Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #1,606 of 1,955
Hey all,

I'm not about to read 107 pages trying to look for what I'm looking for, so here's my overall question:

What's the sound differences between P7 wired, P7 Wireless, and P7 Wireless in wired mode?

I'm wondering because I tried the P7 wired and liked it a lot, but I thought comfort wasn't great and the sound could be a little bit more exciting. They sound great but could use some more dynamic punch, specifically in the lower frequencies.

I plan on getting the P7 Wireless but I plan on using them in wired mode 90% of the time. How is the P7 Wireless sound in wired mode compared to P7 Wired sound? Is the comfort much different? From what I understand the Wireless uses memory foam in the pads and the Wired does not.

Many people consider the P7 Wireless a basshead headphone and say that the bass bleeds into the mids compared to the Wired version. Is the P7 Wireless still the same bassy headphone as when it is used in wired mode?

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #1,607 of 1,955
Hey all,

I'm not about to read 107 pages trying to look for what I'm looking for, so here's my overall question:

What's the sound differences between P7 wired, P7 Wireless, and P7 Wireless in wired mode?

I'm wondering because I tried the P7 wired and liked it a lot, but I thought comfort wasn't great and the sound could be a little bit more exciting. They sound great but could use some more dynamic punch, specifically in the lower frequencies.

I plan on getting the P7 Wireless but I plan on using them in wired mode 90% of the time. How is the P7 Wireless sound in wired mode compared to P7 Wired sound? Is the comfort much different? From what I understand the Wireless uses memory foam in the pads and the Wired does not.

Many people consider the P7 Wireless a basshead headphone and say that the bass bleeds into the mids compared to the Wired version. Is the P7 Wireless still the same bassy headphone as when it is used in wired mode?

Thanks.
Hi Trevin, so i own a P7 Wired, i've tried my friends wireless verison for about a week, and did some comparing.
First off, i will say for some reason the newer wireless model must have had something changed internally because they sound a bit closer than normal.
The weight of the wireless is also a lot more noticible, the pads are almost same despite it being different stuffing and headband sore spot discomfort is still there after a few hours of use.

when you "wire" the wireless headphones, they dont change much. you can tell its got a bit more "oomph" maybe 25% more fullness than when its in wireless mode im assuming that has to do with source signal.
aside from that they're pretty good, battery life isnt super great compared to other wireless headphones ive tried. i'm getting a tiny bit less than others ive tried.
in public, it lets noise in and doesnt give a great seal. (i tried riding bus, underground train, mall, main city street, starbucks and at work in the office.
i did notice some signal dipping while in certain areas in downtown. i was using my phone (Samsung Note 9) and my DAP (FiiO X5 Gen 3). but it wasnt often.

bottom line(and this is 100% my opinion). if you're gonna use them wired get the wired version and save your money. because the sound is pretty much the same. build and comfort are pretty much the same except for the pads however to me they felt the same on the head after hours of use.

if you have questions, post here or send me a PM. i'd be glad to answer anything :)

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #1,608 of 1,955
Hi Trevin, so i own a P7 Wired, i've tried my friends wireless verison for about a week, and did some comparing.
First off, i will say for some reason the newer wireless model must have had something changed internally because they sound a bit closer than normal.
The weight of the wireless is also a lot more noticible, the pads are almost same despite it being different stuffing and headband sore spot discomfort is still there after a few hours of use.

when you "wire" the wireless headphones, they dont change much. you can tell its got a bit more "oomph" maybe 25% more fullness than when its in wireless mode im assuming that has to do with source signal.
aside from that they're pretty good, battery life isnt super great compared to other wireless headphones ive tried. i'm getting a tiny bit less than others ive tried.
in public, it lets noise in and doesnt give a great seal. (i tried riding bus, underground train, mall, main city street, starbucks and at work in the office.
i did notice some signal dipping while in certain areas in downtown. i was using my phone (Samsung Note 9) and my DAP (FiiO X5 Gen 3). but it wasnt often.

bottom line(and this is 100% my opinion). if you're gonna use them wired get the wired version and save your money. because the sound is pretty much the same. build and comfort are pretty much the same except for the pads however to me they felt the same on the head after hours of use.

if you have questions, post here or send me a PM. i'd be glad to answer anything :)

How does the H6 gen 2 compare to the P7, and which do you like more?

I'm afraid H6 will be too boring and mellow, I'm coming from Oppo PM-3 and I want a headphone that isn't so lifeless.

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #1,609 of 1,955
How does the H6 gen 2 compare to the P7, and which do you like more?

