Brainwavz HM5 Pads (Different Colours / Velour / Leather)
Dec 8, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #197 of 270
Are you talking about the pleather ones? If so I don't find any og them to kill the bass. The velour does that to some extent though.

What headphones are you planning on using them with?

Just wondering, how do the angled pads compare sound wise to phones with an actual angled driver? (the x2 is angled isn't it). Similar presentation, or different altogether?

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #198 of 270
Just wondering, how do the angled pads compare sound wise to phones with an actual angled driver? (the x2 is angled isn't it). Similar presentation, or different altogether?

I've never felt the need to try any other pads on the X2's :wink:

How do they (pleather angled) change the sound on Takstar Pro80?

Unfortunately the angled pleather ones are the only flavor I don't have. I was sent the wrong ones and since I already had the Alpha Pads I didn't do anything about it.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #199 of 270
I've never felt the need to try any other pads on the X2's
wink.gif

What I meant was does having angled pads on any pair of phones = having a pair of phones with an angled driver mounting?

I do realise this is a somewhat vague question, just looking for a generalization. I thought I read that the x2 has an angled driver, and wondered if your pro-80(?) with the angled pads changed presentation to something more like the x2 (soundstage, specifically) or do you find that the only thing changed is the comfort level.

Hope I 'splained it a little better

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #200 of 270
  What I meant was does having angled pads on any pair of phones = having a pair of phones with an angled driver mounting?

Not really because angling the drivers using thicker earpads at the back will increase the distance from the eardrum which will drastically worsen both clarity and bass response. Ideally you want drivers to be as close to your skull as possible, reason why the regular Yoga CD880 earpads are bassier than the memory foam versions.

What headphones are you planning on using them with?

Vintage orthos mostly.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #205 of 270
Just created an account to add my experience using the hybrid ear pads with my DT990s (600ohm model).

Recently I've found myself not using my Beyers that much as they were a bit uncomfortable. I have good size ears and the stock pads are just to thin causing my ear to rub the inner foam (can't stand that). The stock ones also partially rested on my outer ear. I pulled the trigger on the hybrid pads hoping they would fit and not change the sound of my Beyers too much.

The pads look to be well constructed. Install was easer then I expected. Even though these are more oval shaped there is enough material and stretch to get them around the edge of the cans. I think the trick is to stretch them from the inside using your pointer finger. Just be carful as the plastic edge of the Beyers is sharp and may cut into the material.

So the important part, they are supper comfortable and fit great. Being thicker helps a lot. The also provide a bit more isolation then the stock pads (I assume this is from the pleather). Sound wise I was not happy at first. I'm fighting a head cold right now so I'm sure that is not helping . They changed the bass signature a bit, seemed muddy to me. Also treble was reduced somewhat (I really like highs that...sparkle). Seeing as the Brainwavz pads have a liner in the opening and the stock pads do not, I went ahead and carefully cut the liner out and reinstalled. Perfect! That did the trick and helped a good bit returning the sound to what it was before. Bass is sill a bit more pronounced, unless that is just my stopped up head, but not muddy.

If you happen to be on the fence with these for the DT990/880/770s I'd say go for it.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #207 of 270
Will these brainwavz pads fit the noontec hammo s?

Judging from photos, HM5s should fit.  They will stretch a bit to do so, it may be troublesome the first time you put them on.  I doubt that they will need to be stretched as much as is necessary for DT770 or K553.
So 99.99999% confidence of them fitting that Noontec, haha.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #208 of 270
Judging from photos, HM5s should fit.  They will stretch a bit to do so, it may be troublesome the first time you put them on.  I doubt that they will need to be stretched as much as is necessary for DT770 or K553.
So 99.99999% confidence of them fitting that Noontec, haha.

Thanks. I contacted Mp4nation asking for the measurements on the pads and the noontec ones don't go all the way over my ears so I will need new pads anyway. Will measure noontec and post when it's all said and done.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #209 of 270
They're listed as compatible with the K701? how's that possible with all those proprietary clamps on the AKG ones?
Also, is there a difference in sound between the oem ones and the hm5?

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #210 of 270
It must mean that that someone successfully stretched a pair onto the cups of a K701/Q701/K702/etc., and notified mp4nation.  Impressive.  I was afraid of tearing a pair when stretching them onto my K553 as it is.  Nowadays, I can pull off and screw-on the pads I put on my K553 very easily.
No photos of the K70x feat, though.  I did find photos of a K240 with HM5 pads in a quick Google search, it's not that much smaller than K701, if I'm not mistaken.
Note that K240 doesn't have a proprietary system for attaching the earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back