Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #511 of 1,955
P7 soundstage is not as cavernous feeling and big as d600 but the d600 also wasn't nearly as dynamic. the p7 uses the room it has much better and because so you will be entered into an attribute the d600 neglects you of; layering. Bottom end is more engaging and tighter. I found the d600 to be boring and it had ridiculously veiled highs. It's been a long time since I've heard them but the p7 will undoubtedly be a step up. I wanted to like the d600 because it had a bass boost, was a closed headphone and had good soundstage for being closed back and a chord with a mic on it so I could use it for gaming. With the P7 you'll get greater detail, the textures are smother, less papery and are more colorful and lifelike, you'll get your highs back and a MUCH more musical headphone in every aspect and type of music

Thank you for the comparison.  I had trouble tracking down a pair to demo, but I did have $91 in Crutchfield rewards, so they are on the way for $308 out of pocket.  I'll take some time to do some side-by-side with the D600s and RS1is in the quiet of my own home.  I'm really looking forward to it.  It would be nice to slim down to just two pairs, so if all goes well, maybe I'll put my D600s and a couple of pairs of shure IEMs on eBay after all is said and done.  May be tough to part with the Denons for $100 or $150 which is probably all I will get.

On the topic of MP3s/Spotify... I really don't think any headphone is technically too good for these files.  They should sound great on great headphones.  You may be able to squeeze more out with lossless and hi-res, but I don't see any reason why you'd have to use other headphones to listen to your CD-ish-quality tunes.  Besides, if you are using an iPhone, iPad or AppleTV and the convenience of bluetooth, you are maxing out at 256Kbps AAC.  Apple Music uses 256K AAC and Spotify uses 320Kbps of some codec.  In theory, these phones should be great with those files.  It is hyperbolic to think these will be a waste with anything less than lossless.  My hearing tests well, and I've done a lot of comparisons between 24/192 and 320Kbps through Mojo + RS1i.  I'm not convinced I enjoy the music any less when listening to 320s.  They are lively headphones and impress me with all sorts of music and files.  My humble opinion is that with files >= 320Kbps, headphones make a much bigger difference to the sound than going hi-res. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #512 of 1,955
This shows how nice the wired version of these sound, I was listening to these on the wireless p7, wired to the v10 in high gain. Sounds fantastic, and people who don't own these can hear for themselves what a great headphone these are.

https://youtu.be/gWnGG-Rd5r4

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #513 of 1,955
so I tested some more, 
I'm not sure if there is much of a difference in the sound tuning when using the p7 wireless in wired mode vs. wireless?
what do you think? 

So does someone have the oppo pm-3 and how they fare in terms of comfort vs. the p7?
The comfort is just okish for me here. Also I'm not sure if I would wear them outside.
Although I think the design looks classy It's a bit much bling bling for outside.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #514 of 1,955
  so I tested some more, 
I'm not sure if there is much of a difference in the sound tuning when using the p7 wireless in wired mode vs. wireless?
what do you think? 

So does someone have the oppo pm-3 and how they fare in terms of comfort vs. the p7?
The comfort is just okish for me here. Also I'm not sure if I would wear them outside.
Although I think the design looks classy It's a bit much bling bling for outside.

I think the PM3 is slightly more comfortable and less bling. The PM3 was my portable for about 6 months. I do where the P7 in public and I know what you mean about the bling factor. I do wish they were a little more reserved, but ultimately I don't find them so bling like that I can't wear them in public. I couldn't wear the NAD HP50 in public for instance, while it wasn't bling, it was large and odd looking so I felt too self-conscious, and while the sound was quite good, it was a tad laid back for me. I find the P7 a nice compromise between engaging and easy to listen to.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #515 of 1,955
Well I am sitting at home with the P7 wireless, Sony MX1000, and the new B&O H9. One of them will replace my lost pair of faithful ER4's which I had for more than 10 years. Other than airplane travel (not that frequent) I will not really use these cans much as I have a full blown Naim/Linn system which gets all of my attention.

I pretty much have made up my mind (and might post in several threads later) so here is one last question.

How many have really used the wireless P7's on an airplane flight? As great as they sound (and they really are the best of the bunch) they let everything in and I just cannot see them being usable on an airline flight?

My heart and ears want them however I just don't think they were made for airline travel.

Does someone know otherwise?

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #516 of 1,955
Well I am sitting at home with the P7 wireless, Sony MX1000, and the new B&O H9. One of them will replace my lost pair of faithful ER4's which I had for more than 10 years. Other than airplane travel (not that frequent) I will not really use these cans much as I have a full blown Naim/Linn system which gets all of my attention.

I pretty much have made up my mind (and might post in several threads later) so here is one last question.

How many have really used the wireless P7's on an airplane flight? As great as they sound (and they really are the best of the bunch) they let everything in and I just cannot see them being usable on an airline flight?

