BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,516 of 1,701
How does the Autumn compare to the 2021 Hana and the Kato? I love the 2021 Hana but found the Kato to have awful treble glare.
1640376109996.png

If you’re sensitive at 5K you probably won’t like it, but if you’re sensitive at 3-4K you probably will.

I haven’t heard either the Kato or Hana so I can’t comment about upper treble where of course graphs aren’t very useful.

Edit: this graph is for the normal filter, you can use the bass filter to get perceived reduction in treble glare as well.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,517 of 1,701
1640376109996.png

If you’re sensitive at 5K you probably won’t like it, but if you’re sensitive at 3-4K you probably will.

I haven’t heard either the Kato or Hana so I can’t comment about upper treble where of course graphs aren’t very useful.

Edit: this graph is for the normal filter, you can use the bass filter to get perceived reduction in treble glare as well.

Thanks; your explanation and graph is helpful. I might need to stay away from the Autumn due to the 5 kHz peak.

My fingers are crossed for a Spring 3 with tamed peaks.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #1,518 of 1,701
Jan 2, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #1,519 of 1,701
I finally finished my small review of the BQEYZ Autumn. One of the biggest surprises of 2021 for me for sure, and one of the best single-DDs I have yet heard! BQEYZ Autumn

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,521 of 1,701
Compared to oxygen?

The Oxygen have better clarity, imaging, instrument separation, micro-details, and air.

The Autumn, however, have a bigger soundstage and thicker note weight, with the Oxygen sounding a bit thin in note definition.

The Oxygen do not have any tuning options, and can sound a bit bass light for bass forward music genres, so the Autumn have the edge in terms of versatility, as it can be tuned bassy to U shaped to neutral with the magnetic swappable filters.

The Oxygen may also have fit issues due to their shorter nozzle, and they also weigh in at a substantially higher price than the Autumn.

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #1,522 of 1,701
Hmmm... As the 2021 Hana is, from others' reports, a baby Oxygen and then the price of the 2021 Hana is in line with the Autumn.... If BQEYZ would kindly lend me an Autumn, I would gladly compare the 2021 Hana and the Autumn. :)

To bring up a broader point, I think it would be in manufacturers' interests to lend units outside of the exclusive "reviewers' club" here at Head-fi. I think we plebeians deserve a sponsored voice from time-to-time.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #1,523 of 1,701
Hmmm... As the 2021 Hana is, from others' reports, a baby Oxygen and then the price of the 2021 Hana is in line with the Autumn.... If BQEYZ would kindly lend me an Autumn, I would gladly compare the 2021 Hana and the Autumn. :)

To bring up a broader point, I think it would be in manufacturers' interests to lend units outside of the exclusive "reviewers' club" here at Head-fi. I think we plebeians deserve a sponsored voice from time-to-time.
You should DM Elle Zhou and ask her!

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #1,524 of 1,701

You need to become integrated more. Meaning your asking for an IEM to review but you only have one review? I can’t tell what the review is as your profile is blocked. So how is a company to make a decision about a reviewer when they have a single “unknown” review posted? I hope this comment doesn’t come off as criticism or in the wrong way? I’m simply trying to help.

I bet if you wanted to you could write 7 reviews of stuff you own!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #1,525 of 1,701
You need to become integrated more. Meaning your asking for an IEM to review but you only have one review? I can’t tell what the review is as your profile is blocked. So how is a company to make a decision about a reviewer when they have a single “unknown” review posted? I hope this comment doesn’t come off as criticism or in the wrong way? I’m simply trying to help.

I bet if you wanted to you could write 7 reviews of stuff you own!

I was sloppy with my wording. I was talking in general that manufacturers should lend units for lesser known members here, not necessarily myself alone, for auditions and impressions not necessarily full reviews. I don’t have the spare time to do a full review. There are many insightful members here. I think more voices could help those that have to buy “blind” make purchases with less regrets.

I picked the Autumn as it could be an IEM that might suit my tastes but that treble peak makes me wary. But, I cannot audition the Autumn so how would I know?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,526 of 1,701
Oh, I get you.
I was sloppy with my wording. I was talking in general that manufacturers should lend units for lesser known members here, not necessarily myself alone, for auditions and impressions not necessarily full reviews. I don’t have the spare time to do a full review. There are many insightful members here. I think more voices could help those that have to buy “blind” make purchases with less regrets.

I picked the Autumn as it could be an IEM that might suit my tastes but that treble peak makes me wary. But, I cannot audition the Autumn so how would I know?

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,529 of 1,701
The BQEYZ Autumn are a very underrated midFI single DD set.

