Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 14, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #271 of 1,155
You need an Xperia 1 ii like Pitter. That’s a real big boy aptx HD phone.

Dont think that is the point...it should work with any device (phone, streamer, DAP, etc that is capable of aptX HD). Looks like this is an issue with the PI7 that B&W needs to address. Another phone (regardless of being "big boy" or not) is not an option and should not be a solution. AptX HD is listed in their specs and it does not say aptX HD only with the Xperia1.

I was hoping to use these with the Node 2i that sits on my desk so I am disappointed but not giving up on B&W and hoping they can address in a firmware update. Will be reaching out to them when I have some time.

Well actually Android does not let you use APTX-HD, but APTX Adaptative that is the improvement of Qualcomm to the aptx-hd. Aptx Adaptative is a revision of Aptx-HD of Qualcomm from 2018, and it is actually compatible with aptxhd and aptx. Which actually makes sense as it allows also 24bits @ 48KHz improves stability and reduces latency.

It is well explained in wikipedia, so don't you worry, you get the best quality possible with it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

aptX Adaptive​

aptX Adaptive is a next-generation dynamically adjustable audio codec intended for premium audio quality and low-latency. aptX Adaptive’s bitrate scales dynamically between 279kbps and 420kbps. It also works with a shared, rather than dedicated, wireless antenna.[37] Qualcomm claims their new compression algorithm provides a compression ratio between 5:1 to 10:1. This allows aptX Adaptive at 279kbps and 420kbps to produce the same sound quality as aptX at 352kbps and aptX HD at 576kbps. aptX Adaptive supports 16 and 24 bit-depths at 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz sample rates. Hardware aptX Adaptive has end-to-end latency of 80ms,[29] but most phones are using a software transmitter - which does not have any latency advantages over other codecs.[41] aptX Adaptive is also backward compatible with older aptX codecs.[37][42][43][44]

May 14, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #272 of 1,155
Dont think that is the point...it should work with any device (phone, streamer, DAP, etc that is capable of aptX HD). Looks like this is an issue with the PI7 that B&W needs to address. Another phone (regardless of being "big boy" or not) is not an option and should not be a solution. AptX HD is listed in their specs and it does not say aptX HD only with the Xperia1.

I was hoping to use these with the Node 2i that sits on my desk so I am disappointed but not giving up on B&W and hoping they can address in a firmware update. Will be reaching out to them when I have some time.
Ive had them connected in AptX HD from various sources, so it may well be the Bluetooth implementation on the device that’s the issue. What I don’t get is why you would want HD when you can get Adaptive? It’s a later implementation of hi-res capable codec that offers 24/48 streaming, but just amends the bitrate when there’s headroom for a more stable connection.

May 14, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #273 of 1,155
AptX HD does not work on the PI7 with my Node 2i. Will try the other one later too but I suspect it is the PI7. AptX HD works fine with my Qudelix 5K.

I actually cannot force aptX HD on my LG V60 and OnePlus 8T. both only connect to the PI7 via aptX Adaptive and aptX HD is not available. Screenshots from my V60 attached.
I have tried everything to get them to work on the node2i such a shame, but at least i can take a little comfort knowing its not my set up, I have ordered the creative BT-W3 dongle just see if my pi7 are working in aptx hd mode. Bluesound are adamant its an issue with the PI7, thank you for posting

May 14, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #274 of 1,155
Well actually Android does not let you use APTX-HD, but APTX Adaptative that is the improvement of Qualcomm to the aptx-hd. Aptx Adaptative is a revision of Aptx-HD of Qualcomm from 2018, and it is actually compatible with aptxhd and aptx. Which actually makes sense as it allows also 24bits @ 48KHz improves stability and reduces latency.

It is well explained in wikipedia, so don't you worry, you get the best quality possible with it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

Ive had them connected in AptX HD from various sources, so it may well be the Bluetooth implementation on the device that’s the issue. What I don’t get is why you would want HD when you can get Adaptive? It’s a later implementation of hi-res capable codec that offers 24/48 streaming, but just amends the bitrate when there’s headroom for a more stable connection.

My main concern is for the Node 2i, which does NOT support aptX Adaptive, is not an android device, and is defaulting to aptX HD. Since people do not seem to believe the Node 2i is capable of aptX HD I am attaching screenshots. PI7 connects with aptX and Shure BT2 via aptX HD. Clearly I would prefer aptX HD over aptX and I assume you would agree?

