Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #586 of 2,912
Man, I've been wearing them for about half an hour testing with APTX HD with my new AK70 MKII that came today, and man are they uncomfortable. Pressure on my ears and top of my head, I'm going to try again some more tomorrow. They do sound good with the AK70MK II, but I also have Shure KSE1500's for home listening, and Sennheiser PXC 550's for travel. Will be doing some more testing against the PXC 550 tomorrow.
Love to hear how the new AK70mk2 is matching with the PX, looking at purchasing it since it’s one of the few DAPs with aptX HD and tidal streaming.

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #589 of 2,912
I collected my pair yesterday from my hi-fi dealer and have been gradually breaking them in, probably about 3 hours of use at the moment.

My initial observations are as follows:
  • Straight out of the box, I am absolutely loving these headphones.
  • I opted for the Soft Gold version and they look absolutely stunning.
  • The craftsmanship is sublime, they are quite heavy compared to some of my other headphones but that's because of the metal construction.
  • I am finding them to be very neutral compared to P3's and P5's, bass isn't bloated and treble doesn't appear to be rolled off.
  • Sound is very clean and pristine, very similar to the P9 but not as bombastic or "in your face". I guess B&W are working towards changing their house sound based on the P9's and PX's.
  • The audio quality is very dependent on the source and resolution of the audio files, which should be the same for any top quality headphone. For example, listening to FLAC 16bit and FLAC 24bit audio files on my Onkyo DP-X1 sounds way more better than listening to Spotify or Play Music on my Galaxy S8. Having said that, audio is still listenable and doesn't appear to bother or distract me as much as it did on my Sony M1000-X.
  • Pairing the headphones with my DAP and phone was troublesome to begin with but got there eventually.
  • Slight discomfort with the headband but it is getting better, I guess the headphones need to get used to my noggin :laughing:
  • I have only tried using ANC and wireless, mainly in Office mode indoors. I couldn't hear the wife talking to me so they are definitely working a treat :grin:
I am looking forward to my next session, I need to take them for a spin outdoors and see how they cope with noisy environments. But so far so so good, I am really glad I took the plunge with these.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #591 of 2,912
After 20 hours of pink noise going into the PXs, and them doing some stretch exercises every evening now, things seem to be slightly changing. Still not comfortable, but now I can survive one and a half hours commuting time in the morning and in the evening, with an additional 1-2 hours listening time in the office. I hope it is going to be improving more. Sound signature became a bit smoother at the mids, and a bit stronger at the bass, but still detailed and good to listen to. It's now really only about the comfort for me, nothing else. I am not as patient as I should be I guess, but I really want to like them in every aspects.

Tomorrow with 2 of my colleagues we are going to have a big headphone swap day. One of them has the QC35 mark 2s, the other has the B&O H6s. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of it.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #592 of 2,912
How is the microphone? Have anyone tested it? How does it sound during calls?
I have tested them quite a lot, as I have replaced my MDR-1000Xs because of the very awful voice call quality it had. Long story short: the PXs do have really great mic indeed, people who I am talking to could not make a difference if I am talking to them on my iPhone, or on this pair of headphones. This is true to even very noisy environments, like walking on busy streets in London, or being at an airport. I have tested calls on WH-1000XM2s, Momentum 2.0s, B&O H9s, DSR9BTs, and PXs. My wife said (as she was the one I called) PXs were the best. Happy to do some recordings for you, just let me know.

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #593 of 2,912
After 20 hours of pink noise going into the PXs, and them doing some stretch exercises every evening now, things seem to be slightly changing. Still not comfortable, but now I can survive one and a half hours commuting time in the morning and in the evening, with an additional 1-2 hours listening time in the office. I hope it is going to be improving more. Sound signature became a bit smoother at the mids, and a bit stronger at the bass, but still detailed and good to listen to. It's now really only about the comfort for me, nothing else. I am not as patient as I should be I guess, but I really want to like them in every aspects.

Tomorrow with 2 of my colleagues we are going to have a big headphone swap day. One of them has the QC35 mark 2s, the other has the B&O H6s. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of it.
How is the sound leaking in the office? Did anyone mention it? Thanks.

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #594 of 2,912
Unfortunately I have to confirm that the PX do leak more sound into the direct surroundings than the P7W. Driving them simultaneously in dual Bluetooth mode from my Galaxy Note 8 definitely proves that. My assumption is this this simply comes down to the leather ear cushions on the PX being thinner than those on the P7W .. Probably nothing that can be done to mitigate other than wait for someone offering a good alternative ear cushion.. (or B&W offering this as an upgrade accessory).

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #595 of 2,912
How is the sound leaking in the office? Did anyone mention it? Thanks.
Nobody mentioned so far, however my colleague sitting the closest to me is sick off since the day I got the PXs. When I was working from home, my wife was working from home as well at the other desk about a meter away from me. A TV was turned on in the background, definitely not loud. I was listening to music at about 60% volume, and she could not hear anything. I did not believe her, so asked her to put the PXs on, and yes, I could not hear anything either. Others are talking about significant leakage though...

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #596 of 2,912
Man, I've been wearing them for about half an hour testing with APTX HD with my new AK70 MKII that came today, and man are they uncomfortable. Pressure on my ears and top of my head, I'm going to try again some more tomorrow. They do sound good with the AK70MK II, but I also have Shure KSE1500's for home listening, and Sennheiser PXC 550's for travel. Will be doing some more testing against the PXC 550 tomorrow.
Can you tell me how stable the Bluetooth connection is, because it’s very shakey with my AK70 mk1?

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #597 of 2,912
Nobody mentioned so far, however my colleague sitting the closest to me is sick off since the day I got the PXs. When I was working from home, my wife was working from home as well at the other desk about a meter away from me. A TV was turned on in the background, definitely not loud. I was listening to music at about 60% volume, and she could not hear anything. I did not believe her, so asked her to put the PXs on, and yes, I could not hear anything either. Others are talking about significant leakage though...

I mentioned that, as I have said before, after %75 volume on the iPhone (12/16 bars) it leaks significantly and your colleagues can easily hear it.

I remember solving that issue with better earpads before (QC35s), maybe we'll have that option for PXs in the future.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #599 of 2,912
Not much has been said so far about musical genres, although The Verge review said this: "If you’re a classical music fan or you appreciate acoustic instrument productions more, you’ll probably be better served by something closer to the Audio-Technica DSR9BT — the PX are decidedly modern headphones designed for modern music tastes."

That was a little disappointing to me because I love classical music. Can anyone comment on their experience with the PX and classical music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back