Brainwavz R1 Review
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #691 of 794
Just joined so I can write an opinion about this iem since i bought it after seeing it received very positive reviews on this thread

I just received mine today and i've been listening in for a few hours now and I do not believe in burn ins so i can say that my opinion is pretty set

Base:
Because I'm somewhat a basshead I've payed particular attention to bass while listening to random choices of music on my phone. I must admit, the bass had a pretty weak  presence and hardly meets the quote "rich in bass" that they advertise. The songs lost some energy due to the unsatisfactory bass from this iem.

Mid:
Definitely recessed a bit. This iem is not for you if mid is an important factor to you. Which in my case isn't, but i still was forced to boost mids for songs that needed it.

Treble:
I was satisfied by the treble. I was able to experience clear sounds, but i can't say it's outstanding enough for this iem to be called treble oriented. I'd say it was OK

Soundstage was pretty good as you'd expect from dual dynamics, it's easy to catch some sounds that you didn't notice on a single driver

I am impressed by the set of accessories and the packaging, but disappointed that no matter what tips i use they just eventually slide off my earholes with the exception of the foam tips

I am also quite saddened because of having driver flex on both sides

If it were me, I wouldn't suggest this ever at a 50$ price and even at the sale price of 35$ since this price range is so competitive that it has wonderful iem that would better sound than this. Hell if you want to be so bored with the sound I'd suggest etykids which is only 25$ on amazon.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #692 of 794
I just recieved my new V2 R1s (after being refused a swap of my V1 for a new one).

And they sounded like... listening to music through a mile long underwater tunnel. Which was shocking considering the old one could knock the socks off my Fischer Audio Tandem easily (and to my ears, the Tandem was a tad better rounded than even the FXT-90, so that's saying quite a lot).

Definitely defective. I whipped a RMA request through the MP4Nation website right away.

Also, seems that while the older V1s had slightly slimmer than Comply T400 nozzles (T200?), the V2 had nozzles that fit the T400 so tightly that it was almost impossible to get a T400 on OR off.

The memory wire, relocated mic and new earwax filter was good though.

If the IEM actually worked.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #693 of 794
All that (and the less than stellar review from the guy above) leads me to believe the V2 R1 probably has:

1) A different sound sig than the old one.

2) More pronounced QC issues (the other guy had a housing pop out, and my old V1 R1 had ZERO driver flex).

I hope this doesn't turn out to be like the whole FA Eterna V1/V2 thing all over again.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #694 of 794
Is it just me or do the R1's sound a bit quieter than other IEMS? Im compairing them to my soundmagic E10 and on the same volume level on my computer, the R1's end up sounding quieter. Defective? 

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #695 of 794
Quote:
Is it just me or do the R1's sound a bit quieter than other IEMS? Im compairing them to my soundmagic E10 and on the same volume level on my computer, the R1's end up sounding quieter. Defective? 

Different IEMs have different impedances and efficiencies. It's not unusual for different IEMs to reach different loudness levels on the same volume. So long as there's no channel imbalance it's probably normal.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #696 of 794
I received my set from mp4nation the other day. Have no issues with build quality at all, and the included accessories are fantastic. I ran a brief break in procedure of pink noise, white noise and swept sine waves for about 6 hours (will probably run another break in during today).

So far I'm quite impressed. I also own a pair of Meelec m151's and a pair of UE400's and the R1's have a more open stage than either and possibly more detail in the top end (and my hearing is not the best) as well. They seem to handle lower quality source material well too. My only issues are that the memory wire can tend to pull the driver out of my ear after a while and there are slight microphonics, which I don't get from the m151's

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #697 of 794
I find the R1s benefit from iBasso T3 a lot. They lose some quantity of bass but it certainly becomes more accurate while the mids move to the front of the spectrum and the highs extend even more.

All in all, if you want your R1s to become more analytical and detailed, try to amp them with the T3 little thing. I dare to say they sound similar with my TF10 when amped with this tiny amp. I suppose this will turn to be an interesting paiing - I don't know if anyone has tried it in the previous pages but it seriously rocks.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #698 of 794
Question for R1 users..?

I'm using mine with the i-phone..getting decent results
When I plug them into my computer..get much stronger bass & over all SQ increases.
Is an amp recommended for the R1's,for best results,if so,which one is best for portable use?

