Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,441 of 1,463
I have this combo. Works well. Note that DFR will draw some power from your phone... I do like to use foams with the B400 to improve bass a bit.
* A suggestion. Perhaps not small enough for you, but the Topping NX4 DSD is a powered DAC/AMP that will not drain down your phone or portable device. And it has a much better DAC Chip and an Amp with a lot more power. Saw it on sale for $135 on ebay (USA). It got great measurements at the AudioScience website... I like the fact it has it's own power, and like the tactile volume control.
Thanks for a reply! I know about Topping NX4, but it is a bit too large for my taste. Already had Chord Mojo, but didnt like short battery life.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,442 of 1,463
Thanks for a reply! I know about Topping NX4, but it is a bit too large for my taste. Already had Chord Mojo, but didnt like short battery life.

If you're comfortable with going wireless I'd strongly recommend the Radsone ES100, fantastic little device :)

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,443 of 1,463

If you're comfortable with going wireless I'd strongly recommend the Radsone ES100, fantastic little device :)

+1. Great little
widget. Can also usb dac w es100 though not sure about battery life w. a phone (perhaps an otg cable without power pins could work?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #1,444 of 1,463
B400_Origin.jpg

This entry level Effect Audio 'Origin' cable will transforms BB400 into unbelievable amazing sound...

Open up the Soundstage Layers into unbelievable depth... with clearer background sound, that was previously sounding unclear (tiny / diffuse) with original cable or even Frosty cable...

Eliminate the 'Lacks' of punch... adding the right amount of mid-bass & sub-bass... rumble is more present but stays in place... doesn't bleed into the mid...

The Imaging, it really sounded more Analog to me... bigger image, more life-like performance...

Thank you... Cheers...

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,445 of 1,463
Advert ? ^^. Yet to see a cable do any of those things LOL.

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #1,446 of 1,463
pretty late impression, i’ve owned a set of ‘first edition’ b400s when they were first released. i think they were $150usd in 2017. for reference i’ve followed the rise of midfi audio since vsonics were a thing. i’ve owned Audio Technica AD900, FOSTEX th610, etymotic ER4XR.

what drew me to these iems were my experience with the Brainwavz B2s.

i spent the last day auditioning noble khans, and the best audio 64 have to offer. i’ve ordered myself a set of A12Ts.

i’m not going to say b400s do everything those do, they don’t. but geez if they don’t simulate many of the things that make high end iems what they are (separation and genuine replication of trebles) and clarity.

if you like very forward mids and like your cymbals, these are for you (at this price range) they put vocals and electric guitars right to the front of the mix. they are warm and i have a high level of detail. one of my test songs is high and dry by radiohead and the imaging and early cymbals are great.

i’m not a big bass head, i feel these do a good enough job (muddy for sub bass, but i doubt many iems at this price range do this well anyway). bass is here in some quantity but do not expect some amazing level of detail.

they suffer congestion when the mix gets complicated.

to be honest i put them down after a first listen two years ago. but having spent a day listening to very high end iems. i think you would be very happy with these for a long time.

the only thing to note is the build quality is definitely a worry, these do not feel like iems i’d knock around, they feel like brittle 3d printed plastic. good for home listening but not for heavy movement use i think. keen to know what others think!

Edit: I’ve just spent the last 30 minutes putting Jennifer Warnes ‘bird on a wire’ remastered through all the headphones ive owned... and the fostex 610 and the b400s came out on top... the Etys and Ad900s just don’t have enough range to cover the bass and also the cowbells/ cymbals just sound better on these two head phones.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #1,447 of 1,463
This is my latest pair, purchased this summer after my first pair (also from 2017) broke.

20190728_193636.jpg

Although I'm disappointed about the quality of my first pair the build quality and finish on the new ones feels much better.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #1,449 of 1,463
  1. Seeing the you have the tsmr 3 Pro, how do the b400 compare?

