Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,412 of 1,955
Anyone compared P7 with Sony MDR1000 and/or Sennheiser Momentum 2.0? I'm looking for a pair of wireless on-ears and can't decide out of these three. Listening mainly to classical music and rock. Any advice would be highly appreciated as this will be my first pair of more or less expensive headphones.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #1,413 of 1,955
Anyone compared P7 with Sony MDR1000 and/or Sennheiser Momentum 2.0? I'm looking for a pair of wireless on-ears and can't decide out of these three. Listening mainly to classical music and rock. Any advice would be highly appreciated as this will be my first pair of more or less expensive headphones.

I had both. Momentums for a few months, Sony for about a day.

Momentums are IMO not worth the price. Small earcups that get warm and sweaty and then the paint comes off them. Bass was poor, highs were very poor, soundstage was very shallow. ANC works but was too weak for me.
MDR1000X - Excellent ANC, absolutely stellar. Mediocre amplifier that can't handle any kind of dynamic sound (distorts and sounds awful). Electronics suck - no multipoint (connecting to two devices), upsampling works for about 50% of songs and then sounds good, but absolutely murders the remaining 50%. They sound "good" in the same way that a crappy chinese radio sounds good when you press the "loudness" button.
Really the only reason to buy the Sony is ANC. If all you want to hear is silence those are great. If you want to hear music... look elsewhere.

I don't listen to classical music much (but I often listen to stuff like Adiemus), but I had no problems on either the Momentums or the P7W. Sony upsampling absolutely blurs complex sounds, mixes them together into a mush, just bleh.

There's a reason I stuck with P7W :) If only they had the Sony ANC... The only problem people tend to have with them is they are quite bassy - but you get used to that after a few hours of listening, and you can always EQ them down - and down is always better than up :wink:

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,414 of 1,955
I had both. Momentums for a few months, Sony for about a day.

Momentums are IMO not worth the price. Small earcups that get warm and sweaty and then the paint comes off them. Bass was poor, highs were very poor, soundstage was very shallow. ANC works but was too weak for me.
MDR1000X - Excellent ANC, absolutely stellar. Mediocre amplifier that can't handle any kind of dynamic sound (distorts and sounds awful). Electronics suck - no multipoint (connecting to two devices), upsampling works for about 50% of songs and then sounds good, but absolutely murders the remaining 50%. They sound "good" in the same way that a crappy chinese radio sounds good when you press the "loudness" button.
Really the only reason to buy the Sony is ANC. If all you want to hear is silence those are great. If you want to hear music... look elsewhere.

I don't listen to classical music much (but I often listen to stuff like Adiemus), but I had no problems on either the Momentums or the P7W. Sony upsampling absolutely blurs complex sounds, mixes them together into a mush, just bleh.

There's a reason I stuck with P7W :) If only they had the Sony ANC... The only problem people tend to have with them is they are quite bassy - but you get used to that after a few hours of listening, and you can always EQ them down - and down is always better than up :wink:
Thanks for the reply, I was leaning towards P7 out of the 3, but always looking for more info :) Do you use them daily? How comfy are they for daily, on-the-move use?

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,416 of 1,955
Thanks for the reply, I was leaning towards P7 out of the 3, but always looking for more info :) Do you use them daily? How comfy are they for daily, on-the-move use?

I find them very comfy - not as comfy as the Sony or Beoplay H9, but comfy enough. Sit well enough on the head, but not reliably enough for you to be able to run or jump with them - they are heavy, that's what's keeping them on your head.
I use then at home, in bed, in office, sometimes I fall asleep with them :) In summer they were pretty hot but at least the cushions don't soak up sweat like the Momentums do.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #1,417 of 1,955

After some months with B&W P7W I have to say I am more and more impressed. Probably my ears got used to the sound and now start to navigate more into the unknown of these great headphones' signature. Mids pop out more, electric guitars have more power especially; bass is less prominent.

Still, I remember when I went to shop and tried all the other wireless options in this price range.
Momentums were showing strange distorted instruments here and there, probably because of always-on noise cancelling. They where unbearable for my ears, and sounded also simple, no soundstage and no life. Cheap looks and weight.

Sony MDR1000x - well, it sounded maybe better but no bass, literally; also lots of fuss with many settings that are useless. Treble was totally distorted, couldn't bear it; put some old school Tiesto trance or black metal and you are dead.

B&O H7. H8, H9. - I went especially to a Bang and Olufsen shop to try these. Construction and design felt of higher quality than Senns of Sony. Put them on, and for sure they had more mids with greater depth and detail. But the treble, what was that? Fully muffled. Probably they need burn-in or those were bad? Anyway, let the shop unimpressed for the price, all the models have this same signature where treble was muffled.