Tnx
Mike

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #700 of 794
Quote:
I will seldom use an amp with my R1's, if I do I use my Fiio E11 on EQ 2 for gnarly bass

Invalid,thanks for your reply..
Seems the problem was ,.. user error..I'm a bit new to IEM's
I switched to another eartip,believe it the isolation tip,much better fit 

Now,I'm getting a much better sound,and the I-phone seems to be giving me ,plenty of juice

Tnx
Mike

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #701 of 794
Quote:
the memory wire can tend to pull the driver out of my ear after a while

Personally experiencing this problem quite seriously, not enjoying being forced to use foam tip only

Also according to Mp4nation's customer support driver flex on R1's are completely normal thing

I guess I have no choice but to get rid of it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #703 of 794
I got to listen to my friend's R1's for a bit... listening for the entire duration of class :). With only limited listening I can't say much as these are first impressions, but I must say my opinions differ from the OP's quite a bit. These are extremely coloured and not even close to the Branwavz B2 in soundstage, frequency balance or extension. The B2's are analytical ultra-detailed IEMs and the R1's don't even come close in any way. Now onto my impressions.

Bass:
Definitely a monstrous midbass hump. The bass pounds, slams and dominates the sound signature, making the R1 a perfect budget earphone for bassheads. Extension is acceptable for a $30 IEM, although sub bass rolloff is pretty significant and it can get a little loose at times. Not bad, but it's nothing like the ultra detailed punchy solid almost linear bass of the B2's. However, most bassy earphones at this price point produce horribly loose bass, so the R1's certainly get a +1 here for bassheads.

Mids:
After the mountain of bass, the sound signature takes a steep nosedive into a valley of recessed mids. Mids are very far away, giving the impression of a large soundstage. Vocals are extremely distant to the point where you lose the texture and richness of the human voice, and what you get is thinned out mids that really aren't satisfying to listen to. Mids in the B2's are in nice balance with the bass and edge towards slightly sibilant and thin with slightly too much upper mids.

Treble:
Treble was quite good. Clarity is decent, nothing like the ultra clear B2's, however it avoids sibilance and is acceptably smooth. There's also a bit of sparkle up at the top, but nothing to amaze. Extension is also decent - it drops off a fair bit below 20khz but there's enough treble to impart decent clarity.

Soundstage:
I didn't get to test the soundstage properly but it was very large, primarily due to the sound signature (v shaped monitors tend to have large soundstages). For a person used to headphones, the R1's are nicely spacious. However, it sounded a bit... weird, a bit off - as if the mids got misplaced and a subwoofer got mounted to the back of your head. Unlike the super accurate soundstage of the B2 and AKG K701, the R1's have an almost distorted soundstage and disregarded the soundstage of the recording. It's as if the soundstage is set to a constant size. It's not unlistenable and certainly better than some other $30 IEMs but it certainly isn't accurate.

Conclusion:
A solid V-shaped basshead IEM for $30, the R1 represents great sound at a budget price. Admittedly, I didn't like it much but it is very cheap and there are few IEMs that can exceed them in both bass and treble performance at this price point. Just don't buy these if you love your mids.

EDIT: Oh and there's massive driver flex on both sides.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #704 of 794
So my first reaction to these was, wow, the mids are odd. It sounds like I'm in a tunnel or something. I was very disappointed, almost to the point that I wanted to return them. Maybe I've just gotten used to them, but after using them quite a bit (probably 10 hours or so), they sound much much better to my ears. To the poster above me that says that the sound of someone singing sounds far away, I really have to disagree with you there. I have no issues with the mids on these at all. These are fantastic sounding IEMs, and if you like pounding bass, these definitely fit the bill. The only issue I've had is with some driver flex while playing some bass heavy tunes cranked up all the way. All in all, I'm really digging these, plus I run alot, and these are great for running, very comfortable when worn over the ear.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #705 of 794
Quote:
So my first reaction to these was, wow, the mids are odd. It sounds like I'm in a tunnel or something. I was very disappointed, almost to the point that I wanted to return them. Maybe I've just gotten used to them, but after using them quite a bit (probably 10 hours or so), they sound much much better to my ears. To the poster above me that says that the sound of someone singing sounds far away, I really have to disagree with you there. I have no issues with the mids on these at all. These are fantastic sounding IEMs, and if you like pounding bass, these definitely fit the bill. The only issue I've had is with some driver flex while playing some bass heavy tunes cranked up all the way. All in all, I'm really digging these, plus I run alot, and these are great for running, very comfortable when worn over the ear.

I agree..+1.
I've done about 200 hours on mine,and although the bass is a bit too strong for me..I think the overall SQ is very good.,and for the $29.99 I laid out for them,I'm happy
I am waiting on the B2's as well,according to Brainwavz,they are supposed to be back in stock ,the end of March,{got this from an e-mail too Brainwavz customer support}

For iamthem ,is it really possible to get an accurate impression ,when your sitting in a "class" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back