Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 3, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #32 of 1,155
Because it's my only current point of reference that's close enough to be worth comparing and if someone else has the IE 300 it may give them a point of comparison. If the Pi7 were 80% as good as the IE 300 I would have kept them for the convenience. They were far enough apart that I will continue to deal with the BTR5 and wires for now until something better comes along.

Btw I did find the noise cancellation impressive on the Pi7. Seemed at least as good as the WF-1000XM3 from what I remember but maybe a bit worse than my WH1000XM4 (I didn't compare them side-by-side)I

I found the comparison really handy, I like seeing even disparate gear compred to see if its worth the sacrifice. E.g. open back vs bluetooth wireless etc.

Not super suprised to see you prefer the senns. Could also just be sound sig, I really didnt like sennheisers tws i tried (momentums).

May 3, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #33 of 1,155
Is there a TWS currently comparable to the Sennheiser IE300 then? I'm looking for one, since these PI7s seem to have a few hiccups. Are the Noble Falcon Pros comparable? I know it is comparing an IEM against a TWS (which is what I'm looking for). Thanks.

May 3, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #34 of 1,155
My PI7 has arrived today! Even though the order status is still saying "Pick in progress", but this is a nice surprise.

Initial thoughts, quite an upgrade from B&O E8 gen3 in terms of features (ANC, more intelligent charging case, ability to switch between devices using the app etc). Not having the volume and pass-thru control on the earbud will take some time to get used to; especially pass-thru control, would be nice to let users to choose between ANC, pass-thru and assistant. I also noticed that they display the codec it's using in the app, a very nice touch. I thought it was picked up on the app update, unfortunately I still don't get this info on the PX7. Sound signature is very similar to the PX7, which I really enjoy, sound stage is not as wide of course but acceptable for earbuds. ANC didn't impact the sound quality much, but I ran into a bug where turning on ANC with pass-thru already turned on, bass become so boomy that hurts my ears. In terms of comfort, they sit well and snug. I like the way they design it so it sits on the antitragus (I actually had to look up that part of the ear...), and doesn't fall off easily.

Definitely keeping it and looking to sell my E8, I think hardware wise it's as close as what I want, and those minor issues can likely be fixed by software update.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #35 of 1,155
My PI7 has arrived today! Even though the order status is still saying "Pick in progress", but this is a nice surprise.

Initial thoughts, quite an upgrade from B&O E8 gen3 in terms of features (ANC, more intelligent charging case, ability to switch between devices using the app etc). Not having the volume and pass-thru control on the earbud will take some time to get used to; especially pass-thru control, would be nice to let users to choose between ANC, pass-thru and assistant. I also noticed that they display the codec it's using in the app, a very nice touch. I thought it was picked up on the app update, unfortunately I still don't get this info on the PX7. Sound signature is very similar to the PX7, which I really enjoy, sound stage is not as wide of course. ANC didn't impact the sound quality much, but I ran into a bug where turning on ANC with pass-thru already turned on, bass become so boomy that hurts my ears. In terms of comfort, they sit well and snug. I like the way they design it so it sits on the antitragus (I actually had to look up that part of the ear...), and doesn't fall off easily.

Definitely keeping it and looking to sell my E8, I think hardware wise it's as close as what I want, and those minor issues can likely be fixed by software update.

Yup, that ANC with Pass-thru bug is annoying. You can avoid it by turning off pass-thru before putting the PI7 away. I would love future updates to let you map the buttons, since I don't need playback control on both, and would rather have volume on one side.

May 3, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #36 of 1,155
For people who have this brand, how are they with fixing the updates? Thanks. I’m interested in getting it, but if they don’t fix the problems, then it won’t be good.

May 3, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #37 of 1,155
Of course. I didn't expect it to be as good but I also didn't expect it to be as far off as it was. I think TWS will get "there" and be in-line with wired IEM's eventually. I just set my expectations too high for the current tech available and the price point.
You’re not feeding the Pi7’s the quality they need to shine. Wireless from an iPhone means 256k AAC. How can that compete with wired IEM’s, even ones as sloppy as the IE300? Drive them through a decent player that supports AptX Adaptive and you’d hear a huge difference. I’m very happy with them connected to my Hiby R6 2020 and Qobuz. You maybe sent back to quickly before giving them a chance......