This is what I wrote in my TSMR-3 Pro review ( https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tansio-mirai-tsmr-3-pro.23635/reviews#review-22481) :

"Brainwavz B400 ($199):
There’s a lot of similarities in the overall sound on these two with the midragne being the shining star on both with a very smooth and non intrusive presentation. There’s one very easily noted difference though, the 3 Pro has more overall weight in it’s presentation which results in a richer and fuller sound. The B400 is also more two dimensional sounding and lacks bass presence in comparison. The treble extension is also better on the 3 Pro and the better extension in both ends of the spectrum results in both deeper and wider stage.

Comfort and isolation is better on the 3 Pro and I also find it to feel more premium in the way they’re constructed. The B400 is harder to drive."

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,450 of 1,463
This is what I wrote in my TSMR-3 Pro review ( https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tansio-mirai-tsmr-3-pro.23635/reviews#review-22481) :

"Brainwavz B400 ($199):
There’s a lot of similarities in the overall sound on these two with the midragne being the shining star on both with a very smooth and non intrusive presentation. There’s one very easily noted difference though, the 3 Pro has more overall weight in it’s presentation which results in a richer and fuller sound. The B400 is also more two dimensional sounding and lacks bass presence in comparison. The treble extension is also better on the 3 Pro and the better extension in both ends of the spectrum results in both deeper and wider stage.

Comfort and isolation is better on the 3 Pro and I also find it to feel more premium in the way they’re constructed. The B400 is harder to drive."

Thanks! Greatly appreciated. Might skip these n go tsmr3 or 4 then!

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,451 of 1,463

"Brainwavz B400 ($199):

Hi Peter

Not sure if you have compared the tenhz p4 Pro to the b400? If you did could you point me to it. Else would you mind comparing the 2?

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,452 of 1,463
Guys, I bought the Brainwavz B400s in late 2018 and I've been keeping them at the side ever since. Their tips broke very soon after I bought them, and I've been waiting for someone that goes abroad to find a way to get them shipped to the Brainwavz guys ever since (but have had no luck). I live in Pakistan, and here they don't allow you to ship electronics internationally so I haven't been able to get them repaired for a long time now. My two-year warranty is ending in half a year.

Should I just glue the tips back on with strong glue (elfy)?

I was thinking of buying some expensive headphones like the Fearless S8 Pros but I figured I could just glue these back together and use them.

Here's a pic:

b400s.jpg

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,453 of 1,463
Guys, I bought the Brainwavz B400s in late 2018 and I've been keeping them at the side ever since. Their tips broke very soon after I bought them, and I've been waiting for someone that goes abroad to find a way to get them shipped to the Brainwavz guys ever since (but have had no luck). I live in Pakistan, and here they don't allow you to ship electronics internationally so I haven't been able to get them repaired for a long time now. My two-year warranty is ending in half a year.

Should I just glue the tips back on with strong glue (elfy)?

I was thinking of buying some expensive headphones like the Fearless S8 Pros but I figured I could just glue these back together and use them.

Here's a pic:

b400s.jpg

Did you try to contact Brainwavz? Maybe they can advise you on a safe adhesive to use (or possibly send you an empty shell?). If glue doesn't work perhaps something moldable like sugru (or diy oogoo) could be used to build it up enough for an eartip to seal?

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,454 of 1,463
Did you try to contact Brainwavz? Maybe they can advise you on a safe adhesive to use (or possibly send you an empty shell?). If glue doesn't work perhaps something moldable like sugru (or diy oogoo) could be used to build it up enough for an eartip to seal?

I did talk to them about this before, and they said gluing it back on would void the warranty. I didn't ask them which adhesive to use, but I guess elfy will be fine? Should I go ahead with it though, given my situation and all? Worth experimenting with $200 headphones? :thinking:

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,455 of 1,463
I did talk to them about this before, and they said gluing it back on would void the warranty. I didn't ask them which adhesive to use, but I guess elfy will be fine? Should I go ahead with it though, given my situation and all? Worth experimenting with $200 headphones? :thinking:

Depends on how much you love them I guess, when they told you glue would void the warranty (I’m still puzzled on that) I mean when you contacted them were they still under warranty? Did you also ask as mentioned what they would charge you to replace that shell if it was not really under warranty? Was there something like an event that made the nozzle break off? I’m like why even mention the warranty and not mention a solution:confused: something just seems to be amiss to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back