Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #331 of 1,955

How many times can the battery be recharged on the P7 Wireless?

What happens when the battery can't be recharged anymore?

For people that have tried both the P7 Wired and the P7 Wireless, how would you compare the sound?

(I got the P7 2 years ago, not looking to get another headphone, but am just curious about this new model).

The P7 wireless is widely considered to sound better than the wired. The battery dying would require you replace it yourself somehow, or just use the headphone wired. The battery cycle counts are usually quite generous and likely we bore or sell the headphone long before that happens, but it is always a consideration. That was one big plus with the Beoplay H7, removable battery.

Thanks for the response.

Why does the P7 wireless sound better than the P7 wired?  Was something done differently?

When using the P7 wireless, does it sound the same whether using wireless or wired mode?

Thanks for the info on the Beoplay H7.

I'm the type of person that once I have something, and I like the functionality, I don't look for something else unless it breaks.  I had the same set of headphones for 14 years before the headband cracked.  I then bought a different headphone, and only got something else 4.5 years later when the cable shorted and I couldn't hear vocals anymore (and it wasn't a headphone with a replaceable cable).  I had the same computer speakers for 16 years and only got something else once the subwoofer started rattling.  When I do get something else, I do spend time researching (like probably a lot of people on here) and will ask others' opinions too.  I went on a four year run with the same cell phone.

For me, by the time I'd be in position to sell something, it wouldn't be worth much because of how old it is.  

Maybe some of the reason I don't get new things as quickly is because it takes weeks or months of research before I decide what to get, and I might try and compare a few products before I decide which one.  I don't want to go through that too often.  Or maybe it's also because I just like what I have, and want to focus my attention on other things.

Do you have any idea what the battery cycle count might be for the P7?  If not, I'll probably email Bowers & Wilkins and ask.  I'm just curious how it compares.  I'd probably then do the same for the Beoplay H7, to compare with it.

Found this for the Beoplay H7 battery:

http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14661

400 charges if drained completely, to a few thousand charges if partially discharged and then recharged fully.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #332 of 1,955

Thanks for the response.

Why does the P7 wireless sound better than the P7 wired?  Was something done differently?

When using the P7 wireless, does it sound the same whether using wireless or wired mode?

Thanks for the info on the Beoplay H7.

I'm the type of person that once I have something, and I like the functionality, I don't look for something else unless it breaks.  I had the same set of headphones for 14 years before the headband cracked.  I then bought a different headphone, and only got something else 4.5 years later when the cable shorted and I couldn't hear vocals anymore (and it wasn't a headphone with a replaceable cable).  I had the same computer speakers for 16 years and only got something else once the subwoofer started rattling.  When I do get something else, I do spend time researching (like probably a lot of people on here) and will ask others' opinions too.  I went on a four year run with the same cell phone.

For me, by the time I'd be in position to sell something, it wouldn't be worth much because of how old it is.  

Maybe some of the reason I don't get new things as quickly is because it takes weeks or months of research before I decide what to get, and I might try and compare a few products before I decide which one.  I don't want to go through that too often.  Or maybe it's also because I just like what I have, and want to focus my attention on other things.

Do you have any idea what the battery cycle count might be for the P7?  If not, I'll probably email Bowers & Wilkins and ask.  I'm just curious how it compares.  I'd probably then do the same for the Beoplay H7, to compare with it.

I haven't looked into the P7 cycle count. There are design differences between the wired and wireless versions for sure, how extensive they are I won't venture, but I did hear the wired version as well and like most, I thought the wireless was clearly better sounding. The Beoplay H7 is a great alternative by the way if you don't require loud playback volumes as the amp is less powerful. I loved the H7, prefer the P7, but if I needed the assurance of long life, I would happily live with the H7.

Thanks.  Was there a certain frequency range (low, mid, high), or a certain type of music, where you and many others thought the P7 wireless was better than the P7 wired?

Or was it just an overall sound?

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #333 of 1,955

If you can't hear a difference worth $200 between the two - go for the cheaper set.
Either way you *are* making a fashion statement by wearing either set in public - for me my P7's are for private listening in home, no way would I walk around with P7's on my head, most people here in Melbourne wear ear-buds for that, I have Bose QC30's for outdoor/public use

Used my P7 wireless all day in public today, and got no weird looks, or looks of any kind actually. They're actually pretty discreet on the head. Surprisingly so.

Is the P7 wireless smaller than the P9?

From their website, they have the weight (but not the dimensions).  All I can see is P7 wireless is 323 grams (.71 lbs) to 413 for the P9 (.9 lbs).  Doesn't seem like much of a difference to me.

I can see that the P7 wired is 290 grams though (.64 lbs.).  That would be noticeable.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #335 of 1,955
Isn't music via Bluetooth compressed?

