Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #481 of 1,955
I used these headphones so much I got tinnitus.

This is a pretty bad, I have a mild form of it as well, seems to be worse when I am tired or just waking up.

I think exposure to any loud noise for a period of time can damage your hearing, and cause tinnitus. Your best to have a good break between listening sessions, and what I do now is listen on very mild volumes. And if I do listen at loud volumes, it will be for short bursts only 2 songs, and back it off.
These p7 wireless, can reach damaging volumes, and must be used responsibly, it's not worth damaging your hearing, for a good time.

Another good thing to do is, when you want more volume try to turn it down instead, for a while, and then turn it back up to where it was after a few songs, it seems our ears get used the volume and we want more, this is how I deal with wanting more loudness now.
It beats blasting my hearing.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #482 of 1,955
  Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I'll find somewhere to audition them.  My normal haunt is not a B&W house, but I did get some B&W speakers at stereo exchange a decade ago.  They'll likely have them to listen to.  I see the normal P7s everywhere, but my understanding is that would not make a valid audition.

The one thing that really piqued my interest was the talk of separation between instruments/frequencies.  I think I know what you are talking about and that is not something I'm getting from the denons.  That leaves me thinking they'll probably give me the head space I'm looking for.

Nothing I have is neutral, so no worries there.

Yes, not neutral, but very musical and accurate enough to make you forgive where they deviate from pure neutrality/accuracy. The layering and separation is exceptional I find and as I mentioned previously I think that is why despite a bass emphasis the other frequencies do not sound like after-thoughts, instead the signature feels very integrated.

I will say that I do get that a bass emphasis can be fatiguing not unlike a treble emphasis so that is always worth considering. I say that as some modern bass-centric music can start to be fatiguing, but that is the music itself I believe and I think on any headphone the mix of such material will always be noticeable.

I would also suggest that people sometimes don't give enough credence to the fact that at times we are mentally fatigued already, or not, and this factors into how we perceive what we listen to. I don't know about you, but I don't feel equally receptive to music all the time. Sometimes I put music on and realize I'm just not in the mood, or I get tired of listening more quickly. If I'm in a non-receptive mood almost anything is less enjoyable to listen to.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #483 of 1,955
I think it will matter, it will depend on the design of the amp, I don't have any data on it so I can't comment any further.
My biggest concern about let's say leaving the headphone volume up high, and and then using the phones digital volume to control the volume, would be there potential for blow outs in the volume, and possibly damaging your hearing.(it's very easy to press that volume slider by accidentally, on a touch screen device)
you may have a point, but I don't think it has any bearing on battery life

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #485 of 1,955
I'm using Tidal HiFi for 2 monts. It's totally lossless, so greater than Spotify or any mp3. There are also some paid Windows aplications that directly records streaming to Flac files. So you can move that files between PC, tablet, phones without re-downloading. I tested best two of them and analysed Flac files captured by Spectro and they seems great. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #486 of 1,955
long shot, since they have such a small footprint here:  Has anyone compared to the Denon AH-D600?

I quite like the Denons but I'm over 4 years with them and wouldn't mind something new.  I'm very interested in wireless for convenience of switching between phones/laptops/ipads/apple tvs and regularly handling phone calls/hangouts.

Current use of the D600s:

- Shared daily driver duties with my RS1is.  In this scenario, I'm usually listening through a mojo or, in the case of vinyl, a bellari ha540.  I swap them in when my ears get tired from the grados or I want some auditory privacy.  I am pretty heavy on the R&B and EDM, so they fare well there as well with their substantial bottom end.  The RS1i is a tough phone for closed-backs to hang with, but the D600 does ok.  I like a good-sized soundstage.  There are some times when the highs/upper mids just don't work for me in the D600s--maybe poor recordings.  I listen to a lot of classic and indie rock as well as jazz and classical piano where I have a strong preference for the RS1s.

- Travel movies and music.  Though large, they work rather well.  They can be driven well with just about anything, so I don't always use my mojo.  This is where wireless and something foldable is very appealing.

