Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #226 of 794
just got my R1 as well.... well listening to it now... spacious is my first impression... soundstage is wide.. however it is has only decent depth therefore it's kinda lacking abit of 3-D feeling or something like that. I hope it will get better with burn in... and it is just slightly u shaped you can hear the mids, however the low and high are the highlight of the R1 in presentation.. I would still call it leaning to balanced, however.. I think m2 has better mids... also seperation is average also...

well all those things said.. thinking I only paid for there about 35 dollars with 5 dollar custom.. i would say... this is one hell of an earphone.. while the high is better representated in m4 the combination of 2 dynamic driver makes for an interesting experience. 

actually I somehow reminds me of ath m50 sound. although not to that quality yet however it brings back a similar first impression and I like it. 

well that's from my humble ears... right now I am just gonna enjoy R1 for what it is... 

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #227 of 794
Quote:
It shouldn't sound like that, you somewhat describe the sound that can happen when you use a mic version on a device that doesn't support TRSS connector. Is yours with mic?

edit: nm, i see you tried it on different devices. Try and see if you can get a better seal.

Mine isn't with the mic. Some songs sound good.. others not so much... mostly the instruments sound distant and the sound isn't loud enough. Comparing to the M1, the M1 were MUCH clearer with higher volume and felt like i was listening to the band infront of me with enough distance between them to separate instruments. This feels more like nothing is infront of me and everything is placed around me on the sides (Vocals are comparatively distant). I CAN feel the bass  and some instruments like I should and the strings sound more "complete".. but not the rest. Burning them in now.. maybe that would help open them up.. or maybe I'm just used to that kind of arrangement in my IEMs and it'll take me time to adopt it.. whatever it is... it just feels like I'm missing something.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #228 of 794
ok using the comply tips... i believe i can see the idea of balance with the comply tips alot more than the bi flanged ones.. soundstage become abit smaller however i also get more 3d feeling out of it.. 

i'll go with amp later on...  now just enjoying it straight from my laptop

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #229 of 794
Quote:
So tempted to order some of these tomorrow before the offer runs out. Has anyone from UK received them yet? Any customs issues?
These will be my first dual-driver IEMs.
biggrin.gif

PS. Are these going to be available from MP4Nation Amazon.co.uk store anytime soon??
EDIT: Also, has anyone tested these with Trance music?? I'm a Trance DJ and it would be nice to know if I'll be just wasting my time buying these or if it's really worth a shot... thanks!

I would let you know for sure, I'm getting mine tomorrow and I listen to mostly Trance

Good to hear mate, thanks.

Really don't wanna miss out on this deal.

Spun out from my RenovateD and NCX'd HTC One X!

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #231 of 794
Quote:
See this review, it has a good pic of them being worn 
smile.gif
 They are worn over the ear.
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/f46/brainwavz-r1-mini-review-dual-dynamic-driver-earphones-18377/

Wearing mine straight down right now. Works perfectly fine as well :)

On another note, I like the cable, it feels more sturdy than the one on the (new) M4+ and the M5. However, not too pleased with the strainreliefs on the housings and the top of the Y-split (which is actually missing, but instead had a rather large chin-slider).
The new mic is also very nice.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #232 of 794
Wearing mine straight down right now. Works perfectly fine as well :)

On another note, I like the cable, it feels more sturdy than the one on the (new) M4+ and the M5. However, not too pleased with the strainreliefs on the housings and the top of the Y-split (which is actually missing, but instead had a rather large chin-slider).
The new mic is also very nice.

Care to comment on the sound and music you're listening to?

PS. I couldn't wait any longer while biting my nails and checking to make sure the deal was still available. I took the plunge and just ordered my R1s with Mic (even though I will rarely use it). I still have my Walkman from few years back. :D

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #233 of 794
Quote:
My friend is finally convinced that mp4nation is a safe seller after reading this thread and $35 is now gone from my wallet
beerchug.gif

hahaha congratulation, I can tell you mp4nation is a safe seller.. after few hundred bucks of orders throughout the year.. i can vouch for their service, and their warranty quite awesome as well, had my nationite mp3 broken last year, they acted really fast and sent me a replacement right away after they confirmed it is a faulty product. well sending it to hk abit annoying however.. it isn't that big of a deal. 

if you feeling more convinced later in the future and want a better iems... their M3 is still my fave... so far... 

