Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 14, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #286 of 1,155
My main concern is for the Node 2i, which does NOT support aptX Adaptive, is not an android device, and is defaulting to aptX HD. Since people do not seem to believe the Node 2i is capable of aptX HD I am attaching screenshots. PI7 connects with aptX and Shure BT2 via aptX HD. Clearly I would prefer aptX HD over aptX and I assume you would agree?

Android is also capable of aptX HD. The Shure BT2 connects via aptX HD to my Oneplus 8T and V60. Screenshot from OnePlus 8T attached. If there are compatibility issues with multiple devices, I am confused as to why this is not an issue on B&W's s
Of course I agree... But I don't think the problem is in the PI7, I have tried all the supported codecs available in the PI7 directly from Linux, trying also different profiles and I had no problem at all, even changing them on the fly during playback. Also with my DAP it is connecting with aptx-HD, so from my point of view, it is not a problem the headphones... But it could be.

1621018445553.png

May 14, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #287 of 1,155
I don't hear any pop but you can hear a slight transition. As others have said these things are definitely getting a workout in the early days so I've toggled it a lot. I don't get any drops until I'm several rooms away as would be expected.

I believe when I first got them one was only showing 98%. Now, after a number of cycles, they all show 100 when you'd expect

Mine is actually popping when I toggle ANC on and off (more so when toggled on)...kind of like when you turn on a guitar amp. I will probably reach out to B&W support. Thanks for the response.

May 14, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #288 of 1,155
It is a different codec. By that logic, aptX should not be available on android either if aptX adaptive is available.

By the way, the Node 2i, which is the device in question in the post that I originally responded to, does not even have adaptive but it DOES support aptX HD, which is why I posted those screenshots. PI7s are connecting to the Node 2i using aptx instead of aptx HD. You can see the codec in the bottom right corner of the screenshot (screenshot is from the BluOS app).
My node2i friend, i have the same issue, BUT i just had this from bluesound "
Thank you for getting back to me with the update.

In this case, to help me better understand the situation may you please pair your Node 2i to your B&W earphones via Bluetooth.

Then, play a song from one of the music streaming services on our BluOS Controller App to your earphones, and once the song finishes please pause the playback.

From here, may you please then send me a diagnostics log from your Node 2i.

Please ensure that you are able to see and select your Node 2i under the "My Players" drawer (house-shaped icon) within our BluOS Controller App before proceeding.

You can send this log by going to Help -> Send Support Request in the BluOS app. You can find this on the left side of the desktop app or by selecting the 3 lines in the top left corner of the mobile app."

I have just sent the logs...They should be able to prove the node2i is transmitting in aptx hd, and the issue is with the Pi7, so we can go back to B&W with evidence.

May 14, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #289 of 1,155
Moving on from aptX HD....

Does anyone hear a popping noise when toggling ANC? Kind of like when your turn on an amp...not sure if that is normal. I also could not put my phone in my pocket without getting constant dropouts but a factory reset seems to have resolved that for now.

Only other issue is my left earbud will not charge to 100% (gets stuck at 99%). Wondering if I got a defective unit. Going to try draining the battery all the way, which should not take long (one benefit to short battery life).
Yes, I get a pop when I turn on ANC - as you say, like turning an amp on.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #290 of 1,155
Yes, I get a pop when I turn on ANC - as you say, like turning an amp on.
Thanks. Maybe its just the way it is then. I may stick with it instead of trying to get a replacement. Factory resets seemed to fix the skipping (sounded like a badly scratched CD) and battery resolved itself after fully draining. Got close to 4 hours in a row but I listen at 40% volume (volume is good on my V60 and Oneplus 8T).

One other thing I noticed, when I put the master bud (for example, the right side) back in the case and want to use just the left, my PI7s disconnect, music stops, and the left side has to reconnect before I can use it again. Is this the way it works for everyone else? I guess I was hoping for more seamless switching like my Galaxy Buds Live (I like to switch ears during long calls).

I also noticed that if the right side is the master and I put the left side in the case and then later take it back out, I will sometimes, but not always, have to put both earbuds back in the case and repair them to get the left side to work again. This isna bit annoying. The pairing process is clunky and just want to make sure it is not only me.

May 14, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #291 of 1,155
AptX HD does not work on the PI7 with my Node 2i. Will try the other one later too but I suspect it is the PI7. AptX HD works fine with my Qudelix 5K.

