Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #256 of 794
Well dragon2knight, we hear differently on some aspects in how you described the the sound signature of the R1 (I'll elaborate more after some significant listening and burn-in), but we do agree on one thing (the most important thing): These earphones sound wonderful and punch way about current asking price. So I for one appreciate your review. 
beerchug.gif

Okay, back to more listening.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #257 of 794
I´ve been listening to them, don´t know for other genres but they are GREAT for metal. Great bass and drumkick sound, and punchy guitar sound. Similar to Fischer Audio Eterna, but I found these a bit more comfortable.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #258 of 794
And so it begins...

Try and be civil. My opinions sometimes go completely against those of others. Some people describe the B2 as 'screechy', 'bright' and 'sibilant'. To me they are an amazing example of a neutral signature, and I feel like it's others who are used to a bassy signature. Just perspective. In my opinion these aren't neutral or jaw-dropping for the price, but I don't feel cheated. To be honest, I was interested in the bragging rights of owning a double-dynamic 
wink.gif

By the way, if anyone's struggling with the word to describe the "far-away sound", I think veiled explains it best. I feel the mids are mainly to blame for this, they are recessed, but it feels more like there's a huge dip in a specific frequency and not just a U-shaped signature but something more complex. At some times the vocals seem quite 'there', and then they're miles away.
Something that reminds me of the HA-FX40: it's hard to tell under the sub-bass (very nice by the way), but there are pretty detailed. Not armature-level detail, but not 35$-level either.

I don't believe much in audible burn-in (and definitely not in huge changes), but I'll use them for a while until I start to miss the B2's cymbals. If anyone's interested I can post my impressions then.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #259 of 794
Quote:

I need to know some details :)

I ordered my earphone but really dont expect them to come in a week!
Because here in turkey and whole around the muslim world, wednesday will be the beginning of Korban holiday..
So the post offices wont work.

I think i have at least a week to wait.

[size=10pt]Turkey deliveries mostly takes 10-13 days.My shipment record might give you an idea:[/size]

Code:
 [size=10pt][color=black][font=arial][color=black]CONFIRMED PICK UP [/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]18/Oct/2012 14:45:38 [/font][/color][color=black]HONG KONG[size=x-small][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]
Code:
 [size=10pt][color=black][font=arial][color=black]CONFIRMED PICK UP [/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]19/Oct/2012 14:43:52 [/font][/color][color=black]HONG KONG[size=x-small][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]
Code:
 [size=10pt][color=black][font=arial][color=black]PICK UP ARRIVED AT ORIGIN HUB [/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]19/Oct/2012 15:03:28 [/font][/color][color=black]HONG KONG[size=x-small][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]
Code:
 [size=10pt][color=black][font=arial][color=black]ITEM PROCESSING AT ORIGIN HUB [/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]19/Oct/2012 17:46:10 [/font][/color][color=black]HONG KONG[size=x-small][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]
Code:
 [size=10pt][color=black][font=arial][color=black]ITEM DISPATCHED TO DESTINATION HUB [/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]19/Oct/2012 20:00:32 [/font][/color][color=black]HONG KONG[size=x-small][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]
Code:
 [size=10pt][color=black][font=arial][color=black]ITEM RECEIVED BY DESTINATION HUB [/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]22/Oct/2012 10:12:08 [/font][/color][color=black]SINGAPORE[size=x-small][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]
Code:
 [size=10pt][color=black][font=arial][color=black]ITEM LODGED INTO DESTINATION HUB LOCAL POSTAL AGENT [/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]22/Oct/2012 15:00:31 [/font][/color][color=black]SINGAPORE[size=x-small][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]I'm expecting that shipment will despatch to overseas today (October 23) and it will probably take 2-3 days.And 2-5 more days till I get them after arrival at overseas.[/size][/size]

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #260 of 794
Quote:
I gave them a listen, and to be honest, they sound like crap. It sounds really weak when listening to Linkin Park and Kashiwa Daisuke. I am going to burn these in for a few hours and get back, but initial thoughts (compared to the Image S2ms, they disappoint).

EDIT: I find these bassy, and distorted as well. Everything else feels recessed and a hint of sibilance.

I don't have anything to say about the R1, but thanks for introducing me to kashiwa daisuke :D 

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #261 of 794
You are funny guys. Let it burn-in at least 120h (IE8 have to burn 300h). This is DYNAMIC-dual-drivers IEM. They must give us a lot of bass becouse one driver is special for bass. And looks like they need some amplification. I waiting for my R1 I think next week I have my own pair. I really don't expect much for this iems but for 35$ I can't went wrong :wink:. If my experience will tell me something diffrent I will let you know. (Sorry for my poor english.)

