Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 13, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #226 of 1,155
I feel like a lot of the guys saying the ANC is good is confusing it with noise reduction achieved with the combination of ANC + passive noise cancellation. I agree the combination of the two reduces noise (still lets the highs in) but compared to something like Bose QC Earbuds, the ANC is really on the weaker side of things. God forbid you eartips dont fit well, then all sorts of external sound comes through.
Well, yes, if the tips don't fit well, not only is noise reduction going to suffer, so is the sound. With tips that fit, I find the overall noise reduction better than the xm3. As you say, the highs still come through somewhat, and I presume the PI7s aren't as good as the Bose (I don't have them) for noise reduction. They sound extremely good to my ears, though, to the extent that I think they are well worth the price.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #227 of 1,155
Interesting so I wonder why the PI7 will not connect in HD, and now both vendors are pointing at each other
Just a thought.... I just scanned for bluetooth devices near my node2i and the PI7 and to my surprise it picked up over 30 devices, tv's, watches, laptop, you name it everything has bluetooth could it be interference that is stopping the aptx hd connection with the PI7

May 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #228 of 1,155
The 360s do not fit the core, so suggest you try the 145s or the 100s.
Thank you for that. Since I have to re-order anyway can you (or anyone :) ) comment on what size might be between the two offered in the box with the P17? Would it be a medium for SpinFit? The smaller of the two are ok but a bit loose. The larger is very large for my ears. I appreciate the help.

May 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #229 of 1,155
Just ordered an Xperia 1 ii, I’ll let you guys know how these sound driven from that vs the iPhone, and if it matches the case In SQ

Im going to order some spinfits for these, does anyone know which nozzle diameter to use? Thanks

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #231 of 1,155
I've tried CP360 and CP100 (4-5.5mm). Both work fine.
Thank you.

Also,

I contacted support yesterday about my right side earpiece discharging ~20% faster than the left. Reply:

Response By Email (James (Customer Support)) (05/13/2021 12:29 PM)
Hello James,

Thank you for contacting Bowers & Wilkins Technical Support. Based on how the headphones work when both ear buds are in use one headphone is used as the primary and you could see a difference between the two ear buds battery life. When the headphones are used with the Adaptive Noise Cancellation Off and reasonable volume the headphones expected time of use is 4 hrs, with the Noise cancellation enabled 3 and half to 3hrs and 45 mins. This is when used on a full battery charge.

I do not think you're doing nothing wrong in the use of the headphones and based on this the headphones seem to be working as designed. If you have any further questions please let us know.
------------------------------

May 13, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #232 of 1,155
Must admit, after two days of heavy use, going back to my Airpods Max, I prefer these. I compared them back on forth on a track today to see exactly why, the mids are more present on the PI7, vocals have more body. It’s just a more balanced, enjoyable presentation, which suprised me a fair bit, as i’m a big fan of the Maxes. Wasn’t expecting to like these so much after trying the PX from bowers, which was absolutely terrible imo.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #233 of 1,155
So B&W are telling us we should just accept one bud going dead while the other is not? What an odd answer.

Earlier today I had 26% left in my right bud and 56% in my left. Better than the day before when my right died when there was still 50% left in my left.

May 13, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #234 of 1,155
Must admit, after two days of heavy use, going back to my Airpods Max, I prefer these. I compared them back on forth on a track today to see exactly why, the mids are more present on the PI7, vocals have more body. It’s just a more balanced, enjoyable presentation, which suprised me a fair bit, as i’m a big fan of the Maxes. Wasn’t expecting to like these so much after trying the PX from bowers, which was absolutely terrible imo.
I didn't like the PX either, but I like the PI7s very much. There is just a hint of the boxiness that put me off the PX but I don't find it objectional on the PI7s. I do lift the treble on the PI7s to suit my taste. I have antique ears, so that might be part of why.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #235 of 1,155
Thank you.

Also,

I contacted support yesterday about my right side earpiece discharging ~20% faster than the left. Reply:

Response By Email (James (Customer Support)) (05/13/2021 12:29 PM)
Hello James,

Thank you for contacting Bowers & Wilkins Technical Support. Based on how the headphones work when both ear buds are in use one headphone is used as the primary and you could see a difference between the two ear buds battery life. When the headphones are used with the Adaptive Noise Cancellation Off and reasonable volume the headphones expected time of use is 4 hrs, with the Noise cancellation enabled 3 and half to 3hrs and 45 mins. This is when used on a full battery charge.

I do not think you're doing nothing wrong in the use of the headphones and based on this the headphones seem to be working as designed. If you have any further questions please let us know.
------------------------------
I find that one discharges more quickly than the other, too.

May 13, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #236 of 1,155
Sounds like they are using a master/slave configuration when using both earbuds based on their response. If true, that would explain the faster battery drain on one side. Does seem strange and not the way I thought it would work though.

May 13, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #237 of 1,155

I find that one discharges more quickly than the other, too

Earlier today I had 26% left in my right bud and 56% in my left. Better than the day before when my right died when there was still 50% left in my left.

Same here.

It’s like the opposite of my experience the last few months using airpods pro/airpods max exclusively. Tech wise they’ve been perfect, pairing, ANC, transparency, all works a charm. But the audio is lacking.

PI7 total opposite, but audio is in another league.

May 13, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #238 of 1,155
Thank you for that. Since I have to re-order anyway can you (or anyone :) ) comment on what size might be between the two offered in the box with the P17? Would it be a medium for SpinFit? The smaller of the two are ok but a bit loose. The larger is very large for my ears. I appreciate the help.
I will be testing fit on spinfits with the PI7 later today. Just got my unit in earlier. The medium looks a little smaller than the mediums from both the cp100 and cp145

May 13, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #239 of 1,155
I will be testing fit on spinfits with the PI7 later today. Just got my unit in earlier. The medium looks a little smaller than the mediums from both the cp100 and cp145

I brought the calipers out. I got 11.5mm on the one fitted to the units out of the box (their medium) and 13.5 on the largest ones in the box. I ordered a 12.5 Slipfit (medium) to check that fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back