Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Apr 17, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 1,463
@DecentLevi - Hope all is well. Would like to explain part of your post, with a couple of clarifications: I did like the B400, but when compared with the first prototype B300 I heard (blue shells). The B400 compared to the second prototype B300 I heard (red shells) brings it to more of an apples to oranges comparison - meaning I don't have a true favorite, since both have their individual strengths, none truly outweighing the other in order to give only one the crown, in my eyes. Kind of like how I feel between the Lola and Layla when I listened to both back to back.

Also, with regards to my listening preferences, I don't have one particular preference. It's all about my current mood, as my tastes in music, and the gear that I use to listen to my music, vary greatly. I can appreciate the warm with exceptionally yummy bass quality of the TH-X00 Ebony headphone and appreciate a neutral with clarity Bluetooth IEM such as the BLU-200. What was on my mind today to listen to? Different types of IEMs; from the uber budget (MEE Audio IEMs), to expensive (to most people in the world) in-ears that can pick up background/ambient noise as you are listening to whatever you've got your system plugged into (Sensaphonics 3D AARO 3D-2).

Looking forward to listening to Brainwavz's finalized products whenever they are available!

Hello moedawg140,

Thanks for your impressions of our Brainwavz B300 and B400. In regards to the differences between the Blue shell and Red shell B300's, I believe it came down to two things the fact they are hand made and the Blue Shell one was using Eartips that were not intended for it. Therefore the seal was not what it should be.

P.S. I would like to challenge you to a Game of Ping Pong, just us, two paddles and one ball! 

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #17 of 1,463

Hello moedawg140,

Thanks for your impressions of our Brainwavz B300 and B400. In regards to the differences between the Blue shell and Red shell B300's, I believe it came down to two things the fact they are hand made and the Blue Shell one was using Eartips that were not intended for it. Therefore the seal was not what it should be.

P.S. I would like to challenge you to a Game of Ping Pong, just us, two paddles and one ball! 

Hi Marlon - I'd like to add more/detailed impressions in the future other than what I wrote my last post (saying the B300 and B400 has individual strengths).

As for the Blue and Red shells, I remember you telling me they were handmade and are prototypes, so no worries there as to possible inconsistencies (one reason why I usually refrain from posting detailed impressions of prototypes that I listen to).  

With regards to stating the seal for myself "was not what it should be"...I would have to respectfully disagree.  I used silicone tips and had sufficient seals for both (no way for you to tell if I had a sufficient seal if the IEMs were seated in my ears).  The seal for the B100, B150, B200, B300 and B400 were all sufficient and every one of the IEMs used silicone tips to listen to all of them. 
normal_smile .gif

P.S.  You'll need a ping pong table and a net as well! 
tongue_smile.gif
  Seriously though, hopefully I will be able to organize Bounce in London again for CanJam London this year.  Hope to see you there - check out the CanJam London 2017 threads as I'll be posting updates. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #18 of 1,463
Hello  moedawg140,

As always your feedback is highly appreciated. I can't wait to get the productions versions of the B300 and B400 for you and others to give us feedback. Keep a lookout on this post I will be updating you on the progress.

P.S. I look forward to some good old fashion Ping Pong (using all necessary equipment).

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 1,463
Hello  moedawg140,

As always your feedback is highly appreciated. I can't wait to get the productions versions of the B300 and B400 for you and others to give us feedback. Keep a lookout on this post I will be updating you on the progress.

P.S. I look forward to some good old fashion Ping Pong (using all necessary equipment).

Looking forward to both, as both sound signatures of the Red B300 and B400 (if unchanged for the most part), should cater to a wide variety of listeners' domain and non-domain specific preferences.

What's great though is while we are waiting, the B150 provides a great IEM to listen to right now, because of the well-tuned single balanced armature implementation, the B150 provides a clear and refreshing sound for the senses, especially for the price it commands.

I will keep a look out, but you know where to find me as well, my friend.

P.S. CanJam Global extraordinaire and all around awesome man, third_eye, is truly legit at sports (not just ping pong), so it would be a feat of all time to attempt to get through him first as his ping pong game is strong. :beerchug:

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #20 of 1,463
Looking forward to the production versions of the B300 & B400. The people at the Brainwavz booth were awesome, really engaged with the listeners, and seemed to genuinely want honest input on the models, unlike some booths, where they appeared only to want glowing praise (they shall remain unnamed).

First, preferences play a large part in auditioning iems. My preferences are derived from an earlier life as a jazz trombonist. I would say that my preferences are for a) detail, b) tonal accuracy, c) a forward presentation and d) bass extension (as opposed to bass emphasis). Some headphones / iems were painfully bright on the high end for my tastes. Not sure if that was due to their tuning or if it evidences a preference for a rolled-off high end (I wouldn't have thought that before CanJam, based on my speaker preferences).

