Brainwavz M2 vs. MEElectronics CC51?
Sep 5, 2011 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tman1

100+ Head-Fier
After reading joker's and Clieos's reviews I am considering the Brainwavz M2 and CC51 (as long as MEE will take back my 151s). These seem to have similar sound quality based on the reports, with strong, yet non-bloated bass, and good highs. I did numerous searches but haven't found many comparisons between these two. Does anyone have experience with both of these? (Bass impact, microphonics, isolation, overall sound quality, build quality, etc.)

I am a little concerned with the strain relief on the M2 (people have had prolbems with them coming loose or making noise when listening), and the shirt clip on the CC51 (very difficult to remove w/out damging the cord), so any advice with these issues is welcome as well as sound quality.

(History: I just got a pair of MEE A151's to replace my dead PL-50s but I am a little disappointed in the bass response. I've read reviews stating that they have more bass than the PL-50s but I have not found that to be the case, and I've tried every tip that comes with them plus Sony Hybrids. I got a decent seal using a larger single flange than I did with the PL-50s since the A151s can't be inserted as far in the ear, but they have a bit less bass dynamics than I'd like (I listen to rock, and have moved the ClearBass all the way up on my Sony S639, which I did not have to do with the PL50's). I never considered myself a basshead, and was happy with the PL-50s. These are my second pair of PL-50s that lost sound on an earpiece so I figured I'd try something else, and loved the cord and reports of build quality with the A151s. )

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I've had both the CC51p and A151 and I can tell you that while the dynamic drivers in CC51 do give a bit more ground and power, the general flavor is the same. It's like going from Coke Zero to Diet. 

That, and I was underwhelmed by CC51's build and general feel. A151 was already below my expectations and CC51 took it down another notch. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 8
First off do you mean you are looking at MEE M2's or Brainwavz M2's?

As for the CC51 it looks like it is a good contender, but I love my Brainwavz M2's and really think they would be great for you.

If you are stuck between the MEE M2 and CC51 go with the CC51 for sure.  There really is no comparison.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
First off do you mean you are looking at MEE M2's or Brainwavz M2's?

As for the CC51 it looks like it is a good contender, but I love my Brainwavz M2's and really think they would be great for you.

If you are stuck between the MEE M2 and CC51 go with the CC51 for sure.  There really is no comparison.

Brainwavz M2 (see subject line
smile.gif
 ,  vs. CC51)

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I've had both the CC51p and A151 and I can tell you that while the dynamic drivers in CC51 do give a bit more ground and power, the general flavor is the same. It's like going from Coke Zero to Diet. 

That, and I was underwhelmed by CC51's build and general feel. A151 was already below my expectations and CC51 took it down another notch. 

dude you have an awesome name, do you listen to enslaved?????

also, I find the cc51 to be quite good more metal and rock genres as there is no resonance in the way it reproduces guitar sounds. It's also pretty good with most electronic and dance music as it is a bit V-shaped.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 8
bUmp. Anyone else have experience with these?

Do the strain reliefs on the M2 create microphonics by being loose, and the cord rubs against it? Do they come off easily? Leaning toward the M2s but I have a bit of a concern of these strain reliefs, which seem to be the weak point.

Also the cable exit from the earpiece coming unscrewed, since I keep them shoved in my pocket. Do those come loose a lot?

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 8
The only thing I do not like about the Brainwavz M2 is that the cord is really stiff so it keeps its coil.  You can straighten it and stuff the iPod in your pocket easily enough.

I have only had my M2's for a few weeks and cannot speak of its long term durability, but it is designed far better than many IEM's I own.

The microphonics are not bad.  I really do not notice it unless I listen to really soft music.  The build quality, sound signature, and cost far outway the microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back