Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #901 of 2,912
Agreed.. the P7's plus a small portable amp/ dac will drown out the engine noise on a plane. But to do this I have to turn it up louder than usual cause the engine sounds drown the bass a bit.

With the PX I can get away with lower levels which is better as far as preserving hearing in the long run.

I just use a set of Shure SE846's IEM's (or cheaper ones if too expensive) which are so good at isolating sound when inserted no need for ANC, plus sound better than most headphones anyway. I work in a server room with lots of constant loud fan noise but only time I hear even a hint of noise is the gap between tracks. Only problem is I can't even hear if anyone comes in, stands behind me and starts talking! I've developed a 6th "presence" sense :)

No ANC headphones sound good compared to my SE846's/HD660S. Just use via a tiny Dragonfly Red straight out of my phone. Super lightweight & portable.

(I appreciate not everyone can get on with IEM's)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #902 of 2,912
I decided to take the leap and get a set of these. Still haven't used them much but I noticed that the difference in volume between using wireless and wired is immense. The wireless mode doesn't go quite loud enough on max, while on wired it is deafeningly loud even at 50%. Is this normal behaviour?

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #903 of 2,912
Well, this is the most positive user experience of the ANC capability of the PX in this thread. It gives me great encouragement for a lengthy, multi-city international flight I have coming up. Thanks for sharing.
I decided to take the leap and get a set of these. Still haven't used them much but I noticed that the difference in volume between using wireless and wired is immense. The wireless mode doesn't go quite loud enough on max, while on wired it is deafeningly loud even at 50%. Is this normal behaviour?

No, this isn't normal. Maybe your streaming app has a separate volume setting that causes the problem? Have you tried with a different device?

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #904 of 2,912
Agreed.. the P7's plus a small portable amp/ dac will drown out the engine noise on a plane. But to do this I have to turn it up louder than usual cause the engine sounds drown the bass a bit.

With the PX I can get away with lower levels which is better as far as preserving hearing in the long run.

Yeah, that's interesting and something I've wondered about because ANC is playing loud sound, you just don't perceive it because it's canceling the engine noise which therefore allows you to perceive the music easier ... I wonder if anyone has ever done any clinical studies of ANC. So with ANC you're getting ANC noise + lower db music noise and with no ANC you're getting muffled engine noise and louder music noise. So the question would be is constant loud ANC noise + lower music better or worse than louder but more variable music / movie?

In any event, for me I don't listen any louder on the airplane except during takeoff and landing - then I usually bump it up a notch or two, but take it back down at 10k or at cruise altitude.

I've found over the last year that I prefer no ANC for isolation because without it the engine noise blocks voices more than if ANC is on - so I guess I prefer a louder background din to a more variable intrusion of voices which I'm pretty sensitive too I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #905 of 2,912
Aaaaaaaaargggghhhhhhhh....mine today disconnected by itself from the iPhone 3 times, and the sensor is off. If it keeps doing that it will go back for a refund and I'll purchase one again when they'll be back in stock and with an updated firmware.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #911 of 2,912
Just in case anyone wishes to know! Stock should be with us again on Wednesday this week of another batch of the very popular PX. :D

I would be interested in ordering from Audio Sanctuary but from what I've read you don't accept returns. I'm afraid of comfort problems which are very individual. Please correct me if I've misread return policy.

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #914 of 2,912
Finally had a chance to put the ANC through the paces. General thoughts and impressions:

Flight:

I took a seven hour flight cross-country and they performed their ANC job very well. I think they're cool for movies. They work for music but the music isn't as engaging. I'd probably recommend bringing an IEM for music.

• Compared to ANC-Off: When I turn the ANC off, it's SHOCKING how much louder everything sounds. In my brief time turning the ANC-Off, what I noticed is that the sound-quality felt essentially the same in both modes. It was the opposite toggling in a quiet environment in that in a quiet room you'll say "Wow, there's the sound(music)" when you turn the ANC-OFF. On the plane, you'll say "Wow, there's the sound (Noise)" When you turn the ANC-OFF.
  • Compared to IEM: I have the 1More Quad and use Comply Comfort Tips. I've used the 1More very happily on flights in the past. I did a quick compare and found the isolation from the ANC from the PX to be much more significant than the foamies on the 1more. That said, I prefer the 1More for music on a flight and the B&W for movies or generally wireless sound.

City:
I'm not one to walk around a city with ANC on, but this mode seems cool for coffee shops.

Office:
My absolute favorite here. This is where I will use the ANC 90%++ of the time. The ANC does a really excellent job of turning the office into a much more peaceful and quiet environment. The voice-passthrough is perfect. If I want to leave the music off and work in peace, I can do so but also hear my neighbor if they want to get my attention.

General thoughts on ANC Sound Quality:
I've said it before but I really love how well thought out these are as a complete product. The office setting is the most overlooked part of the package. It allows you to keep 90%+ of the non-ANC sound and work in peace while hearing if someone needs to get your attention, which helps with office etiquette.

Future comparisons might happen as well. I just started a new job this past monday and the company is a large startup in hypergrowth with an open office. One of the perks is that I can expense $350 toward ANC headphones. Now I just need to decide if I want the Bose or Sony for my chamber-cans. Even with the freebie sets, I'm still very happy I bought these last month as they're really the best sounding wireless headphones I've tried and absolutely love them.

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #915 of 2,912
I'm glad that some of you are enjoying the PX. unfortunately on my side, it isn't working out to be that convincing. don't get me wrong, I wanted to love the PX but it just isn't cutting it out for me right now. the redeeming qualities that I found with the PX is the aesthetic design which is really nice and the instrument separation which in my opinion is really impressive and the built-in DAC is more than sufficient to power the cans. however, the cons seems to sink these cans to a level where spending that much cash seems like a waste, imo. for me, the SQ is just too bright for my taste and the bass is quite missing, same with the midrange. the upper registers seem to be the usual B&W signature but better. anyways, if B&W is leaning towards that neutral route, I'm quite disappointed as far as there are cheaper alternatives out there that sound close to that plane (with the exception of the B&W treble signature). I know it might sound nothing as I can always customize the EQ setting but personally, listening to multiple genres, that is quite tasking doing that everytime unless each song or music is customized already with a certain EQ. I'm not closing the door just yet and hope that certain firmware update could fix that. thank you guys for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back