Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Feb 18, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #961 of 1,155
Hello all.....

There is THIS

I am in the market for some Earbuds. I'm def a basshead and have had several types of earbuds (check my previous posts)
Trying to finally experiment a lil and go wireless now
Quickly saw the article above but seems to def be a puff piece.
Thus coming to you all to see if you all have any experience with some of these choices:

-Jaybird Vista 2
-Sony WF XB700
-B&W P17

Thanks in advance
If you're a basshead, have you looked at Powerbeats Pro?

I personally prefer V-shaped sound, but the Pros are kind of fun. You get used to the bass over time.

And checking this guide, they cover Vista 2 and Sony WF XB700 and have links to reviews.

Vista 2 - are the jack of all trades. You can make them sound balanced or amp up the bass with the EQ in the Jaybird app. I tried them once and really liked how many EQ modes you have to choose from, but again, listened to them in a more balanced or V-shaped EQ mode.

Sony WF XB700 - are supposedly super bassy to the point of being bloated, but that's kind of the point if you're a basshead no?

Personally, I'd always go with buds that have in-app EQ, but that's just me. :)

Mar 11, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #962 of 1,155
Hi there.
Has there been any updates and new functionalities on those PI7?
I remember them sounding great but were à bit minimalist on touch controls and features

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #963 of 1,155
Hi there.
Has there been any updates and new functionalities on those PI7?
I remember them sounding great but were à bit minimalist on touch controls and features
No. I have one for sale if your looking tho.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #965 of 1,155
Have they fixed the terrible volume on apple devices yet or is AAC still vastly inferior?
AAC is not inferior on Apple devices, actually. It is on Android, though.

The problem is on the PI7s side here (same problem as with the B&O EQ). My other TWS like the WF-1000XM4 or the Devialet Gemini e.g. go very loud on the same AAC iPhone :)

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #966 of 1,155
AAC is not inferior on Apple devices, actually. It is on Android, though.

The problem is on the PI7s side here (same problem as with the B&O EQ). My other TWS like the WF-1000XM4 or the Devialet Gemini e.g. go very loud on the same AAC iPhone :)
Nope the AAC on these earphones is much worse than Aptx hd. This has been well tested and documented earlier in the thread. Its with these earphones particularly, not a problem with the codec generally.

Mar 13, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #967 of 1,155
Nope the AAC on these earphones is much worse than Aptx hd. This has been well tested and documented earlier in the thread. Its with these earphones particularly, not a problem with the codec generally.
Which is what I meant. Not an AAC codec problem but a problem with the PI7.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #968 of 1,155
Is it me? or am I missing something but this product has been out for a year and there has not been one updates I really enjoy the sound of the PI 7 and wanted it to work with my A&K Kann as well with my SP 1000. It has been confirmed by Bowers & Wilkins that there’s a problem and a fix was in the way. Also very annoying that in order to go from true transparency to full noise canceling you have to use the app. That when you first put it up gives a Oops error. And the fact that there very little head room with the volume. I feel like they just took my money and said “you’re on your own”

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #969 of 1,155
Is it me? or am I missing something but this product has been out for a year and there has not been one updates I really enjoy the sound of the PI 7 and wanted it to work with my A&K Kann as well with my SP 1000. It has been confirmed by Bowers & Wilkins that there’s a problem and a fix was in the way. Also very annoying that in order to go from true transparency to full noise canceling you have to use the app. That when you first put it up gives a Oops error. And the fact that there very little head room with the volume. I feel like they just took my money and said “you’re on your own”
This is the problem when an audio company tries to jump into the apple/samsung tech space. They cant compete at that level. They can however make much better sound.
It's a bit sad really, but these tech companies are gobbling up the audio market. The PI7 were a failure, imo, the low volume on iOS is a ridiculous issue, the crap transparency is a joke.
The design is beautiful. The sound is beautiful. Tws need more than that though

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #970 of 1,155

This is the problem when an audio company tries to jump into the apple/samsung tech space. They cant compete at that level. They can however make much better sound.
It's a bit sad really, but these tech companies are gobbling up the audio market. The PI7 were a failure, imo, the low volume on iOS is a ridiculous issue, the crap transparency is a joke.
The design is beautiful. The sound is beautiful. Tws need more than that though
Agree. I still really like my PI7s and use them everyday for commuting but I am on Android and aptX HD works great with my Pixel 6 (find it more stable than aptX adaptive). I don't use the app much but never had trouble connecting with my Pixel 6, LG V60 or OnePlus 8T, although it still takes a while for it to load and connect. Samsung's app connects instantly and even Shure's app works great (for my Aonic 50 and TW2). I think Shure actually provides one of the better user experiences and it shows an audio company can do it if they try B&W just doesn't seem to care about the PI7.

