Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #271 of 794
x3 for dragon2night, i do feel they are slightly bass heavy but for $35 they sound fantastic and I don't feel cheated at all, thanks for the recommendation, couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #273 of 794
Quote:

Thanks Eric. I'll definitely be burning in those puppies (and the fxd70's when I get them). Would you say 150 hours is extensive enough?

Beautiful! 

WAYNENUMM right now I would say a good 50 hours. I can't say more until then. The D70 - because of the carbon nanotubes - takes a much more extensive burn in.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #274 of 794
Quote:

WAYNENUMM right now I would say a good 50 hours. I can't say more until then. The D70 - because of the carbon nanotubes - takes a much more extensive burn in.

Gotcha, thanks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #275 of 794
I've been burning these in for about 10 hours now and there's been a HUGE change. Mostly in the first 2 hours.
At first listen these sounded extremely bloated with midbass emphasis but that has subdued quite a bit. I still would not call these balanced, I think it's hitting the consumer friendly U-shape sound spot on.

Will do an in depth review eventually, after burn-in/ brain-in, but I think we've got a new kid on the block that's gonna do quite well.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #276 of 794
Whew, thanks for the good words, feels good to know no one thinks I was trying to mislead them...I just put my thoughts up and stick to them :)
I'm loving all the first impressions and reviews so far, makes for great reading. Keep it going!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #277 of 794
Quote:
Whew, thanks for the good words, feels good to know no one thinks I was trying to mislead them...I just put my thoughts up and stick to them
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm loving all the first impressions and reviews so far, makes for great reading. Keep it going!!

Mate, I too bought it based on your initial review, and I was not dissapointed, you have done well indeed, ignore those people who dissed your review.

I still can't put it down 
basshead.gif
 have been using it all night last night and all through this morning

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #278 of 794
Just bite the bullet last weekend, should be receiving mine today or tomorrow. I hear a mix of opinion about the R1 and also different people are using the term "balance" to indicate different thing. Lets just cool down and enjoy our music shall we?

I had ACS T15 (BA) and SoundMagic E30. Burn in doesnt really affects the T15, but it sure changed E30 a lot. Initially, E30 sounds like a pair of cheap IEM with muddy mid and bass is everywhere, I actually wanted to sell it off on the first day of listening to it. But I continued to use it for a week hoping burn-in will help. After about 50h of usage, the real characteristics starts to show. The bass is a lot more controlled, more authoritative, mid starts to shine and vocal starts to get a lot more clearer and crispier. I cant tell if burn-in will will help R1, but surely, i will put it through the same burn-in process before giving my opinion about it.

Cheers dude, lets enjoy the music, not harping so much on equipment :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #279 of 794
I would say these are definitely not balanced earphones. They are bass heavy for sure upon initial inspection. Way more bass and bass hump than the other two IEMs I've got (sound magic e30 and vsonic gr07s). Not a bad thing per se just completely different than the other headphones. I'm a fan no doubt since I listen to a lot of hip hop but I wouldn't say these are balanced at all. U or V shaped for sure.

I wonder if those who say they are balanced are not inserting them and getting a good seal?

I've got pretty significant driver flex in the right bud too. Which is annoying but not unworkable. Might exchange them for a new pair if others don't see it. The left one is fine.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #280 of 794
I have radius atomic bass 2s and they are amazing and i love them unconditionally, but i DEFINITELY chech these out

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #281 of 794
Quote:
I would say these are definitely not balanced earphones. They are bass heavy for sure upon initial inspection. Way more bass and bass hump than the other two IEMs I've got (sound magic e30 and vsonic gr07s). Not a bad thing per se just completely different than the other headphones. I'm a fan no doubt since I listen to a lot of hip hop but I wouldn't say these are balanced at all. U or V shaped for sure.
I wonder if those who say they are balanced are not inserting them and getting a good seal?
I've got pretty significant driver flex in the right bud too. Which is annoying but not unworkable. Might exchange them for a new pair if others don't see it. The left one is fine.

These have pretty thick 'stems,' or whatever you call tehm, and I insert the biflanges pretty deep but no driver flex at all. I'm wondering if your port is blocked in some way?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #282 of 794
Quote:
Whew, thanks for the good words, feels good to know no one thinks I was trying to mislead them...I just put my thoughts up and stick to them
smily_headphones1.gif

You seem like a sincere dude dragon - I highly doubt that you are on the brainwavz payroll or anything lol! I purchased my R1's well after the first flood of impressions - both good and bad - came in. I am good no matter what. The worst case scenario is that I wasted $35 on crap. The best case scenario is that I spent a measly $35 on some dual dynamic driver iem's that punch way above their weight and that are going to bring me a lot of pleasure. I can deal with either extreme, and I'll be happy with anything in between. But one thing is for sure: I won't be blaming you if it's the worst case scenario, but I might try to buy you a beer if it's anything otherwise!
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #283 of 794
Quote:
Wow, you honestly are opionated aren't you? Well, like all of us, you are entitled to them. Why not start your own thread as it seems you think I'm the devil himself.... plus your hurting a good thread here with your childish name calling.... everyone hears things differently, until you learn that, don't review things. Reviewing isn't 'its my way or the highway', it's differing opinions. This is the last time I answer to you, and you weren't even worth me doing this, please go away and leave us civilized folks alone, k? Attack me again and I'll report you....all this over a 35 buck set of IEM'S.... JEEZ.

I didn't call you any names, so stop crying. You wrote on the OP that these are balanced, and sounds like a HM5. You are totally wrong, and have misled a lot of us into thinking that it is. A lot of people here bought these based on your initial review, including myself.

In truth, there is nothing balanced about these. You don't seem to realize the difference between a fact and a personal opinion lmao. Yes, everyone has their own preference of their own sound signatures, but we hear the same sounds. These R1's are completely bass dominant with shadowed mids, and has a U-shaped signature. And that's a FACT; you can't justify it. The bass is so strong that it gives me a headache. There is nothing balanced about these. So yes, you are wrong dude.

I'm doing the public the favor and correcting your description of the R1's, because they deserve to know the truth. They shouldn't waste their money buying these thinking it's actually balanced, as they will be sorry to find out that it's just another aggressive U-shaped IEM's. A lot of people, including myself dislike these signatures. And you are going to report me for that? Head-Fi is a place to find the truth about these products... you are spreading false information, calling it an opinion. If anything you are making this place worse, not me.

These are great IEM's for it's price - just not balanced, like the OP described. It's a U-shaped signature with a strong bass dominance and aggressiveness. If you are looking for balance or a laid back sound, look elsewhere.

And what you do you mean all this for $35 IEM's? Price doesn't matter, you are spreading false info and that's wrong. Don't get mad at me for correcting U. If you think they are balanced, its because you don't know what balanced is. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #284 of 794
Before you guys rip each others heads off, Joker describes a balanced sound as having a slight v or u shape. Neutral and balanced dont mean the same thing. Neutral means flat, balanced does not really mean flat. People described the CKM500 as balanced as well and it also had a slight v or u shape to it.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #285 of 794
Quote:
These have pretty thick 'stems,' or whatever you call tehm, and I insert the biflanges pretty deep but no driver flex at all. I'm wondering if your port is blocked in some way?

No, I've used the bi-flanges and the regular silicones (I don't like foams) and both do it on the right side.  Not at all on the left bud, even when I just get crazy and put the left one in my right ear thinking it may just be the shape of my ear canal.  No luck.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back