Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #316 of 1,955
Just got these today and have been using them for a few hours. I must say I'm extremely impressed. They are the best wireless hp I've heard, and I've heard quite a few. They're actually comparable to the Meze 99 Classics, which are a wired hp, and damn fine ones too. Sound quality approaches that of high end cans such as the Beyer t5p, but just misses out on that last minute amount of finesse and refinement. A definite recommendation. I'm very very happy with these. And much better than the P7 wired IMO.

Yeah, the best wireless cans by far, IMO. My MDR-1ABT's are now history, thanks to these.
I know what you mean about the comparison with the T5P's, I have had a 'Hate/Love' relationship with these. At first I hated them, and thought them bland, shrill and aggressive. Over time I've come to appreciate their clarity, purity and transparency. They're still ahead of the P7W's IMO, especially for classical music, but then you're back to wires 
angry_face.gif

In comparison, the P7W's are obviously 'coloured', especially in the mids, and the bass is just a little too much sometimes, BUT they are the SOTA with regard to wireless at the mo', and the most important bit? They get my feet tapping every single time 
gs1000.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #319 of 1,955
  The tv in question would have to have a bluetooth xmtr.  Or I suppose you could add one..they are not very expensive.

Bern

Thanks. I have been asking this in general, I do not have in mind a particular tv. A friend called me and asked me about this and it is something I have been meaning to test.

Of course this assumes that the tv "has" bluetooth and from a brief check it seems the latest models of the 3 big brands (LG, Samsung, Sony) do have bluetooth. I actually do have a new 65" LG and a 50" Sony and I will check soon but I am away on business for a long time.

The question is if these tvs can output audio using their bluetooth connection? Anybody tried this successfully?

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #320 of 1,955
Hey guys, just curious, how is the vocal presentation for this headphone?

Say, compare to the QC35 and 1000X?

I searched over this thread... mostly mentioning the bass control... and the over all presentation, but I"m very curious on how this phone handles vocal... can anyone chime in ?

thanks.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #321 of 1,955

I searched over this thread... mostly mentioning the bass control... and the over all presentation, but I"m very curious on how this phone handles vocal... can anyone chime in ?

thanks.

Vocals are stellar I think. The layering and separation are top notch and despite the bass being large, the other frequencies don't seem to get crowded out. Quite a feat I think, the P7 seems quite special to me. Today I listened to an Underworld track called Cups, and as it develops there are quite a few layers included various synth lines that could easily get blurred and messy, but even at high volume I found the P7 kept things nicely layered and allowed the vocals through nicely. The P7 is completely worth the audition mate, trust me. Order it from a place where you can return it if it isn't for you, but damn it is a great portable headphone, and just all round a solid sound signature top to bottom.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #323 of 1,955
Nov 17, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #324 of 1,955
Alright, thanks for the feed back, sounds like a good headphone to pick up.. Guess I'll look into it this Black Friday period.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #325 of 1,955
  Alright, thanks for the feed back, sounds like a good headphone to pick up.. Guess I'll look into it this Black Friday period.

For sure, if you can get a deal on the P7 do it man. Worst case scenario you return them. I paid full Canadian retail $479 plus 13% tax and I still feel good about the purchase.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #326 of 1,955

thanks.

I'd say that while the bass is definitely emphasized a tad, and it can ever so slightly leak into the mids, the solid separation and sound stage allow the vocals to still get their due. Listening to a song like Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek which is literally all vocals sounds incredible, and you'd probably really only notice this issue if your music is like a vocal track over a dubstup drop or something. I've honestly thought vocals sound great on these. Listening to Incubus - Promises Promises has the bass line strongly providing the foundation for the track, but Brandon's voice sounds completely separated and clear and is definitely the star of the track as it's designed to be.

I think unless someone has an extreme aversion to a slightly elevated bass, they are going to love these no matter what genre they're into. I really do think these both fit my signature preference (bass impact, V-shaped) and yet still manages to highlight songs leaning away from that signature in ways that feel true to their intentions.

Just a seriously great set of headphones. I have them on for hours and hours a day.

Unfortunately I can't say I've heard the QC35s or 1000Xs, so hopefully someone else can help you there.
For sure, if you can get a deal on the P7 do it man. Worst case scenario you return them. I paid full Canadian retail $479 plus 13% tax and I still feel good about the purchase.