- Auditory privacy while meditating or breathing.  Loosing the cable would be great here as well.

- Phone calls/hangouts when I can't stand to untangle my EarPods.  (if I don't follow through with the p7s, I'll likely get a pair of AirPods--meh)

What I'm looking for is a par of cans I can leave around my neck most of the day and use for various tasks from watching tv/gaming, listening to music or taking calls.  These are rather expensive, so I want them to be more than just adequate.  

My primary concerns for the p7s are around comfort, soundstage (not being open enough) and general call/bluetooth functionality.  I'm just a little concerned they won't be a significant step up from the D600s to my ears.  I'd like it to be very solid for this kind of cash or I may just wait to see if anyone will license the W1 chip for a great pair of headphones.  My current opinion of bluetooth is that it isn't great yet, but I'm not likely to buy Beats.

This is a great thread and you all really got me thinking about this pair.  It sounds like they are really easy to listen to, which is exactly what I want in this slot.  The RS1is are my favs, but I sometimes need something a little more relaxed when I'm GTD and not focused on music.
BTW guys, not enough is said here about that carrying case.  What were they thinking?  Looks like a handbag my wife would like.  :confused_face_2:    A little bummed that I'd have to insta-replace that thing.

P7 soundstage is not as cavernous feeling and big as d600 but the d600 also wasn't nearly as dynamic. the p7 uses the room it has much better and because so you will be entered into an attribute the d600 neglects you of; layering. Bottom end is more engaging and tighter. I found the d600 to be boring and it had ridiculously veiled highs. It's been a long time since I've heard them but the p7 will undoubtedly be a step up. I wanted to like the d600 because it had a bass boost, was a closed headphone and had good soundstage for being closed back and a chord with a mic on it so I could use it for gaming. With the P7 you'll get greater detail, the textures are smother, less papery and are more colorful and lifelike, you'll get your highs back and a MUCH more musical headphone in every aspect and type of music

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #487 of 1,955
has anyone used tidal hifi? I find the quality excellent compared to my music collection and Spotify. Currently using the trial though.

I used Tidal, and really there is no reason it should sound better or worse than your collection. Not sure what to say.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #489 of 1,955
Has anyone used the mdr 1000x prior to the p7? I am considering the switch. I find it very noisy on the subway with the p7.
I can sacrifice SQ for a quieter ride if possible. Any input?

From what I have read, the switch would work for you. The ANC on the 1000X is supposed to be best in class.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #492 of 1,955
Oh there's no question p7 has way better sound quality but when commuting listening to a movie the background noise is brutal.
I agree but with a good amp its perfect outdoors. I commute 3 hrs per day in Hong Kong. Its very loud and cramp around here. When I use say Mojo or Hugo I am hearing outside noise around me. Using a dap with a good portable anp the bass.punches a little harder and no outside noise leaking in. Now Im walking and listening almost like when Im at home.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #493 of 1,955
I agree but with a good amp its perfect outdoors. I commute 3 hrs per day in Hong Kong. Its very loud and cramp around here. When I use say Mojo or Hugo I am hearing outside noise around me. Using a dap with a good portable anp the bass.punches a little harder and no outside noise leaking in. Now Im walking and listening almost like when Im at home.

Yes. I definitely agree with louder music and background noise disappears but I wanted to save my ears and watch movies and TV shows which do not provide much volume. I guess that's why the background noise seeps in so easily.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #494 of 1,955
  From what I have read, the switch would work for you. The ANC on the 1000X is supposed to be best in class.

I used 100x for a month then sold it to buy P7 wireless. For me, 1000x fails in lows. It has great ANC, but sound quality of P7 Wireless is much better and fun. I prefer SQ over ANC, but if you would prefer ANC then you should go with 1000x.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #495 of 1,955
Yes. I definitely agree with louder music and background noise disappears but I wanted to save my ears and watch movies and TV shows which do not provide much volume. I guess that's why the background noise seeps in so easily.
I dont want to say louder. With the mojo I had it louder trying to get some bass. It was mostly mids and treble and the bass sounded across the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back