting.  JHA like to make V shaped monitors, and I'm thinking it's related to him working with stage performers?  Does anybody know the benefits of V shape for stage?

It has to do with legacy broadcast standards based on the 40-phon Fletcher-Munson curve (aka A-weighted curve). In many ways, it still holds value. In other ways, it doesn't.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #231 of 728
To me they aren't that V-shaped. The vocals are quite forward and intimate. I can hear inflection and intonation in most tracks that I can't in most of my other phones. As an amateur vocalist I hear things I would want to hear in my own ears as immediate feedback as I sing.

Oh Ok.....thats a good point to note. Coz to me V is more of a commercial(massmarket to cater the non audiophiles) to make most of the ears "wow" with the very first listen, just my 2 C's.....

And if you get what other IEMs failed, which means it perfectly fits your need and yeh its native style around the ear style makes much of a stage mon to you....your cup of tea!

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #232 of 728

A V-shaped signature boosts bass and treble and reduces midrange.  So a bass-guitar player would benefit from that, but it's great for a drummer. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #233 of 728

A V-shaped signature boosts bass and treble and reduces midrange.  So a bass-guitar player would benefit from that, but it's great for a drummer. 

Like this guys?  This is fantastic, listen and enjoy!!  
tongue.gif
  The Wizard posted it awhile ago.  This drummer is using customs.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #234 of 728
Just opened my S5. At first they sounded thin. But are now beginning to sound a little fuller. More balanced. The highs could have a little more detail as they are a little splashy.

But they are really growing on me. Couldn't get a good fit with the stock single flange. Using some Beyerdynamic bi flange tips.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #235 of 728

EQ revision: tried to keep the same overall aggressive feel of the S5, while simultaneously not making the bass so distracting. Clearer vocals (mid-bass dropped, upper-mid bite), with better extension.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #236 of 728

EQ revision: tried to keep the same overall aggressive feel of the S5, while simultaneously not making the bass so distracting. Clearer vocals (mid-bass dropped, upper-mid bite), with better extension.

just mirror it and that can be the its frequency graph !!

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #238 of 728
Tom

Any chance you can jot down the actual dB changes by frequency?

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #240 of 728
Wow, take an afternoon off and see what happens here 
wink_face.gif

Great to see all of the folks who got a set in(there seems to be an awful lot, you go Brainwavz!) reporting here, the more the merrier!\

As for that V shape, unless your using something to make a graph everyone can see, as above, I don't believe anyone on this thread "heard" a V shaped signature---until said graph appeared.....sorry, but somebody had to say it. Nowhere on this entire thread, nowhere, is a V shaped sig even hinted at. Just my own observations on head-fi on how much what you hear is not really related to what you see. And I'm also sorry if that pissed a few folks off, but I live in reality, and say it like it is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back