My heart and ears want them however I just don't think they were made for airline travel.

Honestly, I do not think they are suited for travel, on a train or a plane. They let so much noise and sound seep through the ear cups. The sound quality on the other side is marvelous. If your main goal for the P7's is for loud music, or movies at home or somewhere else where its quiet, then perfect. If you are a commuter on a subway or plan, NC is your go to headphone.
I just returned my P7's for the MDR1000x simply because I am more of a movie, tv show user on the subway going to work and back and although the quality on the P7 was amazing, I just got distracted from the outside noise.
That is just my opinion. The ANC is ridiculous on the Sony, that is for sure, the SQ is soso after using the P7 for a few days.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #517 of 1,955

I asked the same question before the answer is somewhere in this thread.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #518 of 1,955
The P7 cups only passively reduce noise and then only higher frequencies, most low frequency noise gets through with very little attenuation.
Which means that they will not be the answer for use on flights compared to an ANC set.
It's a personal decision and a trade off between top quality audio of the P7 v slightly less AQ with far less low freq noise...
After using the P7 at home for 6 weeks now I  am thinking that for use on a flight I would take my QC35's and accept the lower quality audio in exchange for the cocoon of silence from the ANC taking out 90% of the engine noise.
What we really need is for B & W to release a P7 with ANC but with no compromise on the audio quality :heart_eyes:
Actually I would take my QC30's, they have brilliant ANC and i personally prefer the audio quality to my QC35's (smoother top end) plus they are far easier to sleep with!

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #519 of 1,955
Well at least I am not crazy - three people have come to the same conclusion that I came to!  Such a shame as the P7 wireless are simply magnificent headphones.  They are voiced exactly like my big Naim/Linn rig (after all B&W are from the UK!) and excel in engaging musical toe tapping performance (or PRAT as we flat earth Naim users like to say).  They just simply have passive isolation which lets everything in.

I will say that the new B&O H9 could have been a contender  - they actually sound quite good.  The only problem - the noise cancellation does not work - it is virtually non existent.  Strange!  Then again I do not have the benefit of testing it on an airplane so I just might keep them until I take my next flight.

The Sony's?  I have to admit they are really not bad at all.  They are engaging and musical - and the Noise Cancellation is amazing - and I do not have the same pressure effect that the QC35's showed when I put them on at Best Buy.
I have a feeling the Sony's will be the keeper

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #520 of 1,955
As long as any ANC can be defeated, I agree, a P7 with ANC would be excellent for those who need it. I personally don't, but I would be willing to pay a little extra in case I ever did.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #521 of 1,955

I have a feeling the Sony's will be the keeper

Yes, those who need ANC seem to really dig the 1000X. Glad you found something that works well for you. I'm waiting for my Sony Z1R to arrive! Been waiting for over a month!

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #522 of 1,955
Yes - if B&W came out with noise cancelling wireless P7's I would be all in.

I do not believe that they do any NC models?

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #523 of 1,955
Yes, those who need ANC seem to really dig the 1000X. Glad you found something that works well for you. I'm waiting for my Sony Z1R to arrive! Been waiting for over a month!

I've tried both the PXC550 and the 1000X and while I kept the PXC I did not like the Sony at all: the headband stands out too much, the cups are not deep enough and the noise cancelling was unstable, giving me blows to my ears e.g. While walking and tying to cancel out noise made by my own steps. Sind quality left me totally unimpressed as well, so back they went. Found the PXC to be better in all these matters, but still prefer the sound of the Crossfade Wireless. Currently waiting for the P7 Wireless...

Yes - if B&W came out with noise cancelling wireless P7's I would be all in.

I do not believe that they do any NC models?

That would surprise me... it's not easy to build an effective ANC without stepping on Bose toes plus I think it's physically not possible to have effective ANC without negative effects to sound quality. Given B&Ws focus on the latter I don't think they will expand in that direction. Thankfully I don't travel by plane that often, so my main usage pattern does not make ANC paramount.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #524 of 1,955
Hi All,

Noob here!

Just got a pair of the P7 wireless cans. They sound good, that's for sure. I'm slightly concerned about the bass though, Its a little boomy/excessive.

Will the bass tighten up at all after a few hours usage? I have burn in file/mp3, maybe I should play that on them overnight?

The mids and highs are great, the headphones are almost perfect for me, except the bass :frowning2:

Thanks a mil!

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #525 of 1,955
Hi All,

Noob here!

Just got a pair of the P7 wireless cans. They sound good, that's for sure. I'm slightly concerned about the bass though, Its a little boomy/excessive.

Will the bass tighten up at all after a few hours usage? I have burn in file/mp3, maybe I should play that on them overnight?

The mids and highs are great, the headphones are almost perfect for me, except the bass :frowning2:

Thanks a mil!
Thats how teal bass sounds.☺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back