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #234 of 794
Missed my delivery this morning. I am most impressed with the speed of shipping to the UK from Hong Kong. 

Should get them tomorrow. 

To all who have asked for impressions on these. Give it a week or so, there should be plenty by then.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #235 of 794
Quote:
Care to comment on the sound and music you're listening to?
PS. I couldn't wait any longer while biting my nails and checking to make sure the deal was still available. I took the plunge and just ordered my R1s with Mic (even though I will rarely use it). I still have my Walkman from few years back.
biggrin.gif

Mostly instrumental post-rock/post-metal. Sometimes metal, or trip-hop:
http://www.last.fm/user/-skyler-/charts?subtype=artists
I also own the M4+ and M5 (both with mic), and compared to those the bass sounds very full, almost boomy, especially with the triphop (as expected I suppose).
They're much more pleasant when listening to certain postrock as well. There are a few bands (such as Tides From Nebula) I really can't listen to with the M4+ because they get too bright and hurt my ears. With the M5 I don't have that at all, and the R1 seems to be somewhere in between.
'Harper Lewis' by Russian Circles definitely sounds excellent: http://rcrdlbl.com/artists/Russian_Circles/track/Harper_Lewis/ . Nice full bass drum, yet you can still hear the guitars and cymbals very clearly.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #236 of 794
I just received mine today

First of all, let me just say that the new case is absolutely DOPE!!...Brilliant!!...hands down the best case that I ever get (IMHO better than my UE's 'metal' case, and even better than my MTPC's leather wallet), well done to include such a brilliant case...

Secondly, let me also say that this is also one of the best value IEM that I have, I bought the one with mic for $39.50 and despite of what I write below, this is to anyone who is still can't make up their mind, buy it...oh and did I mention how nice the case is? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Now here is my take on it - (source is 320k mp3 from ipod classic, and itunes though Fiio E10)

1. Soundstage is wide, though it feel 'distant', I can't really describe it unfortunately, but it doesn't really worry me to be honest...
  2. Volume is pretty low, on my ipod classic I normally set the volume to about 60% to 75%, but with R1, I have to turn it right up to about 90%.
  3. Bass - very nice, it sounds 'full', and quality wise IMHO is better than M4, though it is not tight, extend almost to sub-bass region, though not as low as Hippo VB
  4. Treble - very nice, no sibilance, and not bright at all.
  5. Mids - now this is where I am torn, it's not recessed, but for some reason, as I mentioned above, the vocals sound 'distant', almost feel like there is a short distance between the singer and the microphone. One song I always use to test the mids is called The Special Two, by Missy Higgins (one of my favourite song of all time), it's basically just vocal and piano - with M5, or even UE700, I can picture Missy is playing the piano, while singing, but with R1, it feels like Missy is singing, and someone else is playing the piano (if that makes sense?) - Sorry that I can't use the proper term and technical words to describe it 
    tongue_smile.gif
  6. Seperation is OK, not as good as M4
  7. Definetely benefit from amping

To conclude, again, let me say that despite my opinion above, R1 is one of my best purchase, and you guys who are still thinking whether to buy or not, think no more and buy it, you won't be dissapointed - overall, I think it's better than M4 and M5, and I actually prefer the R1 compared to my W3 or Silver Bullet, and the best of all, it only cost me $39.50...

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #238 of 794
2 hours later and I still cant put it down...putting it through its paces through Spotify premium, listening all sorts of tunes and genre with 320k streaming...

It is absolutely awesome, if i have to pick a genre weakness, i would have to say maybe EDM but thats being really picky...

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #240 of 794
Thanks to OP. FEDEX delivered today. I have been using it on off for 3 hrs now. I like it. So far no complaint, my take this is the fun version of GR02 BE which became boring after awhile because it lacks what it supposed to have, bass.

Some compared R1 to M2 which I owned. For me bass is better, vocal not recessed like M2, slightly better treble.

Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back