I actually cannot force aptX HD on my LG V60 and OnePlus 8T. both only connect to the PI7 via aptX Adaptive and aptX HD is not available. Screenshots from my V60 attached.
I think if adaptive is available HD may not be. Adaptive basically includes HD. At least that’s my understanding.
Edit- I see others have covered this. In any event I still think of a phone supports adaptive it is not likely to also support HD separately. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #292 of 1,155
I think if adaptive is available HD may not be. Adaptive basically includes HD. At least that’s my understanding.
Maybe. Thinking it is a Qualcomm thing. I remember on my 5K I had to disable adaptive to get LDAC to work. Still doesn't explain the Node 2i issue though. I emailed B&W as well. Maybe if enough people bring it to their attention they may look into it.

I've been switching back and forth between stock tips and Spinfit 100z...Spinfits are a bit longer so feel more secure but I also hear what you guys have been saying about clearing up. It definitely takes away some of the B&W "house sound" which tends to soften the bass a bit and sometimes can sound a bit "muddy". It reminds me of how I preferred my B&W MM-1 computer speakers using the aux input vs. USB input. The USB input sounded very colored. PI7s really do sound fantastic with the Spinfits. Ordered the Final Audio tips last night too to give them a try.

While it sounds super clear and the bass seems to tighten up without the stock filters (i.e. uaing Spinfits), I will admit I am pretty treble sensitive and prefer warmer sound signatures so it did get a bit fatiguing for me with the Spinfits. Have the Spinfits back on now but may end up just using the stock tips.

May 14, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #293 of 1,155
Thanks. Maybe its just the way it is then. I may stick with it instead of trying to get a replacement. Factory resets seemed to fix the skipping (sounded like a badly scratched CD) and battery resolved itself after fully draining. Got close to 4 hours in a row but I listen at 40% volume (volume is good on my V60 and Oneplus 8T).
I just got the PI5 today and I did get a popping noise when turning on ANC. But it only happened once. What interesting is that at the time I was in the app to switch the earbuds to ANC mode from ambient mode. The ANC mode turned on (making the popping sound), but ambient mode also stayed on. Not sure if that was the cause, but I've noticed that the app doesn't deactivate one mode automatically when switching the other on. Not sure if its just a visual bug, but its a bit weird considering all of the other ANC earbuds (Soundcore, Sony) that I've used that have an app automatically switch off other modes when turning one on.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #294 of 1,155
I just got the PI5 today and I did get a popping noise when turning on ANC. But it only happened once. What interesting is that at the time I was in the app to switch the earbuds to ANC mode from ambient mode. The ANC mode turned on (making the popping sound), but ambient mode also stayed on. Not sure if that was the cause, but I've noticed that the app doesn't deactivate one mode automatically when switching the other on. Not sure if its just a visual bug, but its a bit weird considering all of the other AND earbuds (Soundcore, Sony) that I've used that have an app automatically switch off other modes when turning one on.
Interesting. I havent really gotten around to using ambient mode but I suspect it is just the app/visual. My app wont even report the correct battery level until I close all apps on Android and restart it fully. The app is really buggy.

My ambient was/is off and it pops every time I toggle ANC so dont think it is related (just tested it now to make sure). Really strange though.

May 15, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #295 of 1,155

One other thing I noticed, when I put the master bud (for example, the right side) back in the case and want to use just the left, my PI7s disconnect, music stops, and the left side has to reconnect before I can use it again. Is this the way it works for everyone else? I guess I was hoping for more seamless switching like my Galaxy Buds Live (I like to switch ears during long calls).

I also noticed that if the right side is the master and I put the left side in the case and then later take it back out, I will sometimes, but not always, have to put both earbuds back in the case and repair them to get the left side to work again. This isna bit annoying. The pairing process is clunky and just want to make sure it is not only me.
I emailed BW about this.

"With regards to the headphones, when playing in stereo mode, one will become the master to make sure that audio and controls are synchronised with the phone. Depending on which takes on this task, one will be working harder. Therefore battery consumption will not be equal for each unit"

So either one can be the Master each time you use it. You tried removing the left one first from the case?

May 15, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #297 of 1,155
I emailed BW about this.

"With regards to the headphones, when playing in stereo mode, one will become the master to make sure that audio and controls are synchronised with the phone. Depending on which takes on this task, one will be working harder. Therefore battery consumption will not be equal for each unit"

So either one can be the Master each time you use it. You tried removing the left one first from the case?
Yes it works the other way around where left can become the master bud but that is not the issue I am pointing out. That us why I said "for example the right side" in the parenthetical in my original post, which you quoted. The behavior is the same if the left earbud is the master. If I remove the master earbud and put it back in the case, the PI7 (both sides) disconnects and has to reconnect the slave side that is still in my ear, disrupting my music playback (have to hit play after waiting for one side that is still in my ear to reconnect) and doesnt really work for calls if I want to rotate sides (cant have my earbuds disconnecting during a Zoom call). My Galaxy Buds Live allow me to switch between left, right and both seamlessly so I was hoping these would behave similarly. I have not heard anyone talk about this so I was bringing it up to the group to see if they also noticed it.

