Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #886 of 1,955
I bought these back in September on Amazon pre-order, and received them on September 16th, 2016. As such, I've had a lot of time with them. I noticed a number of people commenting on the "noise" issue with these today when I googled this issue again (see below). That noise issue bothered me enough to report it to B&W, and I wanted to share with the forum my experience (very positive so far)

I found two problems:

1) When you turn the headphone on and it connects to Bluetooth, you hear nothing. But when I would open a music service or app (like Spotify, for example) on a device or get to the point where you are going to "play music" (if that makes any sense), a very perceptible hissing noise would occur. It sounded very similar (but louder) to what I perceive on my noise cancelling travel/flying/ much lesser sound quality headphones (Bose QC 35) . It would mostly disappear when I started to listen to music, but it was still perceptible at low volumes. This seemed unusual to me, especially because when I listened to the headphones corded, there was no sign of it at all. That to me meant it may have something to do with the Bluetooth/electronics in the device. As a headphone which marketed both it's sound quality and superior Bluetooth quality, I found this disappointing. I also noted that listening to the headphones wireless vs. wired, there was definitely some amplification of the signal on wireless mode; much louder at the same setting on my device. (I think this is normal, but pardon my electronics ignorance)

2) The other problem I noticed was volume control issues; namely, when listening wireless in a quiet room on an IOS mobile device (such as Ipod, Iphone, Ipad etc), I could only turn the volume down to "3" on a scale of 10. ( or 11 for Nigel Tufnel fans). After that, the sound simply cut out. As such, it always seemed too loud while listening in a quiet room, to the point that it was bothering me. When I tried this with the headphones "wired", it was no problem at all; I could easily get the headphones down to "1-2" and listen comfortably. It was sort of dumb luck I discovered this; I happened to be at home, it was late and my wife was sleeping, so I had the headphones at a low level. 

At first, I suspected that possibly this was intentional; that you could only listen so "quietly" while on wireless mode to help mask that "hissing" noise. However, that hissing noise will show up even when no music is playing at all (as noted above) so that didn't make sense. When I googled various forums at that time back in October, I could find no one reporting this, so I wanted to make B&W aware of the problem. In the past when I had issues with a B&W Zeppelin, their customer service was excellent and went above and beyond, so I figured, why not. 

I reported this to B&W on October 28th. They responded back on November 8th, "that they are currently looking into this matter and are trying to replicate the issue." With the holidays and everything, I sort of lost track of it, which prompted me to reach out to them again yesterday. They responded within 24 hours with the following:

"Thank you for your email regarding the B&W P7 wireless. Currently, I cannot comment on the release of the fix; however, we plan on having a fix for your issue very soon."

So for those of you perceiving the hissing, you are indeed not crazy! haha. It appears B&W has identified an issue and is working on a fix which will hopefully be out soon. I will update this forum when I hear more. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #887 of 1,955

"Thank you for your email regarding the B&W P7 wireless. Currently, I cannot comment on the release of the fix; however, we plan on having a fix for your issue very soon."

Good to know I'm not the only one bothered by this. I love the headphones more and more but the hissing just bothers me more and more :frowning2:

That reply is interesting. I wrote them yesterday and got this reply:

"
Dear Jan,

Thank you for your email below.

Unfortunately all electronic devices will produce an element of white noise when powered on. This is normally of a very low volume and would not be noticeable when an audio output is present, for example you may hear a click when a track is paused and then play starts.

If you are experiencing a louder noticeable hissing noise, then the headphones may be faulty.

On this occasion we would recommend that you visit your nearest Boers & Wilkins dealership to make a comparison with another new pair to see if it is an issue with the headphones themselves.
 "

So.. yeah. You be the judge on how seriously they are taking this issue. I don't expect anything. Maybe they can tune some sort of gain in firmware (or make it dynamic depending on volume) but I doubt they'll be able to do that. And I don't believe they would redesign electronics and let the service centre swap them. Maaaaybe they will make a MkII. version with improved DAC, but I wouldn't even bet on that, as many people are apparently blissfully ignorant of the issue, don't care or don't hear it... or maybe it differs so greatly between different pairs? Hmm...

It would be cool if I could pop into a B&W dealership, but I'm pretty sure the nearestone  is in the UK, definitely no seller here will open one for me to test but I'll try givint the service centre a call.

