Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #467 of 1,955
I am not sure what combo you are using.

but for IOS, the volume of the headphone and phone is linked.

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #468 of 1,955
I've found this tool for wireless PC usage with Apt-X . It can be used as both transmitter ( PC + Rii Geartist --> P7 Wireless) and receiver (ie phone --> AV Receiver + Rii Geartist ) . Price is very nice for this type of gadget. I'm planning to buy this :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geartist-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphones/dp/B0132J36C4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#Ask

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #469 of 1,955
Question for the p7 owners, volume maxed out on headset or phone? Or half and half? What is the best route to take here?

I believe, your best option here is to keep the digital volume the phone maxed out nearly, I keep mine at about one notch before full. This way you won't have the amplifier wasting to much battery or, stressing the amplifier.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #470 of 1,955
I believe, your best option here is to keep the digital volume the phone maxed out nearly, I keep mine at about one notch before full. This way you won't have the amplifier wasting to much battery or, stressing the amplifier.
I don't think it matters. Whatever volume you hear from the headphones will eat the same battery life whether the phone volume is turned down/up in relation to the headphone volume. That is, the battery use will be the same if the phone volume is down and the headphone volume is up as if the phone volume is up and the headphone volume is down provided what is heard is the same level. Hope I've explained that clearly.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #471 of 1,955
long shot, since they have such a small footprint here:  Has anyone compared to the Denon AH-D600?

I quite like the Denons but I'm over 4 years with them and wouldn't mind something new.  I'm very interested in wireless for convenience of switching between phones/laptops/ipads/apple tvs and regularly handling phone calls/hangouts.

Current use of the D600s:

- Shared daily driver duties with my RS1is.  In this scenario, I'm usually listening through a mojo or, in the case of vinyl, a bellari ha540.  I swap them in when my ears get tired from the grados or I want some auditory privacy.  I am pretty heavy on the R&B and EDM, so they fare well there as well with their substantial bottom end.  The RS1i is a tough phone for closed-backs to hang with, but the D600 does ok.  I like a good-sized soundstage.  There are some times when the highs/upper mids just don't work for me in the D600s--maybe poor recordings.  I listen to a lot of classic and indie rock as well as jazz and classical piano where I have a strong preference for the RS1s.

- Travel movies and music.  Though large, they work rather well.  They can be driven well with just about anything, so I don't always use my mojo.  This is where wireless and something foldable is very appealing.

- Auditory privacy while meditating or breathing.  Loosing the cable would be great here as well.

- Phone calls/hangouts when I can't stand to untangle my EarPods.  (if I don't follow through with the p7s, I'll likely get a pair of AirPods--meh)

What I'm looking for is a par of cans I can leave around my neck most of the day and use for various tasks from watching tv/gaming, listening to music or taking calls.  These are rather expensive, so I want them to be more than just adequate.  

My primary concerns for the p7s are around comfort, soundstage (not being open enough) and general call/bluetooth functionality.  I'm just a little concerned they won't be a significant step up from the D600s to my ears.  I'd like it to be very solid for this kind of cash or I may just wait to see if anyone will license the W1 chip for a great pair of headphones.  My current opinion of bluetooth is that it isn't great yet, but I'm not likely to buy Beats.

This is a great thread and you all really got me thinking about this pair.  It sounds like they are really easy to listen to, which is exactly what I want in this slot.  The RS1is are my favs, but I sometimes need something a little more relaxed when I'm GTD and not focused on music.
BTW guys, not enough is said here about that carrying case.  What were they thinking?  Looks like a handbag my wife would like.  
confused_face_2.gif
   A little bummed that I'd have to insta-replace that thing.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #472 of 1,955
I can't speak for the Denon's as I've never used their headphones.  I have been using the P7 wireless for about a month now and I'm very happy with them.  Now, understand that I used B&W's P5 and P7 wired phones for a few years and I'm familiar with their sound signature.  The P7 wireless is slightly better than the wired version, in my personal opinion.  I replaced my pair of Sony 1ABT phones with these.  B&W definitely favors an obvious bass thump to their sound.  The highs and mids are fine and not overwhelmed by the bass.  It's definitely not a neutral or "studio monitor" type of sound.  You either like it of not.  There's never any distortion and the bluetooth range has been excellent (goes through walls with no problem).  They use the AptX codec as does my sound sources so all music has sounded great to my ears.  I personally like  Spotify (hi def version) and frequently do projects around the house while listening to Pop Chillout music.  I also use a Pioneer DAP with Flac files.  In a nutshell, the P7 wireless gets my recommendation.  You really should listen to a pair before buying to be sure you like their sound signature.  Or, at the very least, purchase them from one of the better online dealers that offer a liberal return policy.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #473 of 1,955
Two words... Love. Them.

It's just they sound very good with everything. I've had several 'phones that sounded good with specific music, but these sound are just so good at it all. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #474 of 1,955
  Two words... Love. Them.

It's just they sound very good with everything. I've had several 'phones that sounded good with specific music, but these sound are just so good at it all. 

3 words : love them alot

best purchase for 2016, man i simply can not believe how much i am praising a bluetooth headphone

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #475 of 1,955
I'm with fuzzychaos and Sound Eq.  These headphones put all other wireless headphones to shame (non-noise cancellation types).  The build quality is second to none.  It might be worth investing in an Audeze type Pelican case to keep it in if you don't like the one included.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #476 of 1,955
  3 words : love them alot

best purchase for 2016, man i simply can not believe how much i am praising a bluetooth headphone

4 words...alot is actually 2 (a lot).......

That said...agree with you.  Was a great purchase and I just enjoy music while listening to them.  Vastly superior to the Sony MDR-1abt.  (IMO).

Bern

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #477 of 1,955
if p7 wireless was made by one of the boutique headphone companies they would priced them 2000 USD :)

thanks god B&W made them

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #478 of 1,955
I don't think it matters. Whatever volume you hear from the headphones will eat the same battery life whether the phone volume is turned down/up in relation to the headphone volume. That is, the battery use will be the same if the phone volume is down and the headphone volume is up as if the phone volume is up and the headphone volume is down provided what is heard is the same level. Hope I've explained that clearly.

I think it will matter, it will depend on the design of the amp, I don't have any data on it so I can't comment any further.
My biggest concern about let's say leaving the headphone volume up high, and and then using the phones digital volume to control the volume, would be there potential for blow outs in the volume, and possibly damaging your hearing.(it's very easy to press that volume slider by accidentally, on a touch screen device)

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #480 of 1,955
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I'll find somewhere to audition them.  My normal haunt is not a B&W house, but I did get some B&W speakers at stereo exchange a decade ago.  They'll likely have them to listen to.  I see the normal P7s everywhere, but my understanding is that would not make a valid audition.

The one thing that really piqued my interest was the talk of separation between instruments/frequencies.  I think I know what you are talking about and that is not something I'm getting from the denons.  That leaves me thinking they'll probably give me the head space I'm looking for.

Nothing I have is neutral, so no worries there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back