Second, impressions are also a function of environment. Both the space in which I listen, and, perhaps more importantly, the state of mind I am in at the time of listening. My preferred time for iem listening is at night, prior to going to bed. This is for two reasons: first, the background noise in my environment is significantly reduced; second, I am not distracted by the day's demands. I thought that CanJam was as good a compromise at accessibility versus noise level as could be expected. When I visited Brainwavz, the ambient noise was not high, but still could be heard through the iems without music playing. I, needless to say, was in a great mood as I got to indulge in my hobby and listen to a whole lot of great stuff.

The music I listened to was a mixture of redbook and mp3. I played music through the Tidal app on my iPhone, except those songs I know are not available on Tidal. I had intended to get back to the booth on Sunday with my AKJr and Mojo, but just ran out of time. Specificallly, here's what I listened to:
  Marian Hill - Down - Tidal
  FKA Twigs - Two Weeks - Tidal
  Annie Lennox - I Put a Spell on You - Tidal
  Banks - Before I Ever Met You - Tidal
  Cassandra Wilson - Lay Lady Lay - Tidal
  Paul Simon - Oh, Marion - Tidal
  Phil Upchurch - Jack of Speed - Apple Lossless
  Raya Yarbrough - You're So Bad for Me - AAC 256 kbps

My listening impressions will be brief, as I did not take notes and I am aware that my aural memory is affected by the numerous other iems I listened to over the weekend and perhaps even the prior impressions in this thread.

I started with the B300's as I am intending to replace or add a pair of iems above my HBA2's. I enjoyed the tuning of the B300. Voices sounded natural. There was a sense of space around the vocals. The soundstage was well defined. They did not seem to extend fully down into the subterranean bass that some of the above songs demand, but they seemed to certainly provide ample signal down to probably 20Hz ( I didn't run test tones as I was listening for enjoyment mostly). But, they didn't blow me away. Now, as a price to performance analysis, I would certainly take a second look if they indeed come in at at $250 price point.

Please read all of this next part!!!

I moved on to the B400. They were horrible. Nothing there. Flat, lifeless. I put them down after about 30 seconds. The woman working the booth (and I'm sorry I forgot her name) looked at me askance and asked, "What do you think?"

Trying to be diplomatic, I replied, "They're not for me."

She probed further, "How so?"

So I told her, "They were lifeless, shallow, and I was very disappointed, especially after liking the B300."

She said something to the effect of, "That doesn't seem right. We haven't been getting that feedback at all. I know you were using the same tips as you used on the B300, but it sounds like a fit issue. Let's find some foam tips and try it again, if you want." She then either dug into her purse or asked someone (I forget which) for a pair of Comply tips while apologizing that some mishap had kept them from having foam tips available for all.

WOW. What a difference a tip makes (I know, we all know this).

It's interesting to me that stepping up to the B400 left me with the impression of it providing both "more" and "less." More, as in more detail, more tonal accuracy, more enjoyment, and yes, more bass extension. Less, as in less overlap. The notes sit suspended in space, connected yet apart from each other, which I attribute to the crossovers of the armatures.

FKA Twigs' Two Weeks starts with a complex bass / midbass soundscape that can get muddied on some iems. Not here. The chanting voices were distinct. You could hear the individual drumstrokes on the bass? drum roll. And, when the lead singer (FKA Twigs) joins the mix, her voice sits mesmerizingly above the soundscape, while not being apart from it.

On Marian Hill's Down, about a minute in they bring in a heavy bass beat, coupled with what sounds to me like a synthesized cymbal beat. The B400 handled the bass with aplomb, providing the full heft of the hit, while not overpowering the overall presentation. On the other end, the cymbal can sound harsh, artificial, and painful on overly bright (to me) iems. The B400 gave them a sizzle, while not causing my ears to bleed and brain to hurt. I use "sizzle" in a complementary way. The cymbal is a syncopated beat with an delightfully playful emphasis on the third (maybe 4th) strike of the cymbal. So, not only does an iem have to get the frequency response right, it has to convey the subtle difference in strike. The B400 did so.

On Phil Upchurch's Jack of Speed, there is just a lot going on: driving bass line; the guitar that sits on top of it and almost seems contrapuntal; the gourd shake that pans across the soundstage;  percussion rim strikes and more. The B400 presented each piece with clarity and precision. But more importantly, it presented it musically, engaging me in the performance.

For me, the B400 were spot on. I will be very interested in comparing them to other iems when they reach production status. Off the top of my head, my short list at this time would be Westone W60, Campfire Audio Jupiter, and Noble Savanna.

If any head-fiers have other suggestions, I am always open to listening
bigsmile_face.gif

Thank you, Brainwavz!

