Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 12, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #346 of 2,912
I've been running them in since Monday. I've used white noise etc. overnights and listening music while at work. It was far worse at the start, it's better now and still sound is muffled/boxed. They gave me their opinion within last hour.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #348 of 2,912
that could be your brain adjusting and not them actually changing from use.....

Got them connected over USB-C, they don't come up as a connected device in the USB settings mind. It says USB not connected.
Hm, I don't get any notifcation but, actually, even with the bluetooth still showing as connected the media volume no longer shows the bluetooth logo. If I unplug USB-C while the volume controls are open, it switches to the bluetooth media volume and after a brief bit of silence while it switches, the music starts again. This is using the USB-C to C cable that came with the XL

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #349 of 2,912
Could someone please test this - see if you can have ANC on without music. Apparently the Sony won't allow this and sends an annoying beep every two minutes. There are times on a flight when I just want quiet - no music, no plane noise.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #350 of 2,912
Could someone please test this - see if you can have ANC on without music. Apparently the Sony won't allow this and sends an annoying beep every two minutes. There are times on a flight when I just want quiet - no music, no plane noise.
The ANC is not good enough for that, in my opinion. They need some music in addition to the ANC to block anything out effectively.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #351 of 2,912

Yep, ANC without music works fine, and no two-minute interval beeps. Just switch on the cans and push the ANC button on the right cup :).
Adjusting ANC between office / city / flight modes, or selecting the transparency setting requires the Bluetooth connection and the app.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #352 of 2,912
I want to upgrade my Sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless. I want a new headset with more bass and if possible better ANC, but more importantly improved bass. I've been looking at B&H H9 and this headset and possibly sony wh 1000xm2, but I doubt it has better bass than momentum 2.0

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #353 of 2,912
The ANC is not good enough for that, in my opinion. They need some music in addition to the ANC to block anything out effectively.

To be precise, the music blocks out whatever is left by ANC. The better the ANC, the less music is needed to block out the rest. Don't forget that ANC is based on the principle that sounds have the form of sinuses (or soundwaves) that are blocked by (or cancelled out) by opposed sinuses. Unfortunately any given sound is a mixture of sinuses, long-waved ones, short-waved ones that make a compex sound signal and ultimately are impossible to cancel out 100%. There will always be some noise left to be covered by a blanket of lovely music :)

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #354 of 2,912

Attachments

• 0581A534-E809-40DD-A349-A124DBA66C7D.jpeg
    0581A534-E809-40DD-A349-A124DBA66C7D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #355 of 2,912
I want to upgrade my Sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless. I want a new headset with more bass and if possible better ANC, but more importantly improved bass. I've been looking at B&H H9 and this headset and possibly sony wh 1000xm2, but I doubt it has better bass than momentum 2.0
The H9 has gobs of bass but mediocre ANC. Still, it'll work well enough in an outdoor environment, but it's noise canceling capabilities are definitely middle of the pack. Build quality and comfort are far ahead though.

The XM2s have a tad more balanced sound and class-leading ANC but are the most uncomfortable out of the bunch of cans in this discussion. Not P7W vise-on-your-head uncomfortable but the earcups are cheap pleather.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #356 of 2,912
To be precise, the music blocks out whatever is left by ANC. The better the ANC, the less music is needed to block out the rest. Don't forget that ANC is based on the principle that sounds have the form of sinuses (or soundwaves) that are blocked by (or cancelled out) by opposed sinuses. Unfortunately any given sound is a mixture of sinuses, long-waved ones, short-waved ones that make a compex sound signal and ultimately are impossible to cancel out 100%. There will always be some noise left to be covered by a blanket of lovely music :)
Well I meant it as I said it, the PX have the weakest ANC of the headphones I've tested. The Sony's block out outdoor noise pretty well even without music. With the PX I can still hear the airplane noise coming through my speakers (Youtube Video). It's not as loud but nowhere near as silent as Sony or Bose. It's not an issue when you play music, though.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #359 of 2,912
I didn't notice any disruptions, interferences or unwanted noises during phone calls. People I called to did not report any changes in call quality too. I'm an iPhone 7 user.
Anyway, PX's sounds really impressive. They need some time to break in however. A week ago, after a day of use I decided to return the headphones just because I was unimpressed by the PX's sound signature. Then I filled the form on B&W website and was waiting for respond. Because it was Friday afternoon, an answer from B&W came up in my mailbox on Monday, but by then I totally changed my mind as the PX's magically "flourished" over the weekend. Not sure whether this is a placebo effect, ears ( or brain ) getting used to or sound quality really has improved over time.
NC. Well, it works really well, but if the best NC available is your top priority I would rather go elsewhere.
Some people here reported that SQ is getting worse while NC is OFF. My experience is opposite - NC OFF = better SQ, which is quite logical. I'm start wondering if B&W ( or rather their Chinese manufacturer ) messed up something in circuit boards and we are getting different results on different units.
To sum up, if I will lose them somehow, i would buy them again.
As you probably noticed, English is not my primary language, so I beg your indulgence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back