The magnetic swappable concept for changing filters is very innovative and allows swapping of filters in just a matter of seconds. This gives less wear and tear than traditional screw on nozzle type filters. Sometimes it is such a hassle to change nozzles on other IEMs that have a tunable filter, that one just leaves on a default filter and calls it a day, which isn't the case with the Autumn.

BQEYZ_Autumn_Cover_Photo.jpg

BQEYZ_Autumn_Magnetic_Tool.jpg

BQEYZ Autumn.jpg

Graph of BEQYZ Autumn via IEC711 compliant coupler. 8 kHz is a coupler resonance artefact.

The tuning filters here work, and ain't gimmicks, cough cough looking at you BGVP DMG! While the filters appear to only affect the bass region, the ears perceive the entire frequency spectrum as a whole, so changes in the bass will cause a "see saw" effect on the treble region and vice versa.

The grey filters (AKA bassy filters) give a V-shaped sound signature. Bass is just a level shy of bona fide basshead levels.
The gold filters (AKA balanced) are the default filters, and provide a U-shaped balanced sound, as per its namesake and is my favorite configuration. The most-all rounder.
The silver filters (AKA treble filters) give a cold neutral tuning with added clarity and micro-details with a neutral bass.

Micro-details are above average, though there might be some multi BA/hybrid competitors with better resolution. Soundstage on the BQEYZ Autumn is excellent, with good height and width. This aids instrument separation with no congestion noted even on busy tracks. Imaging is decent but not class-leading.

The Autumn have good instrumental timbre, and are quite solid in build.

Some nitpicks are: the Autumn has an occasional glare at the 5 kHz region though, and scales better with amping. Isolation is also below average.

Compared to some midFI single DD luminaries, the Tanchjim Oxygen have better technicalities and resolution, but is more expensive and has a poorer fit (too short nozzles). Note weight is also thinner on the Oxygen. The Autumn are slightly better than the Moondrop KATO in terms of technicalities, and the 3 tuning options give more versatility than the 2 screw on nozzle configs on the KATO (which are very subtle changes in sound signature).

All in all, more folks should try the Autumn, they are very versatile. Trebleheads to bassheads should find something to like about them, and the innovative magnetic swapping tool to change filters is really quite ground breaking.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #1,530 of 1,701
The BQEYZ Autumn are a very underrated midFI single DD set.

The magnetic swappable concept for changing filters is very innovative and allows swapping of filters in just a matter of seconds. This gives less wear and tear than traditional screw on nozzle type filters. Sometimes it is such a hassle to change nozzles on other IEMs that have a tunable filter, that one just leaves on a default filter and calls it a day, which isn't the case with the Autumn.

BQEYZ_Autumn_Cover_Photo.jpg

BQEYZ_Autumn_Magnetic_Tool.jpg

BQEYZ Autumn.jpg
Graph of BEQYZ Autumn via IEC711 compliant coupler.

The tuning filters here work, and ain't gimmicks, cough cough looking at you BGVP DMG! While the filters appear to only affect the bass region, the ears perceive the entire frequency spectrum as a whole, so changes in the bass will cause a "see saw" effect on the treble region and vice versa.

The grey filters (AKA bassy filters) give a V-shaped sound signature. Bass is just a level shy of bona fide basshead levels.
The gold filters (AKA balanced) are the default filters, and provide a U-shaped balanced sound, as per its namesake and is my favorite configuration. The most-all rounder.
The silver filters (AKA treble filters) give a cold neutral tuning with added clarity and micro-details with a neutral bass.

Micro-details are above average, though there might be some multi BA/hybrid competitors with better resolution. Soundstage on the BQEYZ Autumn is excellent, with good height and width. This aids instrument separation with no congestion noted even on busy tracks. Imaging is decent but not class-leading.

The Autumn have good instrumental timbre, and are quite solid in build.

Some nitpicks are: the Autumn has an occasional glare at the 5 kHz region though, and scales better with amping. Isolation is also below average.

Compared to some midFI single DD luminaries, the Tanchjim Oxygen have better technicalities and resolution, but is more expensive and has a poorer fit (too short nozzles). Note weight is also thinner on the Oxygen. The Autumn are slightly better than the Moondrop KATO in terms of technicalities, and the 3 tuning options give more versatility than the 2 screw on nozzle configs on the KATO (which are very subtle changes in sound signature).

All in all, more folks should try the Autumn, they are very versatile. Trebleheads to bassheads should find something to like about them, and the innovative magnetic swapping tool to change filters is really quite ground breaking.
This is what I'm waiting for, @baskingshark's review :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back