Cheers.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #262 of 794
Quote:
I don't have anything to say about the R1, but thanks for introducing me to kashiwa daisuke :D 

I just bought them at the $35 price. For that price, I couldn't resist. Besides, ericp10 endorses them :)

And I have just now been listening to Kashiwa Daisuke for the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByD5ORT6Mcw

Been very much enjoying it! Awesome.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #263 of 794
Quote:

I just bought them at the $35 price. For that price, I couldn't resist. Besides, ericp10 endorses them :)

And I have just now been listening to Kashiwa Daisuke for the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByD5ORT6Mcw

Been very much enjoying it! Awesome.

I think you will like them. I think the problem is that many here listen for a hour or two and decide then if they are keepers or not for them. With dynamics (more so than with BAs) I feel you can't make a clear fair assessment on an earphone without extensive burn-in!!

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #264 of 794
I see some people disagree about the R1's sound and how good it is. Dragon2knight is not to blame for anything - he's just given his opinion, which may differ from yours and it's not like he put a gun to your heads and made you buy the R1. This is head-fi and everyone has different opinion and different preferences and that's why you should hear the stuff yourselves and not trust every review. As far as R1's sound goes, for me you're all wrong until I receive mine and give my opinion - then whoever has the closest opinion to mine will be right and all the others will be wrong LOL

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #265 of 794
Quote:
I see some people disagree about the R1's sound and how good it is. Dragon2knight is not to blame for anything - he's just given his opinion, which may differ from yours and it's not like he put a gun to your heads and made you buy the R1. This is head-fi and everyone has different opinion and different preferences and that's why you should hear the stuff yourselves and not trust every review. As far as R1's sound goes, for me you're all wrong until I receive mine and give my opinion - then whoever has the closest opinion to mine will be right and all the others will be wrong LOL

x2 ... Definitely unfair to blame dragon2knight for liking an earphone you may not like (generally speaking). If people are going to be that way, I would suggest leaving head-fi and not buying anything that you don't get a chance to listen to on your own first.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #267 of 794
One advice: it's cool to hope that burn-in will actually improve your IEMs (I've always found amusing how believers in audible burn-in always report just changes for the better, never for worse), but to expect to actually find whole new IEMs with a different sound signature is fooling yourself. Letting them burn-in is smart, because it's free and you have nothing to lose, but when someone doesn't like a pair of IEMs after 30 min, they probably won't like them after 30 hours.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #268 of 794
Quote:
I think you will like them. I think the problem is that many here listen for a hour or two and decide then if they are keepers or not for them. With dynamics (more so than with BAs) I feel you can't make a clear fair assessment on an earphone without extensive burn-in!!

Thanks Eric. I'll definitely be burning in those puppies (and the fxd70's when I get them). Would you say 150 hours is extensive enough?

Quote:
As far as R1's sound goes, for me you're all wrong until I receive mine and give my opinion - then whoever has the closest opinion to mine will be right and all the others will be wrong LOL

Beautiful! 

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #269 of 794
Quote:
One advice: it's cool to hope that burn-in will actually improve your IEMs (I've always found amusing how believers in audible burn-in always report just changes for the better, never for worse), but to expect to actually find whole new IEMs with a different sound signature is fooling yourself. Letting them burn-in is smart, because it's free and you have nothing to lose, but when someone doesn't like a pair of IEMs after 30 min, they probably won't like them after 30 hours.

you are right, burn in only makes small changes, but they are still audible. also, burn in can't make anything sound "worse", because it just improves the mechanical abilities of the driver and I don't see how a constricted in movement driver would sound better than burnt in, more "free" driver... if that makes any sense though :)

as for amping - I don't think those will need any. sensitivity and impedance are quite good to be driven directly from any source and amplifing  won't make any difference, if of course the amplifier is neutral and only does that - amplify the signal...

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #270 of 794
Just got mine. Haven't tested it that much but one thing I noticed was that vocals get pushed back or sound separate/distant. For some music it works well. I was testing them with some LCD SoundSystem and it sounded very good.

I am not exactly sure how to describe but there is something wrong with the highs or mids (I am not too sure), EQ does help that but it doesn't beat my RE-262 in any way. That said with the current deal and all add ons this is a pretty impressive product. I have to test it more but I feel amping should help as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back