Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #196 of 1,955
I think the interesting thing about these headphones is that they're a 'leveller'. And by that, I don't mean they're limiting, nor do they 'lower the bar'. Quite the converse actually.
For the very first time, I'm questioning as to why I need expensive DAPs and DACs to enjoy superb SQ on the move, and wireless to boot.
With an Apt-X source such as a mobile 'phone, and good-quality files (16/44.1 as a minimum) stored on a large MicroSD, I actually don't think I see the need for a separate DAP/DAC for use 'on the move'.
Let's hope these headphones get many more people interested in listening to good quality music on the move, in preference to 256kb MP3/AAC via cheap crappy buds.

Absolutely. It's been quite the ear-opening experience, as until now I hadn't really given wireless much consideration, and certainly expected to cling to the cable if it gave even the slightest edge in sound quality.

But using Apt-X with the P7 Wireless, I've found any difference in performance is negligible, and easily outweighed by sheer convenience. I can enjoy fantastic sound, on reasonably priced phones that truly fit my lifestyle needs, without trying to shoehorn them in.

So for me, like yourself, quite the game-changer.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #197 of 1,955
  I didn't realize there were two "generations" of the P7 Wireless. When was the 2nd Gen released and what changes were "officially" made to them?

beerchug.gif

I'm pretty sure they are comparing the P7 Wireless, in wired mode, as the 2nd generation "wired" P7.
I have read reviews that say there were some changes made and they sound better.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #198 of 1,955
  I think the interesting thing about these headphones is that they're a 'leveller'. And by that, I don't mean they're limiting, nor do they 'lower the bar'. Quite the converse actually.
For the very first time, I'm questioning as to why I need expensive DAPs and DACs to enjoy superb SQ on the move, and wireless to boot.
With an Apt-X source such as a mobile 'phone, and good-quality files (16/44.1 as a minimum) stored on a large MicroSD, I actually don't think I see the need for a separate DAP/DAC for use 'on the move'.
Let's hope these headphones get many more people interested in listening to good quality music on the move, in preference to 256kb MP3/AAC via cheap crappy buds.

With the P7s I've started exploring FLAC/DAC/DAP/Amp and agree: while they definitely add to the sound, I don't routinely use them since for me the SQ is great wireless and the freedom allows me to listen much more.

I also didn't plan on getting the P7s - I wanted an ANC set to replace my old pair for travel and home-use and my house is quite loud as I live in a major downtown metro above a dance club so I tried the Sony MDR1000X and the QC35s but the SQ on them sucks.

The P7s are great and give me so many more options.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #199 of 1,955

With the P7s I've started exploring FLAC/DAC/DAP/Amp and agree: while they definitely add to the sound, I don't routinely use them since for me the SQ is great wireless and the freedom allows me to listen much more.

I also didn't plan on getting the P7s - I wanted an ANC set to replace my old pair for travel and home-use and my house is quite loud as I live in a major downtown metro above a dance club so I tried the Sony MDR1000X and the QC35s but the SQ on them sucks.

The P7s are great and give me so many more options.

How are the isolation on the p7 compared to bose and sony mdr1000x? :)

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #200 of 1,955
I'll just add that the P7 wireless, when wired and amped, punch you in the head. But also wireless. So if you don't like head punches then you shouldn't buy them...

All positive in terms of bass
basshead.gif
I understand that mid-upper range may suffer because if it... your (any anyone's) opinion?

beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #201 of 1,955
I'll just add that the P7 wireless, when wired and amped, punch you in the head. But also wireless. So if you don't like head punches then you shouldn't buy them...

All positive in terms of bass
basshead.gif
I understand that mid-upper range may suffer because if it... your (any anyone's) opinion?

beerchug.gif

It's all such a compromise, isn't it? Just WHERE is the perfect pair of headphones? Nada. They just DON'T exist :wink:
The mids on the P7W's aren't bad at all. Are they as good as the mids from the T5P's? Not a chance. But the P7's have better bass.
The crucial thing is, is that the P7W's sound so MUSICAL. I would say, forget dissecting the highs/mids/lows and just listen to the music. These things get my feet tapping - a lot. And that's a good barometer for me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #202 of 1,955
I have a pair of MDR-1ABT's and used them with both my A17 & ZX100. That's until I got the P7W's.
I have a pair of P7 wired, and use them with my Hugo a lot. I love the B&W 'house sound'. So I decided to try the wireless version. Wow!
All I can say is that the P7W's sound MUCH better than the MDR-1ABT's, and go much louder.
The Sony DAPs connect to the B&W's using Apt-x, and they use LDAC when connecting to the MDR-1ABT's. But the B&W's STILL sound better than the Sony's by a country mile.
Makes me think that LDAC is nothing more than a marketing spin on Apt-x by Sony.
If Apt-x is good enough for Chord, then it's good enough for me!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

LDAC is quite likely marketing spin. In blind listening tests people can't even tell a 320mp3 from the lossless master, this has been demonstrated consistently in blind listening tests, including a 7 subject, multi-trial blind listening test I conducted at a head-fi meet. So, given that Apt x can actually exceed the 320 sample rate going beyond that seems irrelevant, most certainly for portable use. IMO of course.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #203 of 1,955

When I tested between the three (and my PSBs), I found the P7 passive isolation to be really good - better than any of the others, but at the cost of some comfort.  I think the P7s are so good passively because of the clamp, whereas the QC35s were like wearing a big pillow.

That said, as I was comparing them all I came up with a new metric (for me anyway): immersion.  When I got past individually testing each feature, I fixated on just playing music or a movie or show or podcast and testing the overall experience in different environments.  What was surprising is that the P7s were more immersive than the others because they had such good sound.