I'm afraid H6 will be too boring and mellow, I'm coming from Oppo PM-3 and I want a headphone that isn't so lifeless.
im terms of comfort, the H6 Gen 2 is 10x better imo. softer ear pads, light, no pressure spots on the head. sound is pleasant. its more smooth and fun.
while the P7 i find has a wider sound stage it feels a bit flat at the midrange compared to the H6. the H6 has more midrange detail but! its a little less bright at the tops than the P7. the P7 also has a bit more low end thump.

I tried the H9i and they were better than the H6 Gen 2, however the price... i think when my H6 gen 2 gives out or falls apart i'll get the H9i or whatever new iteration that B&O have for that bracket. however, both H6 and P7 are made EXTREMELY well, and the durability is incredible on both. i use the H6 as my daily drivers outside home while on public transit and at work. the P7 i rarely take outside the house because a) its got worse passive sound isolation, b) not as comfortable, c) heavier, d) has more leather and shiney metal and i'd prefer not to get it scuffed or marked in my bag or fall off my head. the H6 sits more snugly i find.

If i could suggest, i'd go to a local hifi store, and try a pair of H6 2nd gen, P7 wired/wireless and if your budget can allow, the H9i and see how they fit and feel.
The H9i have USB-C to charge the battery, the battery can be swapped for another should the lifespan of the battery degrade and it has a 3.5mm jack so its the best of all worlds. also, it has hand gesture controls on the cup, and when you take them off they pause your music. so thats pretty neat.

I've tried the Bower and Wilkins P9 for a week also at the request of a friend, and the reason i didnt buy them is because they sound "almost" identical to my P7. the only slight difference is they have more detailed bass and a better low end. and the comfort is better, thats it. no other improvements that ive personally seen while using it on my equipment. so i wouldnt suggest the P9, its over priced for nothing.

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,610 of 1,955
Hello guys,

I love my P7 Wireless headphone's sound signature, which is really lively and joyful instead of being more balanced as PX series. I bought a pair of PX but returned since I never like their sound which was so boring and boxed vs P7W's. I'm not a bass head, but still love a small amount of V shaped sound signature that I found in P7W.

But since I need ANC for commuting and flights, I'm again in the marker and reading about Sony WH1000XM3 which is being praised by "lively" sound signature lovers. In my country I couldn't find a shop that i can try them, all have boxed only :/ Can anyone here compare them with our lovely P7W's? I want to know how you can compare them in terms of sound quality and sound signature wise.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #1,611 of 1,955
The Sony's are similiar to Beats when it comes to bass. It's very overpowering and not precise. It can be dialed down in the app but it's always much looser than bass on the P7W.
Highs are also better on the P7W. Mids are better on the Sonys.

If you are happy with the way your P7W sounds then keep it, they are better headphones. If you need something with ANC then go for the Sonys.

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,613 of 1,955
Yes, I would also agree that the Sony xM3 is the way to go. I owned, and loved the P7 wireless, and the PX, but sold it due to comfort issues (the PX). I love the xM3, now my favourite BT headphone. In my opinion you must EQ down the bass, but once you do they sound bloody brilliant. The treble is fabulous in particular, but everything I feel is very well done. Left with the stock sound signature, the Sony is definitely boomy and obscures the true capability. I use the equalizer within Onkyo HF Player on my phone to attenuate 190Hz down by about -4db, around 125Hz down by about -3db and around 60Hz down by about -1.5db. Those are approximates, but essentially cleaning up those frequencies results in a significant improvement. Frankly before having done so I was going to return the xM3 feeling they were far too bass centric for me, just muddy and unengaging. I am very glad that I tried the EQ as that made all the difference. I suspect the P7 wireless may also benefit for those that find the bass bloated. Either way, if you don't need ANC and the price is good, the P7W is still a player, but I personally feel the Sony beats it across the board, but it is I believe more expensive. I don't know what the P7W goes for these days, but I paid full retail for mine probably close to three years ago if not a little more.

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,614 of 1,955
Danish Hi-Fi Klubben is currently selling the P7 wireless for about $250 so I’m actually tempted to buy a pair again because they stopped selling them when the PX model was introduced. But either they bought some leftover stock or B&W is still manufacturing the headset.

The P7 wireless was the first set that got me interested in high quality sound and music - so they are quite special and I’ve regretted selling them many times.

I’m excited that’s next to come from B&W - isn’t it long since they released a new product?

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,615 of 1,955
Thank you all guys for your responses! I really appreciated!

@Sonic Defender,
If Sony App gives same result, then I would really use it as a global tuning that all applications can take advantage of. Did you also tried the EQ on Sony App. Does it give same good sound as you get with Onkyo HF Player's EQ?

