Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 19, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,386 of 2,912
@hifi80sman I just noticed you also have the P7. How do they compare sound wise to them? Looks like you have most the BT ANC headphones too. I thought I had too many wireless. haha

Aug 19, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #2,387 of 2,912
@hifi80sman I just noticed you also have the P7. How do they compare sound wise to them? Looks like you have most the BT ANC headphones too. I thought I had too many wireless. haha
LOL! I’m all-in on wireless. I enjoy the freedom, while the SQ is nearly indistinguishable between wired and over AAC (Apple Music). If I really want to squeeze the most SQ out, I’ll use the HD 600 with my LG G6 Quad DAC (FLAC). However, it’s really diminishing returns after a certain point and most of the time I have rugrats making too much noise for anything open-backed anyway.

The P7W is a very different animal. It’s a rich, thick sound with face-slapping bass. It’s not muffled like many in the Sony “Xtra Bass” line. It’s a pleasantly warm headphone with a stellar mid-range and good treble. If you’ve ever tried the Sennheiser HD1 Wireless, I’d say it’s a refined version of it (less “shouty”, better treble). The PX is almost like a more balanced, refined P7W with a better soundstage, however, I’d say the P7W is more “fun” due to the bass it kicks out. Lounging around, I prefer the PX. Movies and “exciting” music, I’ll grab the P7W. It’s a great headphone and was down to $339 on Amazon earlier today (I basically browse headphones daily, to the wife’s disgust). If you’re thinking about grabbing one, rest assured, they each have their own unique sound signatures.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,388 of 2,912
Yah, I am with you in the Wireless camp. I wish they would come out with a proper Planar HQ Bluetooth set. Either Audeze, Mr. Speakers, HIfiman... Someone. I think a mobile set of BT Planars would awesome. But that's me. I hate wires... I really wish they would come up with something that is lossless over wireless.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #2,390 of 2,912
SBC at 320kbps can sound quite good, transparent to me at least on a few tracks.

Back to the PX. I find myself switching between these and the Sennheiser PXC 550s quite a lot. The Sennheiser are a good deal lighter and the capacitive ear cup works well. Sound quality is about the same to me.

These are the only full size phones I own having returned the H9i due to a faulty earcup.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,391 of 2,912
Yah, I am with you in the Wireless camp. I wish they would come out with a proper Planar HQ Bluetooth set. Either Audeze, Mr. Speakers, HIfiman... Someone. I think a mobile set of BT Planars would awesome. But that's me. I hate wires... I really wish they would come up with something that is lossless over wireless.
Planar Magnetic would be awesome. I'm not sure if the issue is power consumption or production cost (margins, etc.), but I would most certainly jump on it.

There actually is already a lossless wireless technology out there, which I believe many of the Sennheiser RS series use (Kleer). It just never took off with mobile use and has to fight against Bluetooth, which integrates more devices than just audio. Moreover, I'm not sure what type of licensing and hardware alteration would be required for wide-scale implementation. Looks like Bluetooth and it's subsequent improvements/codecs are what we're going to be looking at in the future. That being said, I'm actually quite content with Apple Music over AAC, given my ability to be in a perfectly quiet environment is limited.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #2,392 of 2,912
My Sony 1000XM2 has been collecting dust since I've gotten the PX. And I don't see it changing.

Sony's opened and used for a two days before selling the on. Compared head to head with the PXs, I would say the ANC is about 15 - 18% better on the sonys but the B&Ws sound quality is night and day better imo. Interestingly the PXs ANC blocked out some sounds the Sony's didn't (birds singing while out in the woods nearby). Also the PXs passive cancelling is very very good.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,393 of 2,912
I find the volume buttons on the PX a little difficult to always hit accurately but otherwise am very happy with them. Each phone has its pluses and minuses but the PX is the best I've tried overall.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2,394 of 2,912
SBC at 320kbps can sound quite good, transparent to me at least on a few tracks.

Back to the PX. I find myself switching between these and the Sennheiser PXC 550s quite a lot. The Sennheiser are a good deal lighter and the capacitive ear cup works well. Sound quality is about the same to me.

These are the only full size phones I own having returned the H9i due to a faulty earcup.
What was the issue with the ear cup on the H9i? I just returned mine because there was a high-pitched screeching noise every time I removed the left ear cup when ANC was activated. Also, in the same ear cup, there was a "thumping" noise when I walked with ANC activated. The look nice and feel nice, but the electronics need some fine tuning and better QC. The H9 didn't have either of these issues (but it had others).

I also had the PXC 550 for a week after grabbing them on sale for $249. I thought they sounded pretty good, especially with the Director EQ adjustments (particularly bass), but I found the build quality lacking for the price. The adjustment sliders were awful and no longer clicked once stretched out. The folding hinges also left something to be desired, while the matte coating over the plastic ear cups began to bubble. The sound was good, the ANC decent, but the build just made me feel like I was getting ripped off. They also look a bit weird, kind of like they belong in a 70s space-themed TV show.

The PX are built very nicely, they sound fantastic with all genres, and look amazing. It's like wearing a Rolls Royce on your head.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,395 of 2,912
The H9i right earcup wouldn't work 9 times out of 10 so they had to go back. Just a faulty set but something that shouldn't happen on such an expensive device.

I've had none of the problems you've mentioned with the Sennheisers although I haven't had to adjust the headband. I like their lightness and the sound quality is good. Just a backup pair to the PX for me but i use them now and again.

I agree: the PX build and design is fantastic

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,396 of 2,912
Just wanted to inform community that we now can provide custom-made earpads for B&W PX.
At current stage attached with double sided adhessive (included)
Here are photos kindly made by the first customer. Genuine sheepskin with memory foam and thicker padding.
^7E87C9AD216AED5645DEF4D41F184BF02E2B6CD3B4F8B36F53^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^F0A1914D2048400203BD12FB33EDE3837325F64167814580B7^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^6043FC89CEB089B0F370A584762EE1DD545198F017D8B8E13F^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #2,397 of 2,912
Just wanted to inform community that we now can provide custom-made earpads for B&W PX.
At current stage attached with double sided adhessive (included)
Here are photos kindly made by the first customer. Genuine sheepskin with memory foam and thicker padding.
Looks promising. Once it gets to the magnetic attachment stage, I would definitely buy.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,398 of 2,912
Aug 20, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2,400 of 2,912
I wonder how a angle pad would work too. Is the owner of these pads in the thread? Curious how it affects the. sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back