I realized that with the P7s I was constantly forgetting that I was doing testing - I would do the, "wait, why am i watching this show here?  Oh.  right."  That never happened with the others.

Thus the decision didn't come down to any individual factor like the bass or the isolation or the treble, but rather the overall immersive experience which is MUCH better than any of the others.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #204 of 1,955
Re: the P7's bass, on some tracks I've felt it to be a bit too much — but then on other tracks they just blow me away with how amazing everything sounds. For that, and their stellar Bluetooth performance, they're keepers.

I only have one weird minor issue — sometime I wish I could turn them down more. On my iPhone or iPad, late at night when I just want them soft before going to sleep, and I have them turned down as far as they'll go without muting, and it's louder than I'd like. This mainly seems to happen with Spotify, so maybe it's their app.

But I rather hope B&W can make a slight adjustment through a firmware update. I'm probably in a tiny minority.

My QC35s are just the opposite, lest you think my hearing is weird — I frequently have them well past the halfway point. The P7s on the other hand, sometimes I think I have them really loud, and they're at 3 clicks.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #205 of 1,955
I have a pair of MDR-1ABT's and used them with both my A17 & ZX100. That's until I got the P7W's.
I have a pair of P7 wired, and use them with my Hugo a lot. I love the B&W 'house sound'. So I decided to try the wireless version. Wow!
All I can say is that the P7W's sound MUCH better than the MDR-1ABT's, and go much louder.
The Sony DAPs connect to the B&W's using Apt-x, and they use LDAC when connecting to the MDR-1ABT's. But the B&W's STILL sound better than the Sony's by a country mile.
Makes me think that LDAC is nothing more than a marketing spin on Apt-x by Sony.

Idk...I have the same setup....A17 and 1abt's.  It sounds like the P7 are just a better headphone.  Have you tried the abt's using aptx?  Not sure I'd blame LDAC for the difference.

My 2 cents.  BTW....you (and others) have convinced me to go for the P7's.

One question...are you happy with the audio level on the P7's....using the Sony A17 as the source?  

Bern

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #206 of 1,955
When I tested between the three (and my PSBs), I found the P7 passive isolation to be really good - better than any of the others, but at the cost of some comfort.  I think the P7s are so good passively because of the clamp, whereas the QC35s were like wearing a big pillow.

That said, as I was comparing them all I came up with a new metric (for me anyway): immersion.  When I got past individually testing each feature, I fixated on just playing music or a movie or show or podcast and testing the overall experience in different environments.  What was surprising is that the P7s were more immersive than the others because they had such good sound.

I realized that with the P7s I was constantly forgetting that I was doing testing - I would do the, "wait, why am i watching this show here?  Oh.  right."  That never happened with the others.

Thus the decision didn't come down to any individual factor like the bass or the isolation or the treble, but rather the overall immersive experience which is MUCH better than any of the others.

Thank you for the answer.I got the qc35 for my kid.The isolation is good (but thougth it would be better).I also have the b&w p9,and the isolation is not so good on them.I might try the p7 wireless.My plan is to use them outside for portable (b&w said it was no problem using the p7 outside at winter,as long as it didnt get wet),and in my wifes car when she is playing music.Ive tried some headphones in the car when we are traveling,and i always hear her music.cq35 is the best ive tried for now,but would like better sound.How is the bass on p7? Do their sound fit rock/metal/edm? Allround headohone? Listening to all kind of genres :)

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #207 of 1,955

Idk...I have the same setup....A17 and 1abt's.  It sounds like the P7 are just a better headphone.  Have you tried the abt's using aptx?  Not sure I'd blame LDAC for the difference.

My 2 cents.  BTW....you (and others) have convinced me to go for the P7's.

One question...are you happy with the audio level on the P7's....using the Sony A17 as the source?  

Bern

Interestingly, the A17 has always been a 'quiet' DAP, either using it wired (an underpowered amplifier) but also via BT. My other BT sources play much louder via BT than the A17. I always found this a slight problem with my MDR-1ABT's, especially for classical music.
But the level of gain with the P7W's is much, much better. And with the A17, the P7W's go plenty loud enough. Coupled with better passive sound isolation than the 1ABT's, and at last I can appreciate quiet classical music using the A17 as a source.
My only gripe with the P7W's is no NFC, which makes pairing so much easier. Although it was probably drive to save costs, I think that omission is pretty unforgivable on a pair of cans that price.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #208 of 1,955

Thank you for the answer.I got the qc35 for my kid.The isolation is good (but thougth it would be better).I also have the b&w p9,and the isolation is not so good on them.I might try the p7 wireless.My plan is to use them outside for portable (b&w said it was no problem using the p7 outside at winter,as long as it didnt get wet),and in my wifes car when she is playing music.Ive tried some headphones in the car when we are traveling,and i always hear her music.cq35 is the best ive tried for now,but would like better sound.How is the bass on p7? Do their sound fit rock/metal/edm? Allround headohone? Listening to all kind of genres :)

Passive isolation with the P7's should be better, as these are closed-back, whereas the P9's are semi-open.
As to genres, the P7's are magic IMO, as any/all genres sound fabulous. Some cans are better for rock, pop, or classical etc, but EVERYTHING seems to shine on these.
Are they perfect? No, of course not. But they come as close as I know to the 'swiss army knife' of portable (just about!) headphones.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #209 of 1,955

... I found the P7 passive isolation to be really good - better than any of the others, but at the cost of some comfort.  I think the P7s are so good passively because of the clamp...

Understood. My only requirement in that case would be to make it through a long movie without having to take them off or otherwise "adjust" them. How long have you worn them in one go? And forgetting the others in your "testing", are the P7s comfortable enough?
T4S
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back