Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Mar 24, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #2,866 of 2,912
You misunderstand me. When I said thin, I was referring to the lip of the pad...the part that makes contact with your face, and to their hollowed out nature. The PX pads don’t have a wide contact area to spread out the pressure from the clamping force. The PX7 pads are very different. They have a larger surface contact area and are much more like traditional headphone ear pads. Because of this, they do spread out the pressure of the clamping force. For most people, this makes them substantially more comfortable than the PX.

B9A4263E-7EBB-49E4-8F3D-ED4CD6780F23.jpeg

AF0E538B-D147-4057-94D3-A4F462FC8DA2.jpeg
Sold them some time ago. They were the early version is all I can say. They sounded fine. Didn't have a problem with comfort. The PX7's sound good but my other IEM's and Grado's sound better so I don't use the PX7's unless I want wireless. I'm currently trying to sell them based on my opinion on underwhelming sound.

May 16, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #2,867 of 2,912
Does anyone here have an LG phone with a Quad Dac that they can test with? When I plug in my PX's into my V50 with the HiFi DAC enabled I get a faint hissing sound when audio starts to play and it goes away after a few seconds when audio stops. It can be heard during quiet portions of a track. I feel as if it's specifically the DAC's "AUX" mode that causes it because my pair of IEM's that trigger the DAC "normal audio device" mode doesn't have that problem.

May 17, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #2,868 of 2,912
Does anyone here have an LG phone with a Quad Dac that they can test with? When I plug in my PX's into my V50 with the HiFi DAC enabled I get a faint hissing sound when audio starts to play and it goes away after a few seconds when audio stops. It can be heard during quiet portions of a track. I feel as if it's specifically the DAC's "AUX" mode that causes it because my pair of IEM's that trigger the DAC "normal audio device" mode doesn't have that problem.

Please don't use the PX via 3.5mm jack.
You'd be doing double DAC/ADC conversion, as they don't work passively.

May 17, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #2,869 of 2,912
Please don't use the PX via 3.5mm jack.
You'd be doing double DAC/ADC conversion, as they don't work passively.
I'm sorry but could you go in a bit more detail. What exactly do you mean by that?

May 17, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2,870 of 2,912
I'm sorry but could you go in a bit more detail. What exactly do you mean by that?
The PX don't support passive mode via 3.5mm audio jack.
Whatever you feed into them via 3.5mm, will be first converted to digital then again to analog.

And since you can't switch off the headphones DAC, the better way to use the headphones wires is via USB-C port with your phone.

So it doesn't make sense to even try to use the super DAC of your phone, because - even for how good (and better than the headphones' DAC) that DAC is, the less AD/DA conversions, the better.

May 17, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #2,871 of 2,912
The PX don't support passive mode via 3.5mm audio jack.
Whatever you feed into them via 3.5mm, will be first converted to digital then again to analog.

And since you can't switch off the headphones DAC, the better way to use the headphones wires is via USB-C port with your phone.

So it doesn't make sense to even try to use the super DAC of your phone, because - even for how good (and better than the headphones' DAC) that DAC is, the less AD/DA conversions, the better.
Well.....darn that's a bummer. I bought the phone specifically for it's DAC and it seems I can't really do it justice. Thank you for the information.

May 17, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #2,872 of 2,912
Well.....darn that's a bummer. I bought the phone specifically for it's DAC and it seems I can't really do it justice. Thank you for th

Why would you buy a V series phone for the DAC to mate with PXs? Or buy PXs to go with your V series? Anyways, welcome to the rabbit hole! No turning back now. Do some research here on great IEMs that do well with the phone. I personally have a great love for Periodic Audio Be and C iems. American made and outstanding!

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,873 of 2,912
I already had the PX's as a warranty replacement for my P7's, and I was always gonna get a V series phone since my HTC 10 was on it's last legs. I may have to go back to the drawing board, but for now, I have a pair of T20i's I can dust off again.

Jul 13, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,874 of 2,912
Hi all,
I plan to buy PX as my first wireless headphone except for 1 question.
How could I have a phone call with jack cable? Or will phone calling be available via USB cable?
Bluetooth is good but it might meet some cases if there were some urgent calls and I haven’t wake up the Bluetooth of my laptop immediately, it will be awkward....so I need an alternative.
Thank you in advance.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,875 of 2,912
Hi all,
I plan to buy PX as my first wireless headphone except for 1 question.
How could I have a phone call with jack cable? Or will phone calling be available via USB cable?
Bluetooth is good but it might meet some cases if there were some urgent calls and I haven’t wake up the Bluetooth of my laptop immediately, it will be awkward....so I need an alternative.
Thank you in advance.

you would just need a cable that has a mic on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cable-...ywords=bowers+mic+cable&qid=1594661722&sr=8-3

Something like that - I am not 100% sure it would work correctly but... that is the type of cable you would need in order for it to have a chance to work

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,876 of 2,912
you would just need a cable that has a mic on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cable-...ywords=bowers+mic+cable&qid=1594661722&sr=8-3

Something like that - I am not 100% sure it would work correctly but... that is the type of cable you would need in order for it to have a chance to work
Thank you for the recommendation. It is a possibly good way for trial.
Just read from official user’s manual, in which it states “PX headphones can also play audio via a USB connection from a computer, and can be used for wireless telephony”. Does it mean I could do phone calling just via USB cable w/o bluetooth?

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,877 of 2,912
Thank you for the recommendation. It is a possibly good way for trial.
Just read from official user’s manual, in which it states “PX headphones can also play audio via a USB connection from a computer, and can be used for wireless telephony”. Does it mean I could do phone calling just via USB cable w/o bluetooth?
Wireless is Bluetooth therefore as you have written things it means that a phone can be used with the PX with Bluetooth.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,878 of 2,912
Wireless is Bluetooth therefore as you have written things it means that a phone can be used with the PX with Bluetooth.

Thank you for explanation. I hope for secondary telephony too much that I didn’t read manual well.
“Note: Telephone functions only operate when the headphones are connected via Bluetooth”
Well, okay. Hope Windows won’t be go wrong or I need a pair of inline mic cable as backup.

BTW, Will the sound quality be better in PX with DDC via USB cable?

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,880 of 2,912

Users who are viewing this thread

Back