Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Apr 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,186 of 1,463
I think the B400 has just ended my love affair with the MEE Pinnacle P1... I'm realizing that the B400 is exactly what I've been EQing the P1 to be, but then the B400 also has better imaging and detail.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,187 of 1,463
I think the B400 has just ended my love affair with the MEE Pinnacle P1... I'm realizing that the B400 is exactly what I've been EQing the P1 to be, but then the B400 also has better imaging and detail.
Well, I’m doing the same travel, but still missing some treble energy and finesse from P1. Overall, I prefer the B400 over P1 as being more neutral to my ears.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,188 of 1,463
I was comparing the Massdrop Mee Pinnacle PX to the B400 because I was asked in pm by someone who had a specific question about the difference between them. To try to summarize down to a few lines…

The PX are boring but the B400 aren't. They have rather similar response curves with similar bumps and dips and cover about the same range of frequency. The PX are very good at reproducing the music they are given without addition or subtraction. They really don't do anything badly. Yet in comparison every aspect of the same music from the B400 just has a bit more. More clarity, more air, more imaging, more control, more layers, more separation. Just more in almost every detail. For any given thing the B400 is just a bit better than the PX. Yet overall I simply find myself enjoying the music more with the Brainwavz B400 than the Pinnacle PX.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,189 of 1,463
I was comparing the Massdrop Mee Pinnacle PX to the B400 because I was asked in pm by someone who had a specific question about the difference between them. To try to summarize down to a few lines…

The PX are boring but the B400 aren't. They have rather similar response curves with similar bumps and dips and cover about the same range of frequency. The PX are very good at reproducing the music they are given without addition or subtraction. They really don't do anything badly. Yet in comparison every aspect of the same music from the B400 just has a bit more. More clarity, more air, more imaging, more control, more layers, more separation. Just more in almost every detail. For any given thing the B400 is just a bit better than the PX. Yet overall I simply find myself enjoying the music more with the Brainwavz B400 than the Pinnacle PX.

Great summary! I feel like the P1 is missing some energy in the lower treble (5-7khz), despite having an edge on upper treble. Combined with bass that is slightly looser than I like, the P1 sounds veiled and darkish in comparison to the B400. That was the part I was always trying to increase with EQ. I mean, I still really like them, but they are no longer my favorite at the price.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,192 of 1,463
Now it's time to release a B600
It's funny, but I was just thinking about this as well. I'm constantly blown away with the price to performance ratio of the B400's and would LOVE to see what the Brainwavz team could do with a 6-8ba. An earphone like the B400 with a little more treble energy would be my end game.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,193 of 1,463
It's funny, but I was just thinking about this as well. I'm constantly blown away with the price to performance ratio of the B400's and would LOVE to see what the Brainwavz team could do with a 6-8ba. An earphone like the B400 with a little more treble energy would be my end game.

I'm with you one that. It's already my favorite. Just a bit of extra top end would make them a sweet piece of awesome.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,194 of 1,463
An earphone like the B400 with a little more treble energy would be my end game.

It exists and is called B200 (the older fixed cable version - don't have any idea whether the replaceable cable version differs slightly or not, even through Brainwavz says it shouldn't).
Anyway, that's why I personally also prefer the B200 over the B400.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #1,195 of 1,463
It exists and is called B200 (the older fixed cable version - don't have any idea whether the replaceable cable version differs slightly or not, even through Brainwavz says it shouldn't).
Anyway, that's why I personally also prefer the B200 over the B400.
I own and enjoy the cables version of the B200. I respect your opinion, but do not in any way find them to be a step up from the B400 in my own opinion. I find the B200 to be mid emphasized and the B400 more flat with much better technical ability overall. I agree the B200 sounds like it has maybe a tad more treble energy than the B400, but lacking in comparison to the B400 in bass quality and staging and imaging. I think Razzer could keep all of the positive qualities of the B400 as well as adding a bit more up top, if he had 2-4 more BA's to work with. I always recommend the B200 and B400 to everyone asking for a recommendation in their respective price brackets. They both are great!

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,196 of 1,463
Maybe it is the stock cable which I never had(only got Frosty upgrade) but never ever thought the B200 fixed cable had anything but a smidge less treble energy. In fact B200 was given pretty quick as I didn't think it could run with the B400 in any way.

I actually popped the filters out of the B200 and only then was happy with the treble amount vs. everything else I owned at the time. My Elecom had more treble, Resonate had much more treble, CH9T had more treble. :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,197 of 1,463
Maybe it is the stock cable which I never had(only got Frosty upgrade) but never ever thought the B200 fixed cable had anything but a smidge less treble energy. In fact B200 was given pretty quick as I didn't think it could run with the B400 in any way.

I actually popped the filters out of the B200 and only then was happy with the treble amount vs. everything else I owned at the time. My Elecom had more treble, Resonate had much more treble, CH9T had more treble. :)
This may sound somewhat strange, but I was less than impressed with the B200's using my normally used medium sized tips. I switched to the supplied small tips (actually the only earphone that I own that I use small tips) and found that gave me a little bit deeper fit and extended the treble energy for me as well.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #1,198 of 1,463
May have had the red tips with them. Gave them away with the B400 black tips though never did try them on the B200. Limited choice for tips that fit though I have adapters to use larger tips. I would always try to seal in the more bass as they don't reach that low taking any real amount off the seal. At the time the EHP-CH1010 and CH9T were just a step up in sound with more extension and bigger sound and details less smoothed over so I didn't use them very much. B400 is a step up from those esp. with a better cable that sharpens and tightens up the B400. Removing the filters fixed them nicely making the clarity jump up and giving more air to the sound and making the details show more. Maybe had a dodgy set of filters in my pair as they seemed to be darker and more thick sounding with less clarity than others reported. Been known to happen and have had other earphones with mesh/filter/foam issues.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,200 of 1,463
Less than a month old:frowning2: it was in the casing and in a handbag not heavily used IMG-20180419-WA0002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back