May 3, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #38 of 1,155
You’re not feeding the Pi7’s the quality they need to shine. Wireless from an iPhone means 256k AAC. How can that compete with wired IEM’s, even ones as sloppy as the IE300? Drive them through a decent player that supports AptX Adaptive and you’d hear a huge difference. I’m very happy with them connected to my Hiby R6 2020 and Qobuz. You maybe sent back to quickly before giving them a chance......
I think that would defeat the purpose of them for me (the convenience of TWS). The IE 300 driven by my iPhone (again apples and oranges) sounds incredible. Adding in a separate player and different program/files/expense wouldn't make sense for my use. My iPhone connected directly sounds excellent with the IE 300 with Spotify (which I love) and also with the BTR5 wirelessly as needed. And with an adapter Spotify on my iPhone works equally well with my Honey H1 powering my Focal Elegias and Gold Planar GL2000's. I can't imagine better files would make enough of a difference in sound signature to warrant keeping for my preferences. I think the Pi7 were simply too neutral compared to the other headphones I enjoy (warmer, bassier).

May 3, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #39 of 1,155
For people who have this brand, how are they with fixing the updates? Thanks. I’m interested in getting it, but if they don’t fix the problems, then it won’t be good.
Based on my experience with the PX, they were very good at that. It didn't take them long to fix several bugs and some features based on customer feedback.

May 3, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #40 of 1,155
Based on my experience with the PX, they were very good at that. It didn't take them long to fix several bugs and some features based on customer feedback.
Thank you! That’s what I wanted to hear. It was hard to find an existing user who went through the bug fixes. What do you think of the PI7? Is it as good as they say? I’m coming from a Periodic Audio Beryllium and RHA Dacamp. I know those are considered IEMs, but is this comparable? I need a good TWS to use for work and ANC for kids. Haha. For the TWS, I’m coming from an original Airpods, so these should be an upgrade.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #41 of 1,155
Picked up a pair of PI7's today, as I was intrigued that this might finally be the TWS that combines decent design, features and sound quality.
Still testing, but fir impressions are that the supplied tips are crap. They have some damping material in the nozzle which to me totally eliminates the BA driver in there. Put on some SpinFits and immediately got a better and more open sound.

Regards

May 6, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #42 of 1,155
Picked up a pair of PI7's today, as I was intrigued that this might finally be the TWS that combines decent design, features and sound quality.
Still testing, but fir impressions are that the supplied tips are crap. They have some damping material in the nozzle which to me totally eliminates the BA driver in there. Put on some SpinFits and immediately got a better and more open sound.

Regards
Sounds like typical B&W tuning. In my experience they tend to have a warmer sound. Nice to have some optionality since the filter is in the tips and not the nozzles. Some seem to like the stock tips so it really is a matter of preference in my opinion, not necessarily one being better than the other.

Curious to see if you have any dropout issues that others have reported.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #43 of 1,155

Regards
worth the price?

May 6, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #44 of 1,155
Thank you! That’s what I wanted to hear. It was hard to find an existing user who went through the bug fixes. What do you think of the PI7? Is it as good as they say? I’m coming from a Periodic Audio Beryllium and RHA Dacamp. I know those are considered IEMs, but is this comparable? I need a good TWS to use for work and ANC for kids. Haha. For the TWS, I’m coming from an original Airpods, so these should be an upgrade.
I really like it so far, see my initial thoughts on the PI7 at post #34.

One additional note after couple of days of using, ANC at auto works very well. I think I can just leave it auto and not to worry about it most of the time. I also did some comparison with my Bose QC30, and was surprised that PI7 actually do better on noise cancelation. It was somewhat controlled environment using various ambient sound track from youtube, like cafe, street, flight etc. At auto mode, I think it's about the same as Bose at its max; then I switched to "non-auto" and it filters even more. This is going to be the headset I will bring for my next travel. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #45 of 1,155
Sounds like typical B&W tuning. In my experience they tend to have a warmer sound. Nice to have some optionality since the filter is in the tips and not the nozzles. Some seem to like the stock tips so it really is a matter of preference in my opinion, not necessarily one being better than the other.

Curious to see if you have any dropout issues that others have reported.
I agree that it is very subjective, but I personally like the sound better with SpinFits due to the more open character. Let me put it like this: with stock tips they remind me of the PX7, with the SpinFits they remind me of the P7W. And I'm a P7W guy :wink:

worth the price?
Difficult to say. I do hear some popping every now and then, and the wear sensor is a bit finnicky (I was tip rolling though, that might've tripped that). Sound-wise, I have no problem with the price point actually. And the features to back-up the price are there, they're just not implemented 'polished' enough (if that makes sense).

But I will need more time with them to make a fair judgement, these are all first impressions still :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back