Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #766 of 794
  hello y'all, 
im a bit of a warm+sweet-bass-heavy guy. is this recommended for me? 
and also, how's the sound isolation and the sound leakage? 

R1 is decent but there are better iems for the money. As far as isolation - it's sub-par.You might wanna get something like mh1c (if you don't mind the horrible cable) or vsonic VSD1. Both are superior to R1. The mh1c is warmer and bassier than VSD1 but it's bass is on the slow side and the highs are a bit laid back but are not prone to sibilance. In comparison VSD1 is warm but closer to neutral and its bass is more controlled and punchier but less in quantity. Vsd1's treble is more pronounced and with more sparkle but as with other vsonic iems is a bit prone to sibilance. You can also check the vsonic VSD1S, which has less bass but its tighter and and has better impact. Check joker's thread for other suggestions - the SteelSeries Flux In-ear looks like it could be a pretty good choice too.

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #767 of 794

R1 is decent but there are better iems for the money. As far as isolation - it's sub-par.You might wanna get something like mh1c (if you don't mind the horrible cable) or vsonic VSD1. Both are superior to R1. The mh1c is warmer and bassier than VSD1 but it's bass is on the slow side and the highs are a bit laid back but are not prone to sibilance. In comparison VSD1 is warm but closer to neutral and its bass is more controlled and punchier but less in quantity. Vsd1's treble is more pronounced and with more sparkle but as with other vsonic iems is a bit prone to sibilance. You can also check the vsonic VSD1S, which has less bass but its tighter and and has better impact. Check joker's thread for other suggestions - the SteelSeries Flux In-ear looks like it could be a pretty good choice too.

sound quality wise, which one is better? R1 or the mh1c ?

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #771 of 794
Personally i would go with these for you, but I never had the mh1c.
I use the foam tips and the isolation amazing.

I could not agree more, with the right tips, isolation is NOT below normal, it's just fine thank you very much. And I live in NYC, noisy as all get out, and these isolate just fine. I also use Comply tips, they are the best choice for the R1's. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #772 of 794
I have to disagree. R1's isolation is average at best due to the vent holes on the front of the housings. It doesn't matter whether you use comply tips or tri-flanges. It not even near good let alone amazing. Amazing is when the iems are in your ears and you're not listening to music and you still can't hear anything at all from the outside world - you can clap your hands, snap your fingers and you won't hear a thing. Now, if you cover the R1's vents the isolation becomes pretty good.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #774 of 794

I have to disagree. R1's isolation is average at best due to the vent holes on the front of the housings. It doesn't matter whether you use comply tips or tri-flanges. It not even near good let alone amazing. Amazing is when the iems are in your ears and you're not listening to music and you still can't hear anything at all from the outside world - you can clap your hands, snap your fingers and you won't hear a thing. Now, if you cover the R1's vents the isolation becomes pretty good.

is the isolation of mh1c good  in "let alone amazing"?
i want just enough isolation to get rid of my mom's voice when she's scolding me. 
or when i'm in the bus or busy streets.

Covering the vents makes the bass more controlled anyway, so it's not a bad idea.

what do you mean by "controlled" ? you mean it will be lessened?

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #776 of 794
After a long struggle to get a decent fit with these IEMs, got a chance to listen to them. Wow! Bright, engaging, highly detailed, unforgiving and ear fatiguing sound I've heard so far. Owned previously: ep 630 -> Xears N3i -> Xears XE 200 Pro -> Vsonic GR06. Also have listened to 8320, M2, GR02 BE, TS02, MH1C, UE600vi more than a couple of times.

Quote:
  I've got the R1 2 weeks ago and I've got to say that I am not liking anything about the sound. Whenever I am using it, be it with my ipod, my htc one, or my colorfly c4, I am still yearning for it to sound better than my stock iem for htc one or the monoprice 8320. Maybe I am expecting too much from it.

Is it because it is too bright? Cause that was the only reason i didn't like at the beginning... 

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #777 of 794
  After a long struggle to get a decent fit with these IEMs, got a chance to listen to them. Wow! Bright, engaging, highly detailed, unforgiving and ear fatiguing sound I've heard so far.

are the R1s for the trebleheads? i'm a bit of a bass-heavy guy and im planning on ordering this online but i cant audition them. so is this any good for me? 
currently, i own a pair of koss portapros and i like the sound signature so much. ( dont know it that helps...)

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #778 of 794

are the R1s for the trebleheads? i'm a bit of a bass-heavy guy and im planning on ordering this online but i cant audition them. so is this any good for me? 
currently, i own a pair of koss portapros and i like the sound signature so much. ( dont know it that helps...)

R1 is bass-heavy, the treble comes down after burn-in

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #779 of 794

Not for treble heads, No.
Like I mentioned, they are bright (Bright - A sound that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. Harmonics are strong relative to fundamentals.) to my taste. Coming from an year of listening in GR06, I felt they are a bit harsh. I found ample amount of bass, but still I wouldn't consider them bass heavy as I felt they are available only when necessary. 
TS02 n MH1C are a bit more bass heave IMHO. All these analysis are only after a couple of hours of listening in R1. 

If the treble comes down after burn-in, like BenF says, this might seem like a bassy IEM or warm+sweet IEM, who knows. Will update you guys soon

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #780 of 794

R1 is bass-heavy, the treble comes down after burn-in

Not for treble heads, No.
Like I mentioned, they are bright (Bright - A sound that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. Harmonics are strong relative to fundamentals.) to my taste. Coming from an year of listening in GR06, I felt they are a bit harsh. I found ample amount of bass, but still I wouldn't consider them bass heavy as I felt they are available only when necessary. 
TS02 n MH1C are a bit more bass heave IMHO. All these analysis are only after a couple of hours of listening in R1. 

If the treble comes down after burn-in, like BenF says, this might seem like a bassy IEM or warm+sweet IEM, who knows. Will update you guys soon

thanks guys! 
i think this is my next iem. i'll buy them soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back