Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #721 of 2,912
[
The PX DAC does step 2 in the process, UAPP does step 1. In similar fashion as the Dragonfly Red USB DAC, the PX DAC serves as a renderer in the MQA decoding process.

While I agree that $10k+ equipment generally allows you to benefit more from Hi-Res source material, depending on how good ones hearing is, one does not need to invest much to get audible improvements. The difference between the analog outputs on my Note8 and LG G6 Quad-Dac phones clearly demonstrate that ...

At the end of the day, great audio is purely experiential, and if you're getting a better experience that's what counts!

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #722 of 2,912
Any advice/tips for dealing with hotspot? Shame these have such a painful, tiny headband when the P7 and P9 are nice and wide with plenty of coverage. Was browsing headband sleeves on Amazon, may give one of those a go...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #723 of 2,912
How do you guys compare these to the QC35/MDR-1000x?

Most reviews state that the PX has much better sound quality but the 1000x is tempting at <$249.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #724 of 2,912
I listened to the PX today at Selfridges in London, and wow I'm surprised how much better they sounded with the ANC off vs on in airplane mode. I really thought the difference wouldn't be that big. The sales rep told me that they were using the same drivers as the P9 which I know not to be entirely correct.

I decided to order them from my local store in Norway with estimated delivery in the beginning of November and looking forward to trying them for a few weeks before I decide if they'll replace my QC35's for use on the daily commute and in the office.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #725 of 2,912
Auditioned. The overall sound is distant, like in a large concert hall. Drums sound fine but the singers voice is far away down on the stage. Wouldn't spend on these, have the B&W signature sound changed with the new owners?

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #727 of 2,912
How do you guys compare these to the QC35/MDR-1000x?

Most reviews state that the PX has much better sound quality but the 1000x is tempting at <$249.

I was heavily considering the 1000x last year and auditioned it at $400 - ultimately I decided to go with the P7w which doesn't have ANC so when I saw it at $249 (refurbs at $200 on amazon), I was fairly surprised so looked into why and, net-net, it turns out there's a reason that Sony released a v2 within a year. I'd pass on the 1000x.

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #728 of 2,912
Could someone please comment on Sony WH-1000Xm2 (or MDR-1000x) on LDAC vs B&W PX. I've seen comments from some Android users who use Oreo beta with implemented LDAC that say that sound quality significantly improves on LDAC compared to Aptx. It seems that Sony is kinda future proof in it's own way... Oreo is coming soon. Something to consider...

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #730 of 2,912
I've returned my WH-1000XM2 because of the awful build quality and 1 year only warranty. 2 days in and I can hear the creaking of the plastic hinges in the left ear cup. So very annoying.
I have now purchased the B&W PX and so far I am definitely happy with the sound quality and build quality.
The ear cups are stiff but smooth and are not too bad. I've heard they get better with time so it's no complaint of mine.
As for the "environment filter", sound quality does diminish on the highest "airplane" level but works fine on the 1st "office" level and does it's job comfortably.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #731 of 2,912
I was heavily considering the 1000x last year and auditioned it at $400 - ultimately I decided to go with the P7w which doesn't have ANC so when I saw it at $249 (refurbs at $200 on amazon), I was fairly surprised so looked into why and, net-net, it turns out there's a reason that Sony released a v2 within a year. I'd pass on the 1000x.

Where are you seeing these kind of prices - $249 new and $200 refurb? I just looked on Amazon US and saw nothing similar

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #733 of 2,912
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #734 of 2,912
But we are taking about the B&W P7 here not the Siny's

Ah, I misread @GrussGott as referring to the 1000x with the price being lower because of the issues Sony had so quickly that it explained why Sony released a MK2 so quickly and why stores are clearing out the older 1000X inventory.

Yeah, I haven’t seen P7W discounted anywhere like that, unfortunately, and I’ve been checking a lot because I’ve been hoping with the release of the PX that I could pick up the P7W at a nicely discounted price.

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #735 of 2,912
I've returned my WH-1000XM2... 2 days in and I can hear the creaking of the plastic hinges in the left ear cup. So very annoying.

As for the "environment filter", sound quality does diminish on the highest "airplane" level but works fine on the 1st "office" level and does it's job comfortably.

The metal headband is a definite improvement on the XM2, hadn't noticed any issues with the plastic ear cups but haven't had them in heavy user either (hard to give them much love with PX around :wink:

When you say comfortably... do you mean physically? Because I haven't found that to be the case with the PX. Although I have found curling the headband in on itself (training the metal to be a narrower U) has helped with the hotspot. A bit counter intuitive for improving comfort since some people complain about the clamping force, but working for me. I can handle the clamp (the earpads are plenty cushy), but the lack of padding on the headband (of a lux product) baffles me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back