Brainwavz HM5 Pads (Different Colours / Velour / Leather)
Nov 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #241 of 270
I got them. They are not angled, I thought they were from the picture, but I didn't have a preference. Getting them installed is not for the faint of heart. Out of my 4 rings, one got destroyed. I think it might have been damaged before I started, but I definitely finished it off. In desperation to make them fit, I tried trimming down the diameter of the damaged one to see if it would go into the pads that way. It did, but the the clips were completely covered by the pads' retaining flap, or whatever that part is called. I did finally get an un-damaged, un-cut ring into the pads. I started by stretching the pads' flap by hand, around and around to loosen it up. Then I just worked it around the ring until I finally got it. Everyone talks about being careful not to damage the pad, but I think not screwing up the plastic rings by bending them is a bigger concern. I found that my tire mounting skills came into play a little bit. 

First impressions? Well, the bass is not reduced in volume, but I think it has been muddied a little. Actually, I think the whole range has been muddied just a little. It's hard to describe, it's not veiled exactly, just a little blurry. Vocals seem to be more in the foreground, which I actually like. The vocals sounding like they're coming from behind the rest of the music has been my one and only negative thing I keep noticing with my HE-5LE. I think the over all tone is slightly warmer, which is OK. I was hoping the sound stage would open up a little more, but I think it's about the same. The drivers are not only not sitting farther away, but they're actually closer. Even though the pads look very thick, the foam is much softer, so they crush right in. 

Comfort will take more time to figure out. So far though, I'm not impressed. Because the foam is so soft, I feel the drivers are touching my ears and I don't that. But I need to give them time and see what happens. I do think they're a bit warmer too, which isn't good.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #242 of 270
Been a couple days. Maybe they're growing on me. The drivers are barely touching my ears, so I don't seem to notice unless I think about it. I still think they dumb down my HE-5LE's sound in a way that doesn't suite my normal preferences, again, it's not a big change, but the change is in this direction. That said, I have to admit that some of my older music that was probably mastered for old, boomy, analogue systems really comes alive and sounds quite natural now. I think anyone who likes a more vintage sound and has turned down a pair of hifiman phones because they are slightly too harsh or whatever, might really dig this combination!

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #243 of 270
Is there a consensus on which way to wear the Angled pads? Elevated/thicker side in front or back? I'm finding conflicting info. when searching for this answer.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #245 of 270
Man. I tried to buy a pair of black ones. Seems deceptively difficult. Harder than it looks. Brainwave website. I clicked on black. Put them in my cart, then went to check out and paid. I get an email in the middle of the night saying I purchased Red. I immediately email Brainwavz in the a.m. and say I ordered black. They say it is too late, and that I should just refuse the package when it is delivered. I'm not home when the envelope was delivered so they just put it in my mailbox. The pads were delivered in 2 days (fulfilled by Amazon btw). Brainwavz says I need to pay to ship them to Hong Kong to get a "refund". Which will obviously cost more than the $18 I paid. Nice one, Brainwavz. I hope you get rid of all the colors very few people buy.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #246 of 270
Man. I tried to buy a pair of black ones. Seems deceptively difficult. Harder than it looks. Brainwave website. I clicked on black. Put them in my cart, then went to check out and paid. I get an email in the middle of the night saying I purchased Red. I immediately email Brainwavz in the a.m. and say I ordered black. They say it is too late, and that I should just refuse the package when it is delivered. I'm not home when the envelope was delivered so they just put it in my mailbox. The pads were delivered in 2 days (fulfilled by Amazon btw). Brainwavz says I need to pay to ship them to Hong Kong to get a "refund". Which will obviously cost more than the $18 I paid. Nice one, Brainwavz. I hope you get rid of all the colors very few people buy.

Hi Happytalk

We never change orders, in fact, we can't change products on a order on the Shopify system we use, we can only cancel them out, so if n your order has red earpads then thats what was ordered. If we actually were in the business of swapping items in a order, i am quite sure Headfi would be full of complaints and we wouldn't be so welcome here.

However can you provide me your order number so i can check further on this matter.

Thanks

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #247 of 270
I have the Superlux 681 and I was able to stretch regular pleather pads on, they ripped slightly but no other issues. Should I be concerned about the slight rip or are they good one, since they are on and won't be coming off?

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #248 of 270
Can anyone comment on the regular hm5 pleather pads with the Takstar Pro 80 / Kingston HyperX Cloud? I have the latter and would just like to make it a marginally roomier fit, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Just wondering how it affects the sound and isolation.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #249 of 270
Brainwavz says it works with the Takstar Pro80 and i have HM5 Hybrids on my Cloud II's so it should work. They are a bit tough to put on but it's worth it. They are extremely comfy and at least with the hybrids, they dont change the sound signature much. Maybe a bit of a decrease in bass, but not much.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #250 of 270
Cool, thanks Zenrap. I'm planning on going with the full pleather version so I would think they'll likely retain the sound better than the hybrids. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #251 of 270
Brainwavz is having a 20% off sale for Chinese New Year so I'm planning on picking up a couple pairs.

So far I've got the velour pads for my HD650s in my cart.

I do need a new pair of pads for my Beyerdynamic T1s and Dennon D7000 but these are both round. The D7000 uses a mounting ring so I doubt these will fit but thought I'd ask. The T1 use the same pads as the D990 I believe.. so these should fit with some effort.

The sheepskin leather are tempting, anyone has tried these?

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #252 of 270
I have both the leather and the pleather pads. To me they seem equal in comfort and sound. In appearance the pleather pads are just fine, but the leather pads are just a little more premium-looking, and a little nicer to the touch (but feel the same on my head).

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #253 of 270
I took advantage of the coupon code and got an email a day later that the pads were not in stock. I ordered the pleather black angled pads. I then asked if they had the sheepskin angled pads in stock and was also told that they were not and they canceled my order.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #254 of 270
Thanks for the pictures, was actually looking for some pads myself to replace the stock ones. Man do they really hurt after long periods of usage. I was looking for some used/cheap JVC HAM55X or HAM77X that I can get and use those pads but they are kinda hard to find now at a cheap price. I'll just get these instead they seem cheap and easily available. 

I was wondering if anyone tried the angled ones on same or similar headphones and gotten a better sound overall. Otherwise I think it's best to get the regular Memory Foam stock pads for JVC HA-SZ2000.

I have angled pleather on my HA-SZ1000's and it's definitely better overall sound. At least better than stock pads. Like Old man said, better sound stage overall. Also will have enough bass to give you a headache Can't say how they compare to flat HM5 pads though, as I've never had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back