Another model that I do not see on many forums:

Bose Soundlink 2 wireless - I listened to them by mistake in a shop just to see how they sound compared to muffled problematic bose qc35. Wow. Definitely these are the best wireless headphones I tried at around 200 dollars/euro. Maybe I wouldn't even go for the P7W if I knew. Compare to P7W, they lack some bass but the rest of the sound range is immaculate, construction quality is just ok and design is me.

About the P7W - try to put a thin cloth between speaker and the pad on each side. It makes them sound a bit more airy and less bassy. Make it really thin so that the pad does not move and the plastic pieces that hold the pads don't break(see image).

IMG_1857.JPG

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,418 of 1,955
After some months with B&W P7W I have to say I am more and more impressed. Probably my ears got used to the sound and now start to navigate more into the unknown of these great headphones' signature. Mids pop out more, electric guitars have more power especially; bass is less prominent.

Still, I remember when I went to shop and tried all the other wireless options in this price range.
Momentums were showing strange distorted instruments here and there, probably because of always-on noise cancelling. They where unbearable for my ears, and sounded also simple, no soundstage and no life. Cheap looks and weight.

Sony MDR1000x - well, it sounded maybe better but no bass, literally; also lots of fuss with many settings that are useless. Treble was totally distorted, couldn't bear it; put some old school Tiesto trance or black metal and you are dead.

B&O H7. H8, H9. - I went especially to a Bang and Olufsen shop to try these. Construction and design felt of higher quality than Senns of Sony. Put them on, and for sure they had more mids with greater depth and detail. But the treble, what was that? Fully muffled. Probably they need burn-in or those were bad? Anyway, let the shop unimpressed for the price, all the models have this same signature where treble was muffled.

Another model that I do not see on many forums:

Bose Soundlink 2 wireless - I listened to them by mistake in a shop just to see how they sound compared to muffled problematic bose qc35. Wow. Definitely these are the best wireless headphones I tried at around 200 dollars/euro. Maybe I wouldn't even go for the P7W if I knew. Compare to P7W, they lack some bass but the rest of the sound range is immaculate, construction quality is just ok and design is me.

About the P7W - try to put a thin cloth between speaker and the pad on each side. It makes them sound a bit more airy and less bassy. Make it really thin so that the pad does not move and the plastic pieces that hold the pads don't break(see image).

"no bass literally "?

Well, the opinions on the 1000x bass vary quite a lot. Tyll of Innerfidelity said the bass was "slightly too emphatic ". I personally think the Sony is better balanced than the P7 Wireless, which is quite v-shaped to me.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,419 of 1,955
The B&W P7W's are great wireless headphones. They are 1B in my wireless headphone collection. They do everything well to my ears. My 1A is the Audio Technica DSR9BT. I made them 1A because they are more balanced sounding than P7W's. They have deep rich bass, a little impactful than the P7W's, but they have a better midrange than blends with the rest of the sound frequency giving them a more musical tone. The P7W's definitely have a slight bass emphasis to my ears, almost v-shaped.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #1,420 of 1,955
Is anyone experiencing better sound when it is used with the 12.9 iPad Pro (2017)?

It is strange, but I would expect that it would sound exactly the same as the iPhone 6S over bluetooth.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #1,421 of 1,955
Is anyone experiencing better sound when it is used with the 12.9 iPad Pro (2017)?

It is strange, but I would expect that it would sound exactly the same as the iPhone 6S over bluetooth.

It should sound the same unless Apple implemented aptX in the new iPad, which I doubt very much...

So I guess it has to sound better when it was so expensive :wink:

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,422 of 1,955
It should sound the same unless Apple implemented aptX in the new iPad, which I doubt very much...

So I guess it has to sound better when it was so expensive :wink:

It has nothing to do with price. On the iPhone 6S it sounds more V-shaped with harsher treble.

On the 12.9 iPad Pro it sounds smoother and treble isn't that harsh.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,424 of 1,955
That is also what I thought, but it seems that it sounds better on the latest 12.9 iPad Pro quite strangely.

Perhaps Apple improved the bluetooth or perhaps the DAC plays a role with bluetooth also?

Will be interesting to see when the iPhone 8 gets released if it will sound the same as the iPhone 6S plus.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,425 of 1,955
"no bass literally "?

Well, the opinions on the 1000x bass vary quite a lot. Tyll of Innerfidelity said the bass was "slightly too emphatic ". I personally think the Sony is better balanced than the P7 Wireless, which is quite v-shaped to me.

better balanced? hmmmmm.......I don't know about that, the mids are somehow weak on the Sony and as some reviewers said the bass is too emphatic. so I'm confused why you would say the Sony is more balanced since the bass on the P7 is not that as emphatic or elaborate as that of the Sony. they are both V-shaped in my opinion, but the P7 seem to have more detail in the treble region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back