Android is also capable of aptX HD. The Shure BT2 connects via aptX HD to my Oneplus 8T and V60. Screenshot from OnePlus 8T attached. If there are compatibility issues with multiple devices, I am confused as to why this is not an issue on B&W's side?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210514-130601.png
    Screenshot_20210514-130601.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210514-130729.png
    Screenshot_20210514-130729.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210514-130956.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-130956.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #275 of 1,155
AptX HD does not work on the PI7 with my Node 2i. Will try the other one later too but I suspect it is the PI7. AptX HD works fine with my Qudelix 5K.

I actually cannot force aptX HD on my LG V60 and OnePlus 8T. both only connect to the PI7 via aptX Adaptive and aptX HD is not available. Screenshots from my V60 attached.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Aptx Adaptive embody Aptx-Hd too? As far as I know, Aptx Adaptive is the newest codec and essentially replaces (renames?) Aptx Hd at the same bitrates/depth. Yes it may adapt and function at bitrates closer to classic Aptx but if the app is reporting Aptx Adaptive, it does not mean it is not functioning at bitrates/depth once reserved for Aptx-HD.

EDIT: Just realised @Pitter said the same thing.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #276 of 1,155
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Aptx Adaptive embody Aptx-Hd too? As far as I know, Aptx Adaptive is the newest codec and essentially replaces (renames?) Aptx Hd at the same bitrates/depth. Yes it may adapt and function at bitrates closer to classic Aptx but if the app is reporting Aptx Adaptive, it does not mean it is not functioning at bitrates/depth once reserved for Aptx-HD.
It is a different codec. By that logic, aptX should not be available on android either if aptX adaptive is available.

By the way, the Node 2i, which is the device in question in the post that I originally responded to, does not even have adaptive but it DOES support aptX HD, which is why I posted those screenshots. PI7s are connecting to the Node 2i using aptx instead of aptx HD. You can see the codec in the bottom right corner of the screenshot (screenshot is from the BluOS app).

May 14, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #278 of 1,155
It is a different codec. By that logic, aptX should not be available on android either if aptX adaptive is available.

By the way, the Node 2i, which is the device in question in the post that I originally responded to, does not even have adaptive but it DOES support aptX HD, which is why I posted those screenshots. PI7s are connecting to the Node 2i using aptx instead of aptx HD. You can see the codec in the bottom right corner of the screenshot (screenshot is from the BluOS app).
I am just speculating but it may also be that because classic aptx is the 'fallback' codec in any case, you cannot strip that option to the device requesting a handshake. But you can replace your 'optional' codec by forcing another optional codec during the handshake and not break compatibility.

May 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #279 of 1,155
It comes with “normal” USB adapter again 😅 looks abit weird but works perfect 4AF87600-90B1-4F3A-84E1-9B8388A2660C.jpeg
I just purchased one for myself too off Amazon! Just wanted to ask: when you manually choose another codec on the BT-W3 for example Aptx-LL, does the BW app report the same codec too?

This is the ideal way to test if the app is correctly reporting codecs since you can manually choose your codec on the Bt-W3.

May 14, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #281 of 1,155
I just purchased one for myself too off Amazon! Just wanted to ask: when you manually choose another codec on the BT-W3 for example Aptx-LL, does the BW app report the same codec too?

This is the ideal way to test if the app is correctly reporting codecs since you can manually choose your codec on the Bt-W3.
yes it does , you can see under the connections menu which codec is in use :)

May 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #283 of 1,155
I am just speculating but it may also be that because classic aptx is the 'fallback' codec in any case, you cannot strip that option to the device requesting a handshake. But you can replace your 'optional' codec by forcing another optional codec during the handshake and not break compatibility.
I think the fallback codec is SBC...there are many TWS that do not support aptX. My JBL Reflect Flow does not have aptX, for example, so it uses SBC.

May 14, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #284 of 1,155
Moving on from aptX HD....

Does anyone hear a popping noise when toggling ANC? Kind of like when your turn on an amp...not sure if that is normal. I also could not put my phone in my pocket without getting constant dropouts but a factory reset seems to have resolved that for now.

Only other issue is my left earbud will not charge to 100% (gets stuck at 99%). Wondering if I got a defective unit. Going to try draining the battery all the way, which should not take long (one benefit to short battery life).

May 14, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #285 of 1,155
I don't hear any pop but you can hear a slight transition. As others have said these things are definitely getting a workout in the early days so I've toggled it a lot. I don't get any drops until I'm several rooms away as would be expected.

I believe when I first got them one was only showing 98%. Now, after a number of cycles, they all show 100 when you'd expect

1621018772866.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back