So my options are to
1) suck it up and pray it gets fixed
2) get it into repair (but the service centre here is just that - a service centre that does repair for several manufacturers)
3) return it, get a new piece, hope it's better - I hate doing this as I don't feel it's fair to the seller, though, no matter how big

Those are not cheap, but still not $3000 headphones, more posh than high-end, so I'm really sceptical about this.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #888 of 1,955
I think the only thing they can do is reduce power management.

The noise is highlighted by the fact that the amp turns on and off regularly depending on whether sound is detected as coming through or not.  Even the absolute quietest headphone amps make a little noise when they turn on.  Sometimes I hear it click on and off repeatedly when a song is slow to load.  I bet that if they dropped this function barely anyone would notice the RF noise caused by the DAC, amp and one speaker being locked in an embrace with a radio transceiver.

These phones are hella sensitive.  I can listen through bluetooth up to 5 on iOS no problem, even a little louder, if I want a concert experience.  It is totally listenable down to 1, if  things are quiet.  Through the mojo, I usually have the thing close to turned off.  One red and one white ball.  Max I ever get is double red.  These things make my Grados look downright insensitive by comparison.  :)

It definitely sounds like some of you have a different experience over bluetooth and should probably keep an eye on things/make some comparisons with other sets.

You should not have any sound leakage on the P7s.  I don't at any of the volumes I listen. (different shaped heads?)  The p9s are a partially open design and you can expect some leakage with them.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #889 of 1,955
I fully expected minor pops/clicks/hiss with wireless headphones in 2017. I don't find this obtrusive with the P7 at all. Someday wireless headphones will sound just as good as wired headphones without any annoying artifacts and batteries that go for weeks. That day has not yet arrived.

Wireless range of the P7 is fantastic and the Bluetooth connection is rock solid. Sound quality is phenomenal. Are they perfect? No. I wish they had a user-replaceable battery and I wish the top of the headband didn't start to hurt my skull after a period of time (they really need to make it wider).

BUT I don't feel compelled to return them, because what would I replace them with? The B&O H7 would probably give me better comfort and the swappable battery, but lesser sound quality. And ultimately, sound quality is my top priority. I'll deal with the other imperfections to get it.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #890 of 1,955
You have  a P7 then? Or P7 Wireless?

I can hear the white noise on the lower volumes even if something is playing. It's a bit like ANC noise but that at least has it's purpose.

You are right, all amps make noise, and most soundcards employ the same technique the DAC in the headphones does - they switch of when nothing is playing. I also get a pop on my phone or Macbook, but it's _much_ quieter and you really have to be listening for it to hear it.
And when it's not switched off, there's white noise. But just with like the pop it can be barely heard.

Re: sound leakage - maybe the cups need to be broken in a bit, but it's almost like having semi-closed headphones. I don't think they made them "closed" by "sound design", more like "by design" :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #891 of 1,955
You'll get mad of B&O H7 bluetooth "interference rattle" in left earcup if you hear white noise in P7, take a look at H7 thread. Also, I found headband hurting my skull on H7 as well, it's even narrower than P7's.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #892 of 1,955
Hello everyone, I read all 60 pages! right now I have 3 headphones to evaluate and I must return them Monday: beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 16 ohms - bose qc35 - b & w p7 wireless ... I also oppo pm-3 for about a year, but these are too boring! (Although very detailed), I also tried the m2 over ear. then: I love the sound with a large soundstage, bass and treble that excite that sculpt the sound, medium to support the scene, slightly behind for a spacious sound, all with an emphasis like in the cinema. In fact, with headphones listening to music and watch movies. the p7w represent the balance of what I try but are held back because the battery does not removobile not know if b & w replaces it and at what price, is like dress, a little 'more uncomfortable, the qc35 as they are less detailed than p7 are very comfortable and total return in user experience nearly the equal of p7, even in this case the battery is not replaceable and service bose has virtually told me that headphones are "disposable" because more than changing the battery, change all headphone for 200 € !!!! . the dt 770 pro virtually have not the average but they are very comfortable and attractive at a price that is half, and have a 3 meter long cable which make non-portable indeed! The drawback, however, does not have the battery .... what do you advise me to keep? dt 770 pro 16 ohms - qc35 - p7w? because? help me !!!!!

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #893 of 1,955

Those are three very different headphones.  Good luck only keeping one!

My advice is to keep the p7W since they have the sound you like and that is what is most important.  I think the battery will be fine for quite a while and when it ultimately dies they become p7 wired headphones and you are in the same camp as if you kept the dt770s but you like the sound better.  If the p7Ws stay a key player in your lineup up until the point the battery finally gives up on you, I'd say that they were worth every one of the 40,000 pennies you spent on them, but that is just how I think.

