Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 27, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #736 of 2,912
When you say comfortably... do you mean physically? Because I haven't found that to be the case with the PX. Although I have found curling the headband in on itself (training the metal to be a narrower U) has helped with the hotspot. A bit counter intuitive for improving comfort since some people complain about the clamping force, but working for me. I can handle the clamp (the earpads are plenty cushy), but the lack of padding on the headband (of a lux product) baffles me.
I think the padding is very sufficient on top. I have no problems with the headband. Not sure why you think it's not much of a padding.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #737 of 2,912
Ah, I misread @GrussGott as referring to the 1000x with the price being lower because of the issues Sony had so quickly that it explained why Sony released a MK2 so quickly and why stores are clearing out the older 1000X inventory.

Yeah, I haven’t seen P7W discounted anywhere like that, unfortunately, and I’ve been checking a lot because I’ve been hoping with the release of the PX that I could pick up the P7W at a nicely discounted price.

hopefully, we would have that same P7W discount during Black Friday up til the Christmas season last year. they were selling for $250-$350 last year. too bad I was still unemployed during that time. so I couldn't really afford them but would have been nice to get them early.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #738 of 2,912
How do you guys compare these to the QC35/MDR-1000x?

Most reviews state that the PX has much better sound quality but the 1000x is tempting at <$249.

As mentioned several places in this thread fhe sound quality of the PX without ANC is superior and for some it’s still superior when the lowest setting of ANC but ones you go to max ANC on the PX sounds quality just go plummets down and Sony and Bose surpass. It in sound quality.

So it’s up to each individual how much ANC they need vs sound quality

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #739 of 2,912
As mentioned several places in this thread fhe sound quality of the PX without ANC is superior and for some it’s still superior when the lowest setting of ANC but ones you go to max ANC on the PX sounds quality just go plummets down and Sony and Bose surpass. It in sound quality.

So it’s up to each individual how much ANC they need vs sound quality

I don't have access to PX, nor LDAC yet (will have it with Android Oreo update on my S7 edge). From what I've read, maybe Sony will come near or surpass PX trough LDAC. I currently have 1000xm2 and compentlating about exchanging it for PX or keeping them for future sound improvement.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #740 of 2,912
I don't have access to PX, nor LDAC yet (will have it with Android Oreo update on my S7 edge). From what I've read, maybe Sony will come near or surpass PX trough LDAC. I currently have 1000xm2 and compentlating about exchanging it for PX or keeping them for future sound improvement.
LDAC and Aptx HD are so much better than standard Aptx. Don't let your 1000x M2 go!

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #741 of 2,912
One of the big advantages of LDAC, next to higher bandwidth seems to be the fact that it does not require additional hardware in a smartphone. A 4.x or higher Bluetooth stack is sufficient as long as it supports EDR. Qualcomm however requires an Aptx compatible chipset. While Aptx might be the most widely spread capability, Sony have made a clever move by allowing it to be integrated into Oreo 8.0. On the other hand, Aptx HD had the reputation of being an incredibly well designed algorithm...

So wherever this goes, at least one thing is clear.. The future looks bright for mobile audiophiles :)

(But don't throw out your cables yet. Currently enjoying fantastic audio quality on my LG G6 Quad-Dac + Moon Audio Black Dragon + B&W PX)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #747 of 2,912
Have you tested the difference between standard aptX and aptX HD? Or are you referring to the specs?

Yes tested with my LG V20. Massive difference when using High Res music. Obviously not so much if you use MP3s. I have a pair of Sony overhead headphone with only Aptx as well another pair with Aptx HD and LDAC.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #748 of 2,912
Yes tested with my LG V20. Massive difference when using High Res music. Obviously not so much if you use MP3s. I have a pair of Sony overhead headphone with only Aptx as well another pair with Aptx HD and LDAC.

i'm still in the doubter camp on "massive difference", at least due to high-res and the wireless standards.

As an example, I just compared Beck's Turn Away on a master stream from Tidal HiFi:
(1.) Over AptX via my B&W P7W
(2.) Wired via USB to my Chord Mojo, which registered it as 24bit/96k
(3.) Wired via S/PDIF TOSLink optical to my mojo, again showed it 24/96

yes there was a difference, more layers, more micro detail, etc. I prefer the wired, but my wife couldn't tell the difference between wired and AptX!

So that's High-Res wireless vs wired, so I ran the normal 16/44 CD-quality stream, i.e., non High-res. Zero difference. And I've done this same test at least 20 or 30 times with all different types of music. On a Mojo on the B&W P7W no difference. On the MrSpeakers Aeon Flows wired via the mojo I can maybe just barely start to hear some details at high res vs 16/44. maybe. probably not.

So, while I think high-res is great via at least a Mimby/Magni, or better a Gumby/Jot, in a mobile setting over a AptX-HD which has 4:1 compression and it bit-splitting, I have a hard time believing anybody could hear any difference unless their phone or source material is injecting something. Which is highly possible.

That said, I prefer my rumbly P7Ws over Aeon Flows so go figure.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #749 of 2,912
i'm still in the doubter camp on "massive difference", at least due to high-res and the wireless standards.

As an example, I just compared Beck's Turn Away on a master stream from Tidal HiFi:
(1.) Over AptX via my B&W P7W
(2.) Wired via USB to my Chord Mojo, which registered it as 24bit/96k
(3.) Wired via S/PDIF TOSLink optical to my mojo, again showed it 24/96

yes there was a difference, more layers, more micro detail, etc. I prefer the wired, but my wife couldn't tell the difference between wired and AptX!

So that's High-Res wireless vs wired, so I ran the normal 16/44 CD-quality stream, i.e., non High-res. Zero difference. And I've done this same test at least 20 or 30 times with all different types of music. On a Mojo on the B&W P7W no difference. On the MrSpeakers Aeon Flows wired via the mojo I can maybe just barely start to hear some details at high res vs 16/44. maybe. probably not.

So, while I think high-res is great via at least a Mimby/Magni, or better a Gumby/Jot, in a mobile setting over a AptX-HD which has 4:1 compression and it bit-splitting, I have a hard time believing anybody could hear any difference unless their phone or source material is injecting something. Which is highly possible.

That said, I prefer my rumbly P7Ws over Aeon Flows so go figure.

Well I'm very happy with my LG V20 and Sony WH 1000x M2 and LGs own aptx HD headphones. If you don't want to try Aptx HD or LDAC your choice.

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #750 of 2,912
Well I'm very happy with my LG V20 and Sony WH 1000x M2 and LGs own aptx HD headphones. If you don't want to try Aptx HD or LDAC your choice.

Oh, I've tried them all, I'm just saying that anyone who can actually tell the difference between AptX and AptX-HD all other things equal likely has extraordinary equipment and sources first and hearing second, and this fact is routinely proven in blind A/B tests. I'm only posting this for people like me who wonder if, blind, they could really tell the difference between high res and CD quality or "If AptX-HD is worth it over AptX." I've done a few of these large A/B tests with people and zero people can tell any difference blind.

But, again, in real life there are a zillion factors in the equipment chain that impact things, not to mention placebo effect which is a real thing - so if you're happy that's all that counts and that makes it all worth it.

There's no right answer or set up, except for the one that makes us the most happy, and all things equal I'd take the PX with AptX HD over just AptX.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back