Also hell yes to the "trial and return" model of headphone auditioning. I bought and returned 4 different sets of bluetooth headphones before landing on these. No shame.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #327 of 1,955
How many times can the battery be recharged on the P7 Wireless?

What happens when the battery can't be recharged anymore?

For people that have tried both the P7 Wired and the P7 Wireless, how would you compare the sound?

(I got the P7 2 years ago, not looking to get another headphone, but am just curious about this new model).

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #328 of 1,955

For people that have tried both the P7 Wired and the P7 Wireless, how would you compare the sound?

(I got the P7 2 years ago, not looking to get another headphone, but am just curious about this new model).

The P7 wireless is widely considered to sound better than the wired. The battery dying would require you replace it yourself somehow, or just use the headphone wired. The battery cycle counts are usually quite generous and likely we bore or sell the headphone long before that happens, but it is always a consideration. That was one big plus with the Beoplay H7, removable battery.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #329 of 1,955

The P7 wireless is widely considered to sound better than the wired. The battery dying would require you replace it yourself somehow, or just use the headphone wired. The battery cycle counts are usually quite generous and likely we bore or sell the headphone long before that happens, but it is always a consideration. That was one big plus with the Beoplay H7, removable battery.

Thanks for the response.

Why does the P7 wireless sound better than the P7 wired?  Was something done differently?

When using the P7 wireless, does it sound the same whether using wireless or wired mode?

Thanks for the info on the Beoplay H7.

I'm the type of person that once I have something, and I like the functionality, I don't look for something else unless it breaks.  I had the same set of headphones for 14 years before the headband cracked.  I then bought a different headphone, and only got something else 4.5 years later when the cable shorted and I couldn't hear vocals anymore (and it wasn't a headphone with a replaceable cable).  I had the same computer speakers for 16 years and only got something else once the subwoofer started rattling.  When I do get something else, I do spend time researching (like probably a lot of people on here) and will ask others' opinions too.  I went on a four year run with the same cell phone.

For me, by the time I'd be in position to sell something, it wouldn't be worth much because of how old it is.  

Maybe some of the reason I don't get new things as quickly is because it takes weeks or months of research before I decide what to get, and I might try and compare a few products before I decide which one.  I don't want to go through that too often.  Or maybe it's also because I just like what I have, and want to focus my attention on other things.

Do you have any idea what the battery cycle count might be for the P7?  If not, I'll probably email Bowers & Wilkins and ask.  I'm just curious how it compares.  I'd probably then do the same for the Beoplay H7, to compare with it.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #330 of 1,955

Thanks for the response.

Why does the P7 wireless sound better than the P7 wired?  Was something done differently?

When using the P7 wireless, does it sound the same whether using wireless or wired mode?

Thanks for the info on the Beoplay H7.

I'm the type of person that once I have something, and I like the functionality, I don't look for something else unless it breaks.  I had the same set of headphones for 14 years before the headband cracked.  I then bought a different headphone, and only got something else 4.5 years later when the cable shorted and I couldn't hear vocals anymore (and it wasn't a headphone with a replaceable cable).  I had the same computer speakers for 16 years and only got something else once the subwoofer started rattling.  When I do get something else, I do spend time researching (like probably a lot of people on here) and will ask others' opinions too.  I went on a four year run with the same cell phone.

For me, by the time I'd be in position to sell something, it wouldn't be worth much because of how old it is.  

Maybe some of the reason I don't get new things as quickly is because it takes weeks or months of research before I decide what to get, and I might try and compare a few products before I decide which one.  I don't want to go through that too often.  Or maybe it's also because I just like what I have, and want to focus my attention on other things.

Do you have any idea what the battery cycle count might be for the P7?  If not, I'll probably email Bowers & Wilkins and ask.  I'm just curious how it compares.  I'd probably then do the same for the Beoplay H7, to compare with it.

I haven't looked into the P7 cycle count. There are design differences between the wired and wireless versions for sure, how extensive they are I won't venture, but I did hear the wired version as well and like most, I thought the wireless was clearly better sounding. The Beoplay H7 is a great alternative by the way if you don't require loud playback volumes as the amp is less powerful. I loved the H7, prefer the P7, but if I needed the assurance of long life, I would happily live with the H7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back