Of course, this is the p7 wireless thread, so my advice is rather predictable.  
gs1000.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #894 of 1,955
Those are three very different headphones.  Good luck only keeping one!

My advice is to keep the p7W since they have the sound you like and that is what is most important.  I think the battery will be fine for quite a while and when it ultimately dies they become p7 wired headphones and you are in the same camp as if you kept the dt770s but you like the sound better.  If the p7Ws stay a key player in your lineup up until the point the battery finally gives up on you, I'd say that they were worth every one of the 40,000 pennies you spent on them, but that is just how I think.

Of course, this is the p7 wireless thread, so my advice is rather predictable.  :gs1000smile:  

Thank you for the reply! in fact those who have told me, is what I think! I believe that on Monday and I will give back qc35 made Amazon for dt770pro, I will begin to enjoy these p7w and then we'll see. p7 represents the sublime sound quality oppo pm-3 and the emphasis of the low dt 770 and bose together, a perfect mix. the last year I tried the wired p7, I had almost decided to keep them, then I saw excellent oppo reviews and I got them. I was disappointed, but the seller did not want made oppo ... and finally after a year meet again p7! qc35 remains a beautiful cap, comfortable, practice is fun. DT770 very convenient.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #895 of 1,955
Quote:

1) When you turn the headphone on and it connects to Bluetooth, you hear nothing. But when I would open a music service or app (like Spotify, for example) on a device or get to the point where you are going to "play music" (if that makes any sense), a very perceptible hissing noise would occur. It sounded very similar (but louder) to what I perceive on my noise cancelling travel/flying/ much lesser sound quality headphones (Bose QC 35) . It would mostly disappear when I started to listen to music, but it was still perceptible at low volumes. 

I have exactly the same problem. I've had mine for a couple of months now. The hissing noise (more like white noise to me) shows up in the exactly the same moment as you described which in my case is starting iTunes (Mac Pro). Once I start playing music I can't hear it anymore but probably not because it disappears but it's drawn out by music. It's not enough to bother me since I can't hear it while playing music but I do wonder if it does adversely affect the quality of music...

It would be great if B&W finds a fix for this.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #897 of 1,955
I caved and ordered some P7 Wireless.  Looking forward to doing a headphone shootout tomorrow. :)

P7 Wired
Denon MM400
Sony Z7 (actually these won't be in tomorrow because they are at my office)
B&W P9
Senn M2 Wireless
P7 Wireless

Then the sales will begin. :)

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #898 of 1,955
Who in the world decided that a wedge was a good shape to sit atop the head? I'd love to have a word with him/her.

Wedge? They have a flat wide surface that sits on your head, compared to Momentums or Panasonics it's wider and more comfy I think.
But yeah - they could make it even wider because when folded it's the cups that make it bulky rather than the headband, but it might have some reason.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #899 of 1,955
  I caved and ordered some P7 Wireless.  Looking forward to doing a headphone shootout tomorrow. :)

P7 Wired
Denon MM400
Sony Z7 (actually these won't be in tomorrow because they are at my office)
B&W P9
Senn M2 Wireless
P7 Wireless

Then the sales will begin. :)

How are the P9? I was seriously thinking about them, if only they had wireless (why don't they??).
I'm very interested in your thoughts on how they compare to the M2, and how the "hiss" compares to the M2 ANC noise.

To be frank, if there were _any_ other headphones that sounded as good as the P7 but didn't have that white noise, I'd get them rightaway even if they cost a limb. But there aren't any.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #900 of 1,955

How are the P9? I was seriously thinking about them, if only they had wireless (why don't they??).
I'm very interested in your thoughts on how they compare to the M2, and how the "hiss" compares to the M2 ANC noise.

To be frank, if there were _any_ other headphones that sounded as good as the P7 but didn't have that white noise, I'd get them rightaway even if they cost a limb. But there aren't any.

Battery and the technology takes up too much space. Once you take off the pads, the actual P9 earcups are incredibly thin. I have the P7W too but haven't listened to them much yet as I've been using the P9s but they are just incredible. Such a clean and detailed sound. The bass is definitely taken up a notch, but I actual really like it. Gives it the extra attack my old wired P7s lacked (imo). I'm not audiophile so that's the extent of my knowledge, sorry :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back