Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,906 of 2,912
I would love to try the H8i, but as much as I loved the H7, I had it on full volume all the time, and even with modern electronica it was barely loud enough. With any older, or quiet mastered albums, the H7 was just not loud enough so I sold it. I have heard that the H8 and H8i have the same problem with lack of volume. How do you find the H8i? That is one of the things I loved about the P7W, it could get quite loud. I wish the PX was more comfortable as I would have kept it for sure.
I have no problem with the volume on the H8i. Used to own the old H8 and really liked the way they sounded. The reason I got rid of them was that they were quite heavy and slipped of my head to often. I sold them and bought the H9. Didn't realize how low the volume was in the H9. Much lower that the original H8. That was when I sold the H9 switched to the PX.
The H8i is plenty loud enough. On my Samsung and from the iMac I don't need to go near max volume no matter what the age of the recording. On the iPad i do need to turn them up a bit louder, but still no problem And never at full volume. The also do wired listening trough USB-C, same as the PX. So I have no regrets putting the PX up for sale and keeping the H8i. And one last thing about the H8i (And also the original H8), they sound good already in low volume I think. Don't need to turn them up as loud (A bonus for my ears and long term hearing possibilities) :-D

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,907 of 2,912
Today I tried the PX. I have aptx HD codecs ON my smartphone so I tried to stream a FLAC album with VLC on Android.
The headphones were mute, while they weren't when using Spotify or the default player.
How can I stream FLAC audio via Bluetooth on the PX?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,908 of 2,912
i ordered the PX on Sunday and paired it with my SP1000SS, IMO : great sound. but, I wear glasses, so it was not confortable with these, and also there was a lost of bass.
Do I return the Headphones (PX) to the supplier. But I'm still wondering if I did right or not, should I kept the PX or not ?
Which headphones (with NC) is the best offering the best sound quality with acceptable NC level ?

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,909 of 2,912
Love my PX’s with one minor annoyance. The wear sensor doesn’t seem to like my Spotify app (Android). It works flawlessly on all other apps, but in Spotify it will pause for about 1 second when I lift the ear up and then the music will resume. Anyone else have this issue, and/or a recommended fix?

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,910 of 2,912
sorry about the length of this post but if anyone is interested, I enclose a copy of the response that I have given to B&W when they queried why I have sent their PX back: as follows....
B&W wrote:
Thank you for your email, and sorry to hear about your disappointment in the sound quality and comfort.

Before completing a return of your new PX headphones, there may be a way that we can help improve the sound quality so that the headphones meet or exceed your expectations. There are a few suggestions I'd like to pass to you if possible, and it would also be good to get an understanding of how you are using them.

Firstly, please ensure that the headphones fit properly. They are designed to make a snug seal around your ears without putting pressure on your head. To find the right fit, simply put your headphones on and slide the headband adjusters until both earcups completely surround your ears, with the cushions resting comfortably around, not on, your ears.

If you are not quite getting the right fit, this could be compromising the quality of the audio being heard and comfort. Wearing glasses or having hair trapped between your ears and the headphones would distort the profile of your ears, which could in turn cause some audio leakage and loss in audio quality.

May I ask, are you using the headphones with the noise cancellation feature turned on or off? Are you disappointed with the sound in all scenarios? It would be worth experimenting with the noise cancellation options within the Bowers & Wilkins Headphones app, to see if you can find a setting that works for you.

In addition to the above, it is worth noting that headphones, much like any other traditional speaker product containing drive units, can improve in sound quality over time once the drive units have had time to loosen. Typically we would advise giving them a couple of days to 'run-in', before you really start to get the best out of them.

With regards to the software, it may be worth checking that your are running the PX's latest firmware (v1.066) and PX app, as there have been recent updates to help with the app performance.

