Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001
Nov 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #286 of 308
i'm experiencing a love/hate situation with this. it's working tremendous with already easy to drive earphones but struggling with hungry ones (like havi & r3). definitely useless with havi & r3. do not helps bass capacity and can't even deliver enough volume without distortion. but i must say, my koss kdx200 instantly became kdx400 after pluggin into ap001 :) far better than e11's bass for shure. there was so much bass i couldn't believed my ears, it seems the claims were true about that. it does not just eq frequencies like the e11. i'll further investigate this later, hope i'm not mistaken.

note: that blue light does not go off when there's no sound at all. even if i mute the sound from windows it does not go off. when i unplug the input cord it immediately goes off, but if i unplug the other end of the cord (from the sound source) it waits like ten minutes then goes off.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #287 of 308
  i'm experiencing a love/hate situation with this. it's working tremendous with already easy to drive earphones but struggling with hungry ones (like havi & r3). definitely useless with havi & r3. do not helps bass capacity and can't even deliver enough volume without distortion. but i must say, my koss kdx200 instantly became kdx400 after pluggin into ap001 :) far better than e11's bass for shure. there was so much bass i couldn't believed my ears, it seems the claims were true about that. it does not just eq frequencies like the e11. i'll further investigate this later, hope i'm not mistaken.

note: that blue light does not go off when there's no sound at all. even if i mute the sound from windows it does not go off. when i unplug the input cord it immediately goes off, but if i unplug the other end of the cord (from the sound source) it waits like ten minutes than goes off.

Mine go off immediately after unplugging it from all the jacks. 

And yes... I use mine with Garage1217 Project Sunrise III to boost the bass and warmth for fun and it work great! 

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #288 of 308

Mine go off immediately after unplugging it from all the jacks.

is it closes itself when there's no song playing but source is still on (not in sleep mode) ? i was expecting something like that since i'm using my computer with it. maybe i was expecting too much... same goes for the performance. compared to r1 + e11, what i'm experiencing right now with r3 or havi + ap001 is not even comparable. i know this is not e11 but i was expecting something better. too much distortion on high volumes and it distorts even with no frequency enhancement (by equalizer) applied. i don't know if the amp or earphones causing this but that's what i'm experiencing... it still works good with easy to drive earphones though.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #289 of 308
is it closes itself when there's no song playing but source is still on (not in sleep mode) ? i was expecting something like that since i'm using my computer with it. maybe i was expecting too much... same goes for the performance. compared to r1 + e11, what i'm experiencing right now with r3 or havi + ap001 is not even comparable. i know this is not e11 but i was expecting something better. too much distortion on high volumes and it distorts even with no frequency enhancement (by equalizer) applied. i don't know if the amp or earphones causing this but that's what i'm experiencing... it still works good with easy to drive earphones though.

I connected it to a tube once, to my iPhone, to my iDSD. Once unplugged the power switches off almost immediately.

The EMI is indeed pretty bad. I can't use it while on the go myself specially when your WhatsApp rings almost forever in 3G :frowning2:

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #290 of 308
here's my real world findings about the bass boost frequencies. song used is "therion - the invincible" because it is one of the songs that contains a part (between 1:41-2:01) which clearly reveal any amplification around 125hz. sound source is Audigy 2 ZS. desibel values are the maximum amounts i can tolerate without getting any distortion. tests made with koss kdx200. it's a very flat sounding earphone and ap001's 125hz amplification suited extremely well for this song & earphone combo... it also shows how much ap001 effects to the total volume on my setup. first values unamped, second values amped. differences are in bold.

Volume: %78, %47
31hz = +15db, +15db
63hz = +12db, +12db
125hz = +6db, 0db
250hz = +6db, +6db

so yes it boosts ~125hz by 6 desibels. but this is not the only side of it. it greatly enhances overall bass feeling, removing distortions and widens it. 125hz amplification sounds good with some combinations but sounds bad on others. it depends on what song you're listening and your equipment. if you didn't like it just lower it from your equalizer setting. vaziyetu reported from rize, turkey. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #291 of 308
Just FYI for anyone that was following my wait on the AP001, I got it right before thanksgiving, just didn't have time to post about it. Also haven't had time to give it a go yet so maybe I'll have some comments for this thing by mid-week.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #292 of 308
Just got mine..Been playing with it for about 30 minutes after charging. The Amp is quieter (less hiss) than the FIIO FUJIYAMA. The EQ is a flatter response with just a slight bass enhancement compared to the FIIO set on heavier bass settings. If you like a flatter response with just
slight bass enhancement with much less amp hiss than the FIIO then this is the unit for you. For me and my headset (Audio-Technica WS-99) and my choice of music I need the additional power of the FIIO....

Going on Ebay (Lower 48 U.S. Only)...SOLD!!!

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #293 of 308
  Just got mine..Been playing with it for about 30 minutes after charging. The Amp is quieter (less hiss) than the FIIO FUJIYAMA. The EQ is a flatter response with just a slight bass enhancement compared to the FIIO set on heavier bass settings. If you like a flatter response with just
slight bass enhancement with much less amp hiss than the FIIO then this is the unit for you. For me and my headset (Audio-Technica WS-99) and my choice of music I need the additional power of the FIIO....

Hmm.....I will have to see how this is, it seems like exactly what I'm looking for in sound signature, but I'll have to see if it's what I'm looking for power-wise. Havi B3s are pretty hungry so I'll have to see how that goes.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #294 of 308
Finally posted my review here; http://www.technoheadphone.com/amplifier-dac/amplifier_dac/brainwavz-ap001-review-mini-amplifier/ 

and

http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-ap001-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/12103

I hope Brainwavz solved all the issues mentioned in my review :) 

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #295 of 308
  Finally posted my review here; http://www.technoheadphone.com/amplifier-dac/amplifier_dac/brainwavz-ap001-review-mini-amplifier/ 

and

http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-ap001-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/12103

Good review, and what a lovely website. 
etysmile.gif
 Any chance you'll branch out and review products that are not made by Brainwavz? 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #298 of 308
  Good review, and what a lovely website. 
etysmile.gif
 Any chance you'll branch out and review products that are not made by Brainwavz? 
tongue_smile.gif

I know, I was only kidding. lol I'm surprised his site hasn't turned up for me before though. It's well put together. 

Many thanks! More to come :wink:

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #299 of 308

and

Nice review and blog site!
Right, EMI noise is very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back