Brainwavz HM5 Pads (Different Colours / Velour / Leather)
Aug 16, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #181 of 270
So I went ahead and ordered black HM5 velour pads for my ATH M40x headphones and it turned out to be a waste of money... Where as the comfort is outstanding and you get a noticeable improvement in sound stage there is a huge drop of bass frequencies. I used my Beyerdynamic DT811 (modified for flatter FR response) as a reference. With the stock pads the M40x sound great through out the frequency range allthough the have noticeably more bass than my Beyers. With the HM5 pads the bass goes way below my Beyers and they suddenly sound more like my dads vintage Pioneer SE-205 that has virtually no extension to either end.

There was a guy on Head-Fi who did a review of the HM5 ear pads on several different headphones and his conlusion of M40x with HM5 pads was that there is roughly a 6dB drop of low frequencies and the sound is unacceptable. I can't find the review now but I really do agree.

What did yield good results though was using a pair of DT250 earpads on the M40x. The change in sound is much more subtle but pretty much only for the better. There is a slight drop of mid bass and the whole sound signature sounds more open and natural.
I had similar experience with my Takstar Pro80. Comfort is outstanding, soundstage is improved overall clarity also better but NO BASS at all. I didn't notice the change in bass at first but after buying Fiio x3ii, I was cribbing about X3ii' bass. Whereas other members were quite happy with the Fiio's bass.
For a change I tried using the original pads and bass came alive. I live in India and its always humid here. Can't use plether pads for long. I hope hybrid pads solve this issue.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #182 of 270
I've been using the angled pleather pads for about 2 months now on my JVC HA-SZ1000's and throb been a massive upgrade from stock. Not only do they really let you feel all the bass, but also form an incredibly tight seal for superb noise isolation.

I may order the velour angled pads to see how they compare. Less ear sweat is always nice, but I need my bass.

@aaDee - how long are you outdoors or without aircon on a daily basis? I live in Singapore and wear the pleather outside for about 1.5 hours a day with little problems.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #183 of 270
I've been using the angled pleather pads for about 2 months now on my JVC HA-SZ1000's and throb been a massive upgrade from stock. Not only do they really let you feel all the bass, but also form an incredibly tight seal for superb noise isolation.

I may order the velour angled pads to see how they compare. Less ear sweat is always nice, but I need my bass.

@aaDee - how long are you outdoors or without aircon on a daily basis? I live in Singapore and wear the pleather outside for about 1.5 hours a day with little problems.
I travel outdoors for almost 2 hours. I'm not sure about Singapore but Mumbai is damn humid on any day of the year. It's monsoon now,so relatively cold now.(23-25 degrees and we feel its pleasant :))
I'm enjoying the stock pads now but I'm sure after a month they will be useless as temperature will increase and I'll not be able to enjoy the music as I intend to. As time passes by the Velours become softer and more comfortable but at the same time bass gets reduced. I really wanted to try pleathers but I know the fact that they will be useless for most times of the year.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #184 of 270
After spending some time with extra thick pads, I think that stock hm5 pads are actually better. Softer that is.

Maybe extra thick pads need some more time. I've not used them too much yet

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #185 of 270
Yeah bass goes away on vacation with the memory foam versions, I really wish mp4nation would sell the original HM5 earpads again as their pleather is softer and they're not nearly as thick so bass is far beefier.

BTW the HM5 is just another Yoga CD880 OEM, too bad I can't locate any reseller for the original earpads
devil_face.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #186 of 270
Grado HF2 with Brainwavz Red Velour. Using an Earzonk S (edit: I said "L" previously) cushion as an "adapter". First impression, sounds more even throughout the range. Tamed the highs. Opened soundstage. I'm really really pleasantly surprised. I used to find them super fatiguing. Not anymore. More impressions later. Oh yeah, this is the most comfortable grados I've ever had in my life now.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #187 of 270
Grado HF2 with Brainwavz Red Velour. Using an Earzonk L cushion as an "adapter". First impression, sounds more even throughout the range. Tamed the highs. Opened soundstage. I'm really really pleasantly surprised. I used to find them super fatiguing. Not anymore. More impressions later. Oh yeah, this is the most comfortable grados I've ever had in my life now.

Did the same thing using s-cush. served the purpose until I made some cork adapters. Just got some angled pads for my hp150, and am going to try out the old pleathers on my Grados

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #190 of 270
BTW the HM5 is just another Yoga CD880 OEM, too bad I can't locate any reseller for the original earpads :devil_face:  

Here you go...

Earpads, 3m Lead, Earcup/Driver: (They also sell the M2000 open-back version.)
https://www.studiospares.com/Search.aspx?eaSearch=m1000##

Earpads, 3m Lead, 1.3m Lead:
http://www.mp4nation.net/headphones-earphones/brainwavz?p=3

Can't find anyone selling the headband or open-back cups.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #191 of 270
The final verdict on HM5 pleathers pads + Grado sr125.

I find them too harsh in the high frequencies. The velours do tame that end of the spectrum nicely. The track that really brought this out was Path 5 (delta) from Max Richter's From Sleep.

At least using the pleather gave me a chance to wash the velours (with liquid fabric softener. Not as scratchy and they smell purty)

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #192 of 270
Anyone compared stock or thick brainwavz hm5 pads to the nvx's pads ? Are the materials and memory foam the same ?
And is there a way to order them worldwide ?

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #193 of 270
do the angled ones kill bass even more than the flat ones?

PS: figures, duh http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-angled-memory-foam-earpad-black-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones
due to the extra space it creates it is very likely to affect the sound. I can easily sense a loss in bass. Thus I would recommend the normal version of brainwavz pads instead.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #194 of 270
  do the angled ones kill bass even more than the flat ones?

PS: figures, duh http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-angled-memory-foam-earpad-black-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones

Even i would like to know that. Currently they are on sale on MP4NATION. and I definitely dont want to miss the sale.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #195 of 270

Users who are viewing this thread

Back