I hope the above helps you get the most out of your purchase. Of course we would love for you to be satisfied with the PX headphones, but if you did want to go ahead with a return then please clarify this for us and we will process it for you as soon as possible.
My Response:

I find that even a small movement of my head causes the sound to alter and I am constantly
readjusting the ear pads. This makes for uncomfortable listening.
I have run in the headphones for a considerable time and I have waited on this to base my
assessment of the sound. I wear glasses and find it difficult to maintain comfort as previously
noted. I need glasses and could not manage without them. I am a long term headphone user
And understand the ins and outs of use and positioning.
I have also noted that walking and to maintain the headphone position is near to impossible.
the headphones are being used in a domestic situation and I do not use the noise cancellation,
switching it on noticeably degrades the audio. I am finding the sound is not to my liking
with all of my music in comparison to my normal wired Shure SRH1540 headphones, I
really prefer the sound of these. I did shelve them for a long time to enable me to get used
to the sound of yours but on returning to mine I felt the difference in sound was returned
to what I prefer. I have tried them wired as well as aptx hd Bluetooth from an Astell and Kern AK70
using flac files. I feel I have given them a fair trial in his respect.
They were updated on arrival and have been re set numerous times. In less mode lifting the
ear cup pauses the music but when I put them down the music restarts and I have to lift
them up and press pause. On more mode it is very difficult to make them pause and in the
middle setting it seems to be a random mixture of both problems.
When connected to iMac via Bluetooth when I pause the music they stop playing the iMac
music and start playing the music from my paired iPad Pro?
When playing music on the iPad Pro, sometimes after pausing when I restart they start
playing a completely random song on the iPad that I have not even played before...strange?
Again reset several times without improvement.
So, sorry, all in all they do not work for me as I would like. Nice solid build quality though..!!

Not a review just my observations.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,911 of 2,912
sorry about the length of this post but if anyone is interested, I enclose a copy of the response that I have given to B&W when they queried why I have sent their PX back: as follows....
B&W wrote:
Thank you for your email, and sorry to hear about your disappointment in the sound quality and comfort

Seems fair enough. TBH I love mine but they are quirky with the sensors and APP. The APP seems to function quicker on Apple devices and the sound controls work better but the sound is way better on my Android LG G6 quad dac especially wired.
I think you are correct about the seal on the pads, it is critical. I dont wear glasses but a yawn or biting my back teeth together is enough the break the seal and seriously degrade SQ. I don't think I'd be keeping mine if I wore glasses. They do need a revised earpad. I can't believe that anyone who wears glasses will get the best from them.
Still I think they are a keeper for me unless the quirks drive me insane.

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,912 of 2,912
For convenience they are excellent assuming they sort out the quirks with updates but the fit and getting fed up with continual errors made me lose faith. I still don't think they can
touch wired versions at roughly the same price because of all the extra tech involved has got to cost and some thing has to be slightly sacrificed?

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,913 of 2,912
For convenience they are excellent assuming they sort out the quirks with updates but the fit and getting fed up with continual errors made me lose faith. I still don't think they can
touch wired versions at roughly the same price because of all the extra tech involved has got to cost and some thing has to be slightly sacrificed?
Yah, but wires are a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE negative for portable use. Whatever tiny sound quality compromises may happen with wireless, for me cutting the wire is well worth it. Sick of dealing with wires while out and about, personally.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #1,914 of 2,912
I've come from the UE6000 and these are a massive upgrade for me in terms of build and sound quality.
I've listened to Bose QC25 and again the PX are a big upgrade over them reguarding build and sound quality.
I've never even heard any real high end stuff tbh. Probably best I don't from a bank account point of view. In this case ignorance is bliss. The PX make me happy ☺ despite their quirks.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,915 of 2,912
Everything is relative, you are happy with them and rightly so. HiFi becomes somewhat of a curse if you let it...always searching for that extra bit of refinement in the sound delivered by your equipment and sometimes at the expense of just sitting back and enjoying the music. Don't bother what anyone else's opinion is, use your own ears to judge what you like yourself and sit back and enjoy.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,916 of 2,912
Everything is relative, you are happy with them and rightly so. HiFi becomes somewhat of a curse if you let it...always searching for that extra bit of refinement in the sound delivered by your equipment and sometimes at the expense of just sitting back and enjoying the music. Don't bother what anyone else's opinion is, use your own ears to judge what you like yourself and sit back and enjoy.

So much this. I ran across this manifesto titled "Music First Audiophile" which I deeply relate to: https://darko.audio/2017/06/what-is-a-music-first-audiophile/

Music first, gear second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back