Brainwavz M2 / R03 Vs. Head-Direct RE2
Jul 18, 2010 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Luc33

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I couldn't find any comparissons between these 2 earphones.
Could someone tell me how they compare?

I own the RE2 and love them, unfortunately I've managed to break them. I`ve been reading good things about the M2s and I`m ready to buy them, but only if they`re really an upgrade from the RE2s.

I understand the M2s got better bass, but what about the sound quality in general? I love the clarity and brightness of the RE2s. Will the M2 be a good replacement?

Thanks in advance :)

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 10
No comparisons out there because the two are completely different.

The RE2s are rolled off at the bottom, cold, bright, and excel in clarity and detail.

The R03/M2s are slightly rolled off at the top, warm, a bit dark, and have excellent timbre and a more natural sound.

If you're after brightness the R03 isn't what you want - even the Hippo VB would probably be a better choice. But if you like the RE2, why not look at the RE0? The clarity and detail are hard to beat at any price.

If the RE0s are too expensive or you're after something even brighter, the JVC HA-FXC80 and RadioPaq Classical may be options to consider. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
No comparisons out there because the two are completely different.

The RE2s are rolled off at the bottom, cold, bright, and excel in clarity and detail.

The R03/M2s are slightly rolled off at the top, warm, a bit dark, and have excellent timbre and a more natural sound.

If you're after brightness the R03 isn't what you want - even the Hippo VB would probably be a better choice. But if you like the RE2, why not look at the RE0? The clarity and detail are hard to beat at any price.

If the RE0s are too expensive or you're after something even brighter, the JVC HA-FXC80 and RadioPaq Classical may be options to consider. 

The RE0 sounds like a great one but it`s a little too expensive for me right now. I`m gonna spend $ 50 max.
I`ll look into these 3 other earphones you mentioned, thanks.

I`ll also look into the M1. How do they compare to the M2 in terms of sound quality?

By the way, I said I like the brightness of the RE2 but I wouldn't mind more bass, and a little bit more "warmth", that`s why the M2 sounded like a good option.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 10
The M1 and M2 are side-grades from each other - neither is really better. The M1 is more balanced and has a bit more treble sparkle. The M2 is warmer and smoother, with a bit more bass and more liquid mids. Mark is  right, the M1 is probably a good option for you.

I don't consider the M2 bright at all which is why it might not be ideal coming from the RE2s - it's not a 180 degree switch but it's close. Nearly anything has more bass than the RE2 so I wouldn't worry about that too much. FXC80s are still a good option for bright sound + bass and the Classicals are too if you can find them.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 10
unfortunately I can't find the FXC80 shipping outside the US/Canada.
For me,  the M1s will end up being more expensive than the M2s. Would you still pick the M1 over the M2 in that case?
(they both sound good to me. mind that I'm no audiophile, and I probably just love the RE2 'cause they're the only quality earphones I've ever owned.)
Any other < $50 IEMs suggestions are welcomed too. I listen mainly to rock (indie/punk/hardcore), folk and instrumental music (post-rock), on a Sansa Clip +.

Thanks

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
why would the M1 be more than the M2?

are you looking at MP4nation?

+1. M1 should be around $40 shipped. If you can find them M2 for less than that I'll be impressed. 

As for other recommendations, maybe the nigh-forgotten Maximo iM-590? Although they too can be hard to get outside the US/Canada. I'd pursue the M1 if I were you.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 10
luc33, 47$ is a bargain. I think the M2 is going for about 70$ on mp4nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back