If so, how can the P7 Wireless sound as good as the P7 wired (or the P7 Wireless but in wired mode)?

The original P7 wired was a different headphone. Several folks who have heard both (I haven't) have liked the sound signature of the newer wireless version better.

As for comparing the sound of the wireless model with and without cable, I can say from my own experience that it does sound better wired - especially running through my Oppo HA-1.

While it is a great wireless headphone, you are correct that Bluetooth sound can't compete with a wired connection.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #336 of 1,955

Isn't music via Bluetooth compressed?

If so, how can the P7 Wireless sound as good as the P7 wired (or the P7 Wireless but in wired mode)?

The original P7 wired was a different headphone. Several folks who have heard both (I haven't) have liked the sound signature of the newer wireless version better.

As for comparing the sound of the wireless model with and without cable, I can say from my own experience that it does sound better wired - especially running through my Oppo HA-1.

While it is a great wireless headphone, you are correct that Bluetooth sound can't compete with a wired connection.

Thanks for the info.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #337 of 1,955
Indeed. The sound of P7 wireless via Bluetooth is definitely more smooth/warm and less spacious. Once connected to a DAC/AMP it immediately sounds more spacious and with more detailed. It seems to me that once you plug in the cable (even just one end at the headphone side), you cannot use Bluetooth, so you'll have to take the wire on/off switching between 2 modes.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #338 of 1,955
I've not heard the old wired P7 (aside from a short store demo two years ago) and have only had the wireless P7 for about six days, so my impressions might change with more driver/brain burn-in, but here's my preliminary take on the various wireless modes vs wired mode on my hardware;

Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro;
Wired + Dragonfly Red > Wireless (AptX) > Wired to headphone jack

iPhone 6s;
Wireless (AAC) > Wired to headphone jack

Wireless - MPB AptX vs iPhone AAC;
No audible difference with SoundCloud or Tidal streaming
With lossless 24/48 AptX > AAC with regards to bass tightness and instrument placing, though the difference is small

Not a definitive comparison by any means. Just telling it how I hear it so far. I'm not really a stickler for resolution though. Tonal balance and overall presentation, and generally how forgiving the headphone is with my bootleg/ghetto quality electronica live mixes from SoundCloud are the main reason I went for the P7 Wireless for. That and the ability to just lounge around with the laptop at the sofa away from my desktop or at some hotel lounge without worrying about cables, obviously.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #339 of 1,955
Interesting idea...I might try it...though I wonder if that might not have a negative impact on SQ with the extra DSP. I tend to avoid EQ.

I did switch off Normalization, but can't say I noticed a difference.

I do think it's likely more a Spotify issue, as I don't notice the issue with my other sources. I think the P7s are just so sensitive that the combination becomes a bit much sometimes.

Did you ever try this? Asking as I returned mine because I found the lowest volume too high.

Is reducing all frequencies really the same as lowering the volume? I guess it should be in theory, but I've never played around with EQ so don't know if a headphone responds to EQ'ing the same for all frequencies etc.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #340 of 1,955

Did you ever try this? Asking as I returned mine because I found the lowest volume too high.

Is reducing all frequencies really the same as lowering the volume? I guess it should be in theory, but I've never played around with EQ so don't know if a headphone responds to EQ'ing the same for all frequencies etc.

I tried it today. It seemed to sound a little "thin". It also seemed a little wonky trying to go back and forth... and at times added a little static right after I changed settings.

I think that theoretically, reducing all frequencies would be the same as lowering the volume... but I suspect that in the real world, with an equalizer like what's in the Spotify app, you probably don't get even reduction across the entire spectrum. Plus, who knows what other distortions the EQ processor might add to the mix. 

It's a shame you had to return them for that... I'm going to hope that Spotify might tone things down a bit. Or I may try it some time when it's actually bothering me... the only time it's been an issue is when I want the music really soft, which is only if I'm listening on the way to sleep, which I don't do that often.

Or, maybe B&W will make a change on their end. But as I said, I really don't find it to be an issue with sources other than Spotify.

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #342 of 1,955
I think I like my music at lower volumes than most people so it really didn't work out for me. But there are more good headphones out there so I'm sure I'll find another pair that fit me better.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #344 of 1,955
What about burn-in with these cans? Anyone noticed changes in sound signature? I think little bit less bass would be nice.

Just do a slight EQ cut, preferably use a parametric EQ. Neutron has a good parametric EQ and I'm sure other players will as well.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #345 of 1,955
I think I like my music at lower volumes than most people so it really didn't work out for me. But there are more good headphones out there so I'm sure I'll find another pair that fit me better.

I would try the B&O H7 if I were you. Premium build, great sound, nice looks, even a removable battery and it is for sure less powerful than the P7. Man you must really listen quietly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back