For me, transparency mode for the PI7 is to just pull one side out of the ear (no way I am opening up the app everytime to toggle on and off) and, even though my (second replacement set of) PI7s are working great otherwise, it does annoy me that B&W has not put out any updates for people who have been having issues.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #971 of 1,155
Anyone have any good recommendations as far as ear tips that might fit these, to go a little bit deeper and wider size? I love these, my favorite, regarding sound quality (when I hold them in place) yet I can’t seem to find a good fit. I have used the ones that come with the kit, the medium is about the right size, but dont seem to go deep enough (the large size on these seems to make the fit different than any IEM I have). I have tried the spinfit cp240 double flange which are the best so far, but the leading flange still isn’t large enough (despite the fact that they are wonky in the charging case). Ive also tried the Spinfit CP100 in Large (too big) and medium (too shallow) with no success. Ive also tried several tips from the various IEM I have kicking around. Ive bought so many, but don’t want to return anything, since they have touched my ear, and i don’t want to keep wasting money.

Any recommendations?

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #972 of 1,155
Anyone have any good recommendations as far as ear tips that might fit these, to go a little bit deeper and wider size? I love these, my favorite, regarding sound quality (when I hold them in place) yet I can’t seem to find a good fit. I have used the ones that come with the kit, the medium is about the right size, but dont seem to go deep enough (the large size on these seems to make the fit different than any IEM I have). I have tried the spinfit cp240 double flange which are the best so far, but the leading flange still isn’t large enough (despite the fact that they are wonky in the charging case). Ive also tried the Spinfit CP100 in Large (too big) and medium (too shallow) with no success. Ive also tried several tips from the various IEM I have kicking around. Ive bought so many, but don’t want to return anything, since they have touched my ear, and i don’t want to keep wasting money.

Any recommendations?
Comply is the only company that work for me. They just don’t last too long you have to place them every couple months this so.

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #973 of 1,155
Comply is the only company that work for me. They just don’t last too long you have to place them every couple months this so.
which ones? The website isn't all that informative. Based on how the stock ones fit, the "shorts" are probably to be avoided (since I need to go further into the ear). Then the others to chose from are the 3 "original" designs....slim, standard or large. The problem is that the holes look to be different sizes and the slim look "longer" than the "standard and large". I'd probably need to first try "standard" but in a longer length. Maybe I am overthinking it?

https://www.complyfoam.com/products...R-vmzcIKWxe2CGMxoCWUQQAvD_BwE#filter-app-init

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0571/1760/6075/products/CanalTipStyle_800x800.png?v=1633110289

45B25ED0-F5CF-49A7-90E1-FAE03A46788C.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #974 of 1,155
which ones? The website isn't all that informative. Based on how the stock ones fit, the "shorts" are probably to be avoided (since I need to go further into the ear). Then the others to chose from are the 3 "original" designs....slim, standard or large. The problem is that the holes look to be different sizes and the slim look "longer" than the "standard and large". I'd probably need to first try "standard" but in a longer length. Maybe I am overthinking it?

https://www.complyfoam.com/products...R-vmzcIKWxe2CGMxoCWUQQAvD_BwE#filter-app-init

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0571/1760/6075/products/CanalTipStyle_800x800.png?v=1633110289

45B25ED0-F5CF-49A7-90E1-FAE03A46788C.jpeg
According the tip finder on the Comply website, TW-400C

Attachments

• DEDE26E2-9366-446F-AF4B-B2ED921BF6C9.png
    DEDE26E2-9366-446F-AF4B-B2ED921BF6C9.png
    731 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #975 of 1,155
did you go with the TW-400 model as listed above or did you go with a more generic version that I listed in my post? The TW-400 just looks to be a dome style similar to the included tips, but they are foam. I think I needed something longer, that extends further into my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back