Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 8, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #121 of 1,155
So I have been tip-rolling again, quite extensively. I took out all the tips I could find (iBasso tips, Spinfit dual flange, Fiio tips) and on some tips the ANC seems to be a tad more effective. This is likely due to the way these tips seal.

As far as sq is concerned, I noticed that large bore tips make them sound harsh and uncontrolled so to speak. Smaller bore tips work best, but the SpinFits really open them up without sacrificing low-end. They’re quite remarkable that way to me, even more so when connected through the case (with the case connected to iPhone for streaming duties).

I’m underwhelmed by the ANC, but I’d very happily sacrifice the ANC for this kind of sq. The pass-through functionality is not as good as the app (on those it is rather impressive) but it is very functional and I can live with it. And the case functionality, how it can act as a streamer, is a nice bonus that I’m actually using a lot.

So all in all I think B&W didn’t really disappoint, but let’s hope they can and will add the finishing touches with sw upgrades.
Could I ask what are you using for iPhone for streaming, standard cck?

May 8, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #123 of 1,155
Could I ask what are you using for iPhone for streaming, standard cck?
Why would need a cck to stream from an iPhone? It wouldn’t offer any improvement on sound with these. If you use the case as a transmitter it will use aptx ll. If you use an iPhone it’s AAC. AAC over iOS is probably a better choice.

May 8, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #125 of 1,155
Why would need a cck to stream from an iPhone? It wouldn’t offer any improvement on sound with these. If you use the case as a transmitter it will use aptx ll. If you use an iPhone it’s AAC. AAC over iOS is probably a better choice.
I need to test a bit more, but I actually feel that streaming from the case sounds better compared to directly connected to the iPhone. I don’t know why, and I will test more, but this is my first impression so far :wink:

May 8, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #126 of 1,155
I need to test a bit more, but I actually feel that streaming from the case sounds better compared to directly connected to the iPhone. I don’t know why, and I will test more, but this is my first impression so far :wink:
Possible I suppose but I can’t think of any reason why. Any differences would have to be slight. I admittedly haven’t tried the case with my iPhone so you have me intrigued.

May 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #127 of 1,155
I thought I’d share some real-world pictures of the black ones. In press pics they seem rather black, but they are actually more grey-ish. I hope that comes through in the pictures.

66581006-537C-4F75-B8FD-F7A05AA11250.jpeg

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #128 of 1,155
Looks good, been testing all weekend some interesting points.
Set up 1:

UGREEN Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter MFi TRRS Aux Earphone Audio Mic Cable Compatible and the supplied usb c 3.5mm jack. Sound is stunning but the touch controls on the earphone no longer work. Transmission codec aptX LL​

set up 2: apple cck with standard usb c cable, sound is stunning, transmission codex aptX, and touch controls still work.

set up 3: standard Bluetooth connection sound is still very good, better than all the other Bluetooth earphones I have tried including the sens, which I could not get to fit, transmission codec aac.

overall anc seems ok when music is playing and it does seem to change the range of the base sound more depth

Lastly I’m convinced the sound via retransmission is better then standard Bluetooth aac, not sure why, but the depth of low frequency’s is stunning. I wonder when using the cck to the case for transmission what is going on in the case and the compression rates in aptX are preserving something,
My sources are Amazon music hd and hf player onyko on iPhone 12 Pro Max

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #129 of 1,155
So I have been tip-rolling again, quite extensively. I took out all the tips I could find (iBasso tips, Spinfit dual flange, Fiio tips) and on some tips the ANC seems to be a tad more effective. This is likely due to the way these tips seal.

As far as sq is concerned, I noticed that large bore tips make them sound harsh and uncontrolled so to speak. Smaller bore tips work best, but the SpinFits really open them up without sacrificing low-end. They’re quite remarkable that way to me, even more so when connected through the case (with the case connected to iPhone for streaming duties).

I’m underwhelmed by the ANC, but I’d very happily sacrifice the ANC for this kind of sq. The pass-through functionality is not as good as the app (on those it is rather impressive) but it is very functional and I can live with it. And the case functionality, how it can act as a streamer, is a nice bonus that I’m actually using a lot.

So all in all I think B&W didn’t really disappoint, but let’s hope they can and will add the finishing touches with sw upgrades.
Which spinfits are you using for these?

May 9, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #130 of 1,155
Looks good, been testing all weekend some interesting points.
Set up 1:

UGREEN Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter MFi TRRS Aux Earphone Audio Mic Cable Compatible and the supplied usb c 3.5mm jack. Sound is stunning but the touch controls on the earphone no longer work. Transmission codec aptX LL​

set up 2: apple cck with standard usb c cable, sound is stunning, transmission codex aptX, and touch controls still work.

set up 3: standard Bluetooth connection sound is still very good, better than all the other Bluetooth earphones I have tried including the sens, which I could not get to fit, transmission codec aac.

overall anc seems ok when music is playing and it does seem to change the range of the base sound more depth

Lastly I’m convinced the sound via retransmission is better then standard Bluetooth aac, not sure why, but the depth of low frequency’s is stunning. I wonder when using the cck to the case for transmission what is going on in the case and the compression rates in aptX are preserving something,
My sources are Amazon music hd and hf player onyko on iPhone 12 Pro Max
If you have access to an android phone it would be useful to test them using AptxHD. I have both and I am hard pressed to hear a difference once matched for volume. But my ears are getting old and tired.

May 10, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #134 of 1,155
ive paired them with Creative BT-W3 and works fine with APTX-HD

Thanks. Will be interesting to see if there is a batch with issues or something.

I still haven't received any reply from B&W asking them about the ANC, but I got quite a few other questions as well. One being the HD issue. It skipping like crazy. My right plug losing battery a lot faster than the left etc. I have never experienced so many issues with a product before.

May 10, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #135 of 1,155
Thanks. Will be interesting to see if there is a batch with issues or something.

I still haven't received any reply from B&W asking them about the ANC, but I got quite a few other questions as well. One being the HD issue. It skipping like crazy. My right plug losing battery a lot faster than the left etc. I have never experienced so many issues with a product before.
Welcome to the world of TWS. The only ones I have that I did not have issues with are my Samsung Galaxy Buds and Galaxy Buds Live. Also have Sennheiser MTW (original) (batter drain/ case broke and replaced by manufacturer), M&D MW07 Go (battery would not charge fully. Returned and repurchased. Second pair worked fine for a little over one year left bud doesnt always connect and bottons sometimes dont work) and JBL Reflect Flow (no sound if put too deep in ear, replaced by JBL and second paid is a bit better) and I am on my second set for each of them.

Still waiting for my PI7 to arrive but im keeping my expectations low. It does seem like there may be a bad batch as you point out. If it has good SQ/connection and call quality it will be good enough for me. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back