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #23 of 1,463
I tried the B400 at CanJam a couple weeks ago. I can't really comment on the sound since I listened to some flagships from Campfire Audio and 64ears right before, but they do sound nice. I really liked the fit of their b series; they were extremely comfortable in my ear. They weren't too big or bulky and fit perfectly with the silicone tips I tried them with.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #24 of 1,463
Heard the B200, B300, and B400 at CanJam recently, and I was very impressed with the B400. The build quality and fit were very nice, but I believe the models were still prototypes or demo pieces at the event. In any case, they looked and felt pretty good!

On to the sound. The B400s really impressed me overall. I am usually not a massive fan of IEMs to be honest, and even for portable audio prefer to take with me closed, full size headphones, but the B400s were one product that really made me want to rethink my biases. The are rather neutral and nuanced IEMs. The sound signature doesn't really take any particular sides (not bright, not mid centric, nor warm). Overall, it's a very good sound signature to expect for critical listening. Detail is top notch although depending on some people's taste, you could argue that they might be a tad rolled or softened.

I have heard a ton of IEMs from the top of the line Nobles to budget IEMs etc and one of the main issues with IEM sound vs. full sized headphones is that regardless of the sound signature, the extremely tight seal makes it feel like the sound is being channeled and blasted into your ears. Most IEMs, save the top of the line IEMs do not have the quality of being able to project sound around an open field for your ears to pick up and hear. Instead, it feels as if the sound is being pushed directly into your ear canal, albeit the sound is extremely detailed and clear with rumbling bass, but sounds overall artificial. This kind of timbre isn't something you can easily pick out in a measurement graph so I hope that what I am saying makes sense to readers. Overall, I am really impressed and happy to report that the B400 does not sound like that at all and truly feels like a top-notch aural experience. If there's one thing you should take away from this post is that the B400s sound extremely realistic and lifelike that most IEMs, even ones with more drivers inside do not properly get right. I was extremely impressed about this and can't really say the same for the B200 and B300 unfortunately although at their own respective price points I'm sure they offer great value too. Brainwavz did a really good job with the B400s.

Although I was only able to listen to the B400s for a few songs, it left a very good impression on me, especially given the fact that I came straight from the Stax + Woo Audio booth. That's how good the B400s were compared to the B200 and B300s and other IEMs at CanJam. I think that they are more than worth the price. The only criticism I have on them is that some people might think the highs are a tad bit rolled off on certain types of tracks even though it is fairly neutral across the entire spectrum.

Hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 1,463
I am happy to announce that Brainwavz Audio will continue to build on the success of the very popular B Series line of balanced armature earphones with our latest triple and quad driver based models, the B300 & B400. ...

Razzer001 and @ByDesign would you keep us posted on this thread on when the B300 (and 400) will be available? And any recent updates on production?

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 1,463

Razzer001 and @ByDesign would you keep us posted on this thread on when the B300 (and 400) will be available? And any recent updates on production?

Hello DecentLevi,

We will definitely be keeping you all updated in regards to the availability and progress of the Brainwavz B300 and B400.
And since we're on the topic let me give you a little update. Currently we are finalizing the die-cast mold design for the the all metal earpiece housing. In addition we are working on a range of high quality detachable cables for B300 and B400.
That's it for now I will be posting Pictures as soon as I have them.

Peace Out and Keep Listening:L3000:.

May 28, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #28 of 1,463
Courtesy of Brainwavz I have been the lucky recipient of a demo pair of the B300. After several listening sessions I can say without a doubt these are sensational IEMs! The sound I'm getting is full,vivid, clear / clean and true to life, bass is robust and dynamics are great, and treble seems to strike the right balance between detailed, pleasing and non-fatiguing! On the build quality, I must say these feel rock steady, especially being just a hand-made prototype. And the cable seems sturdy, flexible and just as stylish as the rest of the package, which looks quite stealthy when worn. This also being just a prototype cable, I'd almost be afraid to see how great the final version looks / sounds, not to mention any further improvements which would be hard to believe:dt880smile:. I may not have gotten much time with the B400 but for now I'm mighty impressed with the prowess of the B300 - which seems extremely competitive for it's price range.

May 29, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #29 of 1,463
I'm in the process of reviewing the B200, and am looking forward to the B300 and B400, seems demo impressions are good so far, those who have heard them would you say the B300 is more neutral than the B400?

May 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #30 of 1,463
I'm in the process of reviewing the B200, and am looking forward to the B300 and B400, seems demo impressions are good so far, those who have heard them would you say the B300 is more neutral than the B400?
Depends, since I heard two versions of the B300 that sounded different. One of them sounded more neutral than the B400 and one of them did not sound more neutral than the B400. If I get to listen to them again, I'm looking forward to hearing final versions and talking about them more in-depth...maybe in CanJam London - that would be swell.

Hope to see you, and Brainwavz there! :smile: :flag_gb: :headphones: :musical_score:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back