Brainwavz ProAlpha or M2? Which is the better deal?
Dec 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

McFatterson

New Head-Fier
I started out with the Meelec M9.  Was pretty impressed with the quality for only paying $10.  Nice warm sound with good bass but  I felt they just weren't clear enough....   So I got the Brainwavz M1 based on reviews that they were a very neutral and clear headphone for the money.    My question is where's the bass?  There is very little impact compared to the m9.  Also they are kinda hard to take in and out of the ears due to their shape so it's hard to get a good seal and isolation is not as good. 

I placed an order for the ProAlpha since it's said to be a bit better for bass than the M1 (will be gifting the M1) but now I'm thinking I should just refuse shipment and just go for the Brainwavz M2.

Opinions for those that have tried both?

Is the M2 really worth the extra money over the ProAlphas?
Anything else I should be looking at in the same price range?  

Device I use is a ipod Nano 6th generation and occasionally iphone 4.
Do many people use amps with these like the fiiO E5 for better sound or should I not even bother?

Any help is appreciated.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 27

Are the refurbished Monster Turbines legit or would it be better to stick with a new IEM for a full warranty?   I'd be doing work and other activities in them,  they'll be used quite a bit.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 27
Broke down and got the M2s.   Really wanted the turbines but couldn't risk them breaking on me.

I sure hope the stock tips are better than the M1 and hopefully I won't need an amp with my 6th gen nano. 

thanks for all the replies guys.

I'd like to add that MP4Nation has the worst customer service and return policy.  They try to get you to buy through there site directly with their discounts but don't be fooled.  It's much better to just order through Amazon.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 27
I've never had any problems with shopping @ mp4nation either.. That might change in the future but up until now the service I've received as been great. Good luck with your M2's OP..

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 27
My problem was I wanted to return the M1 before I even got it.  I contacted them about this and they said they will have to charge me 7.50 for returns even though shipping was free.  The thing was being shipped from their Amazon warehouse which coincidentally is a ten minute drive from me.  I told them about this but they said it's their policy and how it's my fault I ordered directly from their site and not from Amazon which has a 30 day full money back return policy.  I told them I only ordered from their site because I 'friended'  them on facebook for there 5% off discount (I originally did it for the 10 dollars off M1 deal but it wouldn't work)

The guy started getting an attitude with me so I just let it be.

Bottom line, just buy from Amazon.... at least you won't have to deal with clowns trying to charge you extra if you decide to return and you'll have 30 days to do so...  MP4nation is only 7 days.

As far as the performance of the M1 I'm still unimpressed after trying multiple tips and multiple devices... some say they are not "bass light" but I would say they are just that.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 27
M2. Great cable and build, nice mid-sort-of-focused sound. Not so sure about the longevity though.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 27
Just got the M2s today (that was fast).  

Overall much better than the M1 in terms of construction quality and listening experience at first listen.  They actually fit my ears quite well with the stock tips unlike the M1.  Very easy to take in and out.  The bass can slightly drown out the vocals on certain songs (all my music is 320bit or higher) but it's not a big deal to me.... everything is for the most part clear and enjoyable.  Very happy with these so far.  Will update if anything changes.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 27
Hope you enjoy them!

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
My problem was I wanted to return the M1 before I even got it.  I contacted them about this and they said they will have to charge me 7.50 for returns even though shipping was free.

I am charged for shipping too ($27 for 3 parcels). The parcels were "Return to Sender" without even getting delivered to me. Getting a B2 instead.

Can you compare the bass (and overall clarity) of M2 with other IEMs you own ?

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 27
After listening to these more I noticed they produce a weird sibilance type ring sound that is really starting to annoy me.  Tried different sources and genres... same thing.  It sounds like it's coming from the drums.

Anyone else notice this with the Brainwavz headphones?  The M1 does it as well just not as bad as the M2.  Does this go away with burn in?

Can anyone recommend a clearer sounding M9 style headphone?

As far as clarity it goes M1 > M2 > M9 > ipod bud

As far as bass it goes M9 > M2 > M1 > ipod bud

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 27
You might have missed out on the newest batch but ya take a look at this thread. These might be what you are looking for. http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club/720#post_7946567 I am very confident you will be happy with the sound quality on these...They might sell out tonight however.. monoprice.com

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 27
I saw those buy they are soo ugly and I prefer to wear my headphones straight down.  For $9 shipped i'll probably give them a try.  Hopefully I can get them before Xmas if I order tonight so I can gift them if I don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back