I could be the only one here that likes to take calls with one side only? I have never been able to get used to talking with both ears covered.

May 15, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #298 of 1,155
Yes it works the other way around where left can become the master bud but that is not the issue I am pointing out. That us why I said "for example the right side" in the parenthetical in my original post, which you quoted. The behavior is the same if the left earbud is the master. If I remove the master earbud and put it back in the case, the PI7 (both sides) disconnects and has to reconnect the slave side that is still in my ear, disrupting my music playback (have to hit play after waiting for one side that is still in my ear to reconnect) and doesnt really work for calls if I want to rotate sides (cant have my earbuds disconnecting during a Zoom call). My Galaxy Buds Live allow me to switch between left, right and both seamlessly so I was hoping these would behave similarly. I have not heard anyone talk about this so I was bringing it up to the group to see if they also noticed it.

I could be the only one here that likes to take calls with one side only? I have never been able to get used to talking with both ears covered.
I can't do calls with buds that dont have transparency. Airpods Pro are absolutely superb for calls for that reason, they have a great mic, transparency, and the comfort that you forget they're even in. PI7, I wouldn't even dream of using them lol...I have by accident wants and it was not good, I don't think they're really designed for it. They're an audio product first and foremost.

May 15, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #299 of 1,155
I can't do calls with buds that dont have transparency. Airpods Pro are absolutely superb for calls for that reason, they have a great mic, transparency, and the comfort that you forget they're even in. PI7, I wouldn't even dream of using them lol...I have by accident wants and it was not good, I don't think they're really designed for it. They're an audio product first and foremost.
So I am guessing yours does the same thing I described? Yes, I mainly use Galaxy Buds Live for calls since I am on Android and they have been fantastic (SQ is passable for doing chores or background music) but I also have 2 phones and a laptop and got sick of picking up a call only to find out the earbud is connected to the wrong device (and having to tell my CEO or CFO to hold up because I cant figure out my bluetooth is not great). I was hoping to have a dedicated TWS for each device so that is why I cate about call quality too.

This last part is not directed at you (@mainguy) or anyone specifically but more reiterating what some others have said on headfi regarding the PI7 - B&W is an audio company but it also isnt some new startup either so they really should have done their research and testing, especially given (1) they really took their time brining the PI7 to the market (and made a big deal about having taken their time) (2) they are charging quite a premium over other brands which should provide some room in the budget for R&D (and reduce RMA/warranty costs) and (3) the fourth bullet at the top of their product page states "Six microphones for perfect sound and call quality"; "perfect" is a strong word.

EDIT: just want to add that the SQ on these are great and much better than my original Senn MTWs or M&D MW07 Go. but for a premium product there are still a lot of rough edges. Hopefully B&W can address in a future firmware update or in the PI7's successor.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #300 of 1,155
So I am guessing yours does the same thing I described? Yes, I mainly use Galaxy Buds Live for calls since I am on Android and they have been fantastic (SQ is passable for doing chores or background music) but I also have 2 phones and a laptop and got sick of picking up a call only to find out the earbud is connected to the wrong device (and having to tell my CEO or CFO to hold up because I cant figure out my bluetooth is not great). I was hoping to have a dedicated TWS for each device so that is why I cate about call quality too.

This last part is not directed at you (@mainguy) or anyone specifically but more reiterating what some others have said on headfi regarding the PI7 - B&W is an audio company but it also isnt some new startup either so they really should have done their research and testing, especially given (1) they really took their time brining the PI7 to the market (and made a big deal about having taken their time) (2) they are charging quite a premium over other brands which should provide some room in the budget for R&D (and reduce RMA/warranty costs) and (3) the fourth bullet at the top of their product page states "Six microphones for perfect sound and call quality"; "perfect" is a strong word.

EDIT: just want to add that the SQ on these are great and much better than my original Senn MTWs or M&D MW07 Go. but for a premium product there are still a lot of rough edges. Hopefully B&W can address in a future firmware update or in the PI7's successor.
I agree it should be better in certain regards, but as consumers we need to recognise companies strengths too.

Apple charge a big premium for Airpods Pro, and developed them for ages. Do they sound good? Well, not really. Is the tech good? Perfect.

Similar idea really. I agree though at £350 I'd want every function to be pretty much working. For me at least everything is, I've had no problems. That said, I wish transparency mode was better so I could use them for calls, as it is, it's useless.

I think comparing them to Airpods Pro at £250, it's a fair price imo. People tend to pay more for SQ as opposed to tech, which is what the pods offer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back