Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #662 of 2,912
I think mine are faulty - I had a hard time getting them paired with my iPhone - tried charging them, resetting them with a small pin inside the ear cup - it just blinks blue - and when I try to hold the button in it doesn't go into pair mode.

Then I tried "resetting" them by holding the volume down button + the power button in - and then I finally was able to connect to my phone. But after 5-10 minutes, it loses connection, and when I try to turn them back on, they don't reconnect to my phone...

Tried the volume+power/pair trick and was able to repair them - tried opening the B&W app, but they don't connect inside there either - and when I try to let the music play then loses connection after a few minutes :frowning2:

Didn't have any problems with my P7W...

I had that exact issue... B&W confirmed that they were indeed defective and swapped them.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #663 of 2,912
070FB3FB-9979-4935-8583-87B976CBD79D.png

From, the screen shot above from the review from CNET. It says that the PX are using the same drivers as the P9's. Can anyone confirm this? Cause if it's true that's crazy...

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #664 of 2,912

From, the screen shot above from the review from CNET. It says that the PX are using the same drivers as the P9's. Can anyone confirm this? Cause if it's true that's crazy...

For what it's worth I've seen many reviews mention the exact same thing.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #665 of 2,912
For what it's worth I've seen many reviews mention the exact same thing.

They are similar, not identical. They use the same technology and positioning but they are not the same. Before the PX was released it carried the model number 8 to indicate that it was positioned somewhere between the P7W and the P9 so that makes sense..

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #667 of 2,912
Do you really expect journalists to care enough to know? Do you expect journalists to know anything? You must have no experience with journalists...

Can someone tell me if their PX turn off (autosleep) after 2 minutes with ANC off? Manual says it shouldn't happen and it's extremely annoying...

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #668 of 2,912
It says that the PX are using the same drivers as the P9's. Can anyone confirm this? Cause if it's true that's crazy...
They are similar, not identical. They use the same technology and positioning but they are not the same. Before the PX was released it carried the model number 8 to indicate that it was positioned somewhere between the P7W and the P9 so that makes sense..
yup and if you search earlier in this thread it was previously discussed. B&W used the same driver technology as in the 9 and also the same angled placement, but it is NOT the same driver.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #669 of 2,912
After listening to these all day at work the sound continues to improve.

However I played around with connecting my external Dragonfly Red DAC/AMP between my iPhone and the PX...
- it didn't do anything to scale up the sound quality
- just having the cable plugged into the headphone with or without the dragonfly caused a slight hiss or static. It didn't matter if ANC was on or off. Was kinda like plugging the aux cable into a bad aux port.
- other reviews have mentioned this static/ hiss while others mentioned no static or hiss
-wonder if mine could be defective? Maybe I should return and repurchase another one from Amazon as soon as they have a new batch in stock.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #670 of 2,912
After listening to these all day at work the sound continues to improve.

However I played around with connecting my external Dragonfly Red DAC/AMP between my iPhone and the PX...
- it didn't do anything to scale up the sound quality
- just having the cable plugged into the headphone with or without the dragonfly caused a slight hiss or static. It didn't matter if ANC was on or off. Was kinda like plugging the aux cable into a bad aux port.
- other reviews have mentioned this static/ hiss while others mentioned no static or hiss
-wonder if mine could be defective? Maybe I should return and repurchase another one from Amazon as soon as they have a new batch in stock.

Of course the static/hiss with an analog cable plugged in could be a defective unit, but I doubt it. I hear it and it disturbs me, but I have also realized that I listen to much lower volumes than most people. It was the same with the P7W where I am (in that case) slightly disturbed by the background hiss on bluetooth. Having been in contact with B&W and my local dealer trying different paris we came to the conclusion that my unit was not defective, just that I listened to lower volumes than most and/or am more sensitive to the background hiss. My guess is that it is a similar story with the PX, I am just more sensitive to the background hiss/listen to lower volumes than most people. Of course, with rock I don't hear it, but softer music or classical music is troublesome. For me though, it is not a big problem with the PX as they are so good on wireless so I don't really see a need to use them wired.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #671 of 2,912
Of course the static/hiss with an analog cable plugged in could be a defective unit, but I doubt it. I hear it and it disturbs me, but I have also realized that I listen to much lower volumes than most people. It was the same with the P7W where I am (in that case) slightly disturbed by the background hiss on bluetooth. Having been in contact with B&W and my local dealer trying different paris we came to the conclusion that my unit was not defective, just that I listened to lower volumes than most and/or am more sensitive to the background hiss. My guess is that it is a similar story with the PX, I am just more sensitive to the background hiss/listen to lower volumes than most people. Of course, with rock I don't hear it, but softer music or classical music is troublesome. For me though, it is not a big problem with the PX as they are so good on wireless so I don't really see a need to use them wired.

With my P7's (the wired model) I don't have any hiss.

However with the PX in wired mode it does have a hiss/ static. Maybe it's static electricity built up... my Alexa dot does the same thing while plugged into my clock radio. Either way on a $400 set of headphones that's just unacceptable. The majority of the time I use I see myself using it wirelessly. However if I do use it on occasional while connected to my laptop via my Dragonfly Red to listen to hi rez audio I'd prefer complete silence in the signal. These will be going back as soon as Amazon has them back in stock... maybe its a QC issue.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #672 of 2,912
With my P7's (the wired model) I don't have any hiss.

However with the PX in wired mode it does have a hiss/ static. Maybe it's static electricity built up... my Alexa dot does the same thing while plugged into my clock radio. Either way on a $400 set of headphones that's just unacceptable. The majority of the time I use I see myself using it wirelessly. However if I do use it on occasional while connected to my laptop via my Dragonfly Red to listen to hi rez audio I'd prefer complete silence in the signal. These will be going back as soon as Amazon has them back in stock... maybe its a QC issue.

Just to clarify, my P7W has no hiss either when used wired, only when wireless. Of course it is disappointing that the PX have a hiss in analog mode, but I wonder if this is where they cut some corners to not let the prize be even higher. It would be interesting to know if you get a better pair though, please keep us informed about what happens. I bought mine on an airport while travelling so returning them is a bit inconvenient.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #673 of 2,912
Just to clarify, my P7W has no hiss either when used wired, only when wireless. Of course it is disappointing that the PX have a hiss in analog mode, but I wonder if this is where they cut some corners to not let the prize be even higher. It would be interesting to know if you get a better pair though, please keep us informed about what happens. I bought mine on an airport while travelling so returning them is a bit inconvenient.
The PX doesn't really go passive, the internal DAC is always ON, so chances are that the double conversion messes with the audio signal somewhere

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #674 of 2,912
Quick fix :)

px.jpg
I've tried that method in the past and always ends up being uncomfortable for me. Only recourse is to iems if I have to wear glasses (and I do for vdu work at work which is 7 out of 8 hours a day!). The thing being I prefer headphones to iems in the first place:frowning2:

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #675 of 2,912
The PX doesn't really go passive, the internal DAC is always ON, so chances are that the double conversion messes with the audio signal somewhere

That's what I thought... there are some reviews a few threads back that say they sound great wired to an external DAC/ AMP. But the his happens as soon as i plug the included cable into the headphone with no DAC/AMP or source plugged in yet at the other end. So no double conversion happening.... tells me it's something internal or with the analogue in portion.

Yeah in wireless mode it's dead silent unless ANC is on. When ANC is on there is a slight hiss depending on the setting which is to be expected and goes away as soon as the music starts.... really not noticeable. Also it is no where near as loud as the static I am describing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back