Yes, I would also agree that the Sony xM3 is the way to go. I owned, and loved the P7 wireless, and the PX, but sold it due to comfort issues (the PX). I love the xM3, now my favourite BT headphone. In my opinion you must EQ down the bass, but once you do they sound bloody brilliant. The treble is fabulous in particular, but everything I feel is very well done. Left with the stock sound signature, the Sony is definitely boomy and obscures the true capability. I use the equalizer within Onkyo HF Player on my phone to attenuate 190Hz down by about -4db, around 125Hz down by about -3db and around 60Hz down by about -1.5db. Those are approximates, but essentially cleaning up those frequencies results in a significant improvement. Frankly before having done so I was going to return the xM3 feeling they were far too bass centric for me, just muddy and unengaging. I am very glad that I tried the EQ as that made all the difference. I suspect the P7 wireless may also benefit for those that find the bass bloated. Either way, if you don't need ANC and the price is good, the P7W is still a player, but I personally feel the Sony beats it across the board, but it is I believe more expensive. I don't know what the P7W goes for these days, but I paid full retail for mine probably close to three years ago if not a little more.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,616 of 1,955
Danish Hi-Fi Klubben is currently selling the P7 wireless for about $250 so I’m actually tempted to buy a pair again because they stopped selling them when the PX model was introduced. But either they bought some leftover stock or B&W is still manufacturing the headset.

The P7 wireless was the first set that got me interested in high quality sound and music - so they are quite special and I’ve regretted selling them many times.

I’m excited that’s next to come from B&W - isn’t it long since they released a new product?
Yes, the P7W is a great sounding headphone, and I also look forward to what B&W do next. They simply have to get comfort to the stage that companies like Sony have managed. The PX was dreadfully uncomfortable and broke my heart as I very much did like it.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,617 of 1,955
Thank you all guys for your responses! I really appreciated!

@Sonic Defender,
If Sony App gives same result, then I would really use it as a global tuning that all applications can take advantage of. Did you also tried the EQ on Sony App. Does it give same good sound as you get with Onkyo HF Player's EQ?
I don't think the EQ in the Sony app is anywhere near as capable as the one built into the Onkyo player. If you are able to use the Onkyo player even though it isn't universally available to applications, I think it is worth it, plus it is free. Not all EQ architectures are equal and the Onkyo EQ seems quite good. I disable any Sony sound enhancements and just use the EQ in HF Player to tailor the sound. For me it is worth it and I only use the xM3 for music and given that HF Player is also a really well done and easy to use player with all the features that I need, I am quite happy with it. I love Neutron, which I also own, but since moving to HF Player about 3 years back I think I have not used Neutron once. I find Neutron needlessly complex, at least for my rather modest mobile music needs. Cheers.

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #1,618 of 1,955
I don't think the EQ in the Sony app is anywhere near as capable as the one built into the Onkyo player. If you are able to use the Onkyo player even though it isn't universally available to applications, I think it is worth it, plus it is free. Not all EQ architectures are equal and the Onkyo EQ seems quite good. I disable any Sony sound enhancements and just use the EQ in HF Player to tailor the sound. For me it is worth it and I only use the xM3 for music and given that HF Player is also a really well done and easy to use player with all the features that I need, I am quite happy with it. I love Neutron, which I also own, but since moving to HF Player about 3 years back I think I have not used Neutron once. I find Neutron needlessly complex, at least for my rather modest mobile music needs. Cheers.

But I'll still need a global EQ for streaming like Tidal Lossless which I use so often. I would really appriciate if you could try Sony EQ it for me :) If no, still np. Thanks anyway for sharing your experiences which helped me so much! I'm on the edge for ordering a pair of Sony cans.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,619 of 1,955
But I'll still need a global EQ for streaming like Tidal Lossless which I use so often. I would really appriciate if you could try Sony EQ it for me :) If no, still np. Thanks anyway for sharing your experiences which helped me so much! I'm on the edge for ordering a pair of Sony cans.
Hi, I may not get a chance for a while. If you use Android I believe people really like Viper for Android and if I recall it provides a global EQ.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,620 of 1,955
I've been using these around 3 months now, so my opinions are pretty settled now. I think these are honestly brilliant headphones. They don't perhaps sound neutral but they have an extremely endearing, lively, energetic sound to them. I would go so far as to say I enjoy these as much as my fully amped and EQ'd up DT990 Premiums, they don't sound the same, and the Beyers are better in some areas (mainly openness, obviously), but I would actually say the bass on the P7W stomps all over the Beyers and would have to say I enjoy these every bit as much. They sound particularly good from a Win10 laptop running an AptX bluetooth driver but they sound more or less equally excellent out of my Pixel 2 XL. I've used with an iPad and have to say it didn't sound quite as good to me as the laptop and 2XL. If you can get a good deal then go for it - I paid £230 for these. Very happy. Only drawback for me is the passive noise cancellation probably isn't as good as ANC but then neither can it affect the sound which is a plus. I've even got used to the comfort, I don't actually find it too bad but obviously YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back