Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 6, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #46 of 1,155
So I've been using a QI charging pad to charge the PI7 in its case since I got it last week. So far this hasn't been a problem until this morning, when I took out the earpieces out of the case. Right away I noticed they are warm to the touch. They also didn't turn on and pair to my phone like they usually do.

It took a few minutes of cooling, then putting in and out of the case a few times before they connected.

Should I be worried here, especially since it's only 1 week old?

May 6, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #47 of 1,155
I agree that it is very subjective, but I personally like the sound better with SpinFits due to the more open character. Let me put it like this: with stock tips they remind me of the PX7, with the SpinFits they remind me of the P7W. And I'm a P7W guy :wink:

I hear you. Was just pointing it out in case someone is not familiar with B&W. I think many, including myself, were hoping for P7W but not surprised it is PX7. What Spinfits are you using? CP360s?

May 6, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #48 of 1,155
I hear you. Was just pointing it out in case someone is not familiar with B&W. I think many, including myself, were hoping for P7W but not surprised it is PX7. What Spinfits are you using? CP360s?
I'm actually using the SpinFit CP145 that came with my Fiio FH7's

May 6, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #49 of 1,155
Also, my ANC is much worse than the Sony ‘s. It hardly seems to work at all. I wonder if you have been able to figure it out.
I actually agree with you. I went to a supermarket with these in and I could hear almost everything. Turning the ANC on basically only removes the super consistent low hum around you and can't deal with any of the other ambient sounds. It's almost as if nothing is working.

May 6, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #50 of 1,155
So I've been using a QI charging pad to charge the PI7 in its case since I got it last week. So far this hasn't been a problem until this morning, when I took out the earpieces out of the case. Right away I noticed they are warm to the touch. They also didn't turn on and pair to my phone like they usually do.

It took a few minutes of cooling, then putting in and out of the case a few times before they connected.

Should I be worried here, especially since it's only 1 week old?
sounds like the metallic housings are interacting with the qi charger magnetic field. Perhaps its why other wireless buds have plastic housings lol

May 6, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #51 of 1,155
Picked up a pair of PI7's today, as I was intrigued that this might finally be the TWS that combines decent design, features and sound quality.
Still testing, but fir impressions are that the supplied tips are crap. They have some damping material in the nozzle which to me totally eliminates the BA driver in there. Put on some SpinFits and immediately got a better and more open sound.

Regards
Yes, I found the same thing with the felt/foam or whatever it is inside the stock tips. I wouldn't say it eliminates the BA driver altogether, but it does cut back the highs. I have xelastec tips on at the moment. Tried spinftis and they were fine, too.

May 7, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #53 of 1,155
I really like it so far, see my initial thoughts on the PI7 at post #34.

One additional note after couple of days of using, ANC at auto works very well. I think I can just leave it auto and not to worry about it most of the time. I also did some comparison with my Bose QC30, and was surprised that PI7 actually do better on noise cancelation. It was somewhat controlled environment using various ambient sound track from youtube, like cafe, street, flight etc. At auto mode, I think it's about the same as Bose at its max; then I switched to "non-auto" and it filters even more. This is going to be the headset I will bring for my next travel. Hopefully soon.

Good to hear. Done a similar test and for me it has 0 effect, but if it works for some I'm quite optimistic that we are talking about a bug that can and will be fixed - not that the ANC is almost useless.

I did wonder if it would have something to do with mics getting covered in the ear for some and not for others, but it doesn't matter for me how I twist and turn them. Also I am assuming the big grill on top is to capture outside noise - which is impossible to cover with anything while wearing them.

My experience is basically the same as mx's. It will remove some very specific low frequency sounds (I also tested it in a supermarket and the drone from refrigerators etc. is cancelled out, but absolutely nothing else. Speech etc. is just as if there wasn't any ANC).

May 7, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #55 of 1,155
Connecting to the case through the jack I get aptX-LL. Which makes sense as it is developed to use for in-flight entertainment. But connecting with the USB-C I thought the case would be aptX-HD and not just aptX? I also got a Fiio M6 which will connect to the buds with aptX-HD, but it won't play - it just says "no media". Now I wouldn't know if that is because of some issue with the M6 or the buds, but if it is supposed to be aptX-HD through the case then I can probably say the issue is with the buds and not the M6.

May 7, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #56 of 1,155
Connecting to the case through the jack I get aptX-LL. Which makes sense as it is developed to use for in-flight entertainment. But connecting with the USB-C I thought the case would be aptX-HD and not just aptX? I also got a Fiio M6 which will connect to the buds with aptX-HD, but it won't play - it just says "no media". Now I wouldn't know if that is because of some issue with the M6 or the buds, but if it is supposed to be aptX-HD through the case then I can probably say the issue is with the buds and not the M6.
Interesting; I'm trying to get them to connect to my M11 Pro, but no luck either. I can get them to connect, but no sound is played.

May 7, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #58 of 1,155
Have you tried to change to aptX (no hd)?

It works fine with regular aptX for me (and the M6 or the case for that matter using USB-C).
So I checked again, set codec to aptX and it works. If I try aptX-HD again, it keeps reconnecting and no sound is played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back