Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #331 of 794
just wanted to order one but no more sale :'(

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #333 of 794
Netherlands

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #334 of 794
I received my R1's on Monday.  I've listened to them for several hours since.  They are a very enjoyable IEM.  Ample bass and treble.  Mids might be a bit recessed, but just a bit.  I have Klipsch S4's.  They also have ample bass, but I think the R1's are cleaner.  I seem to hear each bass note with the R1's, where the S4's are more of a muddle.  Highs may be a bit better compared to the S4 as well.  I recently purchased the Vsonic GR02 Bass Editions.  My impression is that the GR02's might go a little deeper (think sub-woofer), but don't have the same quantity of bass.  Mids on the GR02's might be a little better, but the R1's are a bit better on the high end.  Right now, these two (R1's and GR02 BE's) are my favorites.  Neither would be mistaken for an analytical IEM, but in my opinion, that's not a bad thing.  Judging from my Sunrise Xcape V1's, analytical is another way of saying "no bass".  I also like the R1's better than the M3's, which I considered veiled.  While all the notes are present, there just seems to be something between the music and my ears. 

I don't think you can go wrong for $35 or so.  Especially if you like more lively IEM's like the Klipsch S4's.     Thaks to dragon2knight for bringing these to my attention.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #335 of 794
My mini review.
(Please note, this review is based on my experience comparing the R1 IEMs to the Sennheiser cx150 and MEElectronics M6).

Sound quality
Compared to the cx150s and M6s the R1 has MUCH greater sound separation and sound detail. Also, there is less overall distortion in the lows and highs on the R1s. The only minus to the sound is that the mids are slightly set back on the soundstage compared to the other IEMs i've used. It isn't muffled, in fact the detail of the mids are there but it sits farther back in your head and is of a lower volume. Female voices are  even more set back, almost weak in comparision to my CX150s. Overall though, the R1s, with all their included goodies, are definitely a step up from what I've owned and I feel quite pleased with my purchase.

I think I'll be looking for a decent BA IEM set next :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #336 of 794
Camikeva and bhima - thanks for your impressions! I'm looking forward to receiving mine tomorrow :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #337 of 794
Thanks to you guys, a pair of brainwavz R1 is now on it's way to me! I'll post some pics, impressions and comparisons to the other sets of earphones as soon as i get them 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #340 of 794
Oct 25, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #341 of 794
I have the mic model, which is designed mostly for iphone.
This makes the headphones not suitable for all 3.5mm sockets (TRS & TRRS), including the 6.35mm adapter provided with them.
They do not work well with my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 as headphones.
I spoke about it with mp4nation customer service - and they suggested to use the FIIO LU1 or LU2 adapter cables, which should resolve this. 
I will try it, and post the results.

I tested them with a friend's IPhone 4, and they work perfectly.

When working well (out of the headphone socket of my laptop), I tend to really like their sound. 
Not as detailed or revealing as my RE0, but more fun, given the amount of bass.
They also feel very comfortable to me.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #343 of 794
Quote:
I have the mic model, which is designed mostly for iphone.
This makes the headphones not suitable for all 3.5mm sockets (TRS & TRRS), including the 6.35mm adapter provided with them.
They do not work well with my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 as headphones.
I spoke about it with mp4nation customer service - and they suggested to use the FIIO LU1 or LU2 adapter cables, which should resolve this. 
I will try it, and post the results.

I tested them with a friend's IPhone 4, and they work perfectly.

When working well (out of the headphone socket of my laptop), I tend to really like their sound. 
Not as detailed or revealing as my RE0, but more fun, given the amount of bass.
They also feel very comfortable to me.

It is not designed mostly for iphone but for new smartphones. Galaxy S uses the old OMTP connection (left, right, mic, ground) and if the R1 mic'd version was made for it it wouldn't work with the new phones and any DAPs without an adapter. So, it's not an issue with the R1 - if you had a Galaxy S3 it would work.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #345 of 794
Anyone played any trance music through them?
How do they sound?

Spun out from my RenovateD and NCX'd HTC One X!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back