Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #91 of 1,955
Thanks,
I asked the question.
I'm guessing they are not.  I thought if Amazon fulfilled it, it was just like their stock.
Why else make them a Prime vendor?

I sent an email to the 3rd party, will try Amazon next.

I'm not going to lose a 2 year warranty to save $28 in tax.
It's not like they are selling them any cheaper.

If they are not considered authorized, does that mean zero warranty?

------
Just started a chat with Amazon and the person said I am covered with the 2 year warranty (after a long pause).
I feel much better.  At least I will have a transcript of them telling me that.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #92 of 1,955
Hi! 
normal_smile .gif

I'm listening to the P7 wireless for some weeks now, and I really like them!
IMHO they sound significantly better than the old cable bound P7.

But there is one thing which annoys me every time I'm listening to silent & slow piano music (like Ludovico Einaudi, for example)
In my settings (connected to an iPhone 7, iPad Pro, or MacPro 2013) I always hear some floor noise which is totally independent of the volume of the music.
The noise stops with a slight "zap" about half a second after I stop the music on the player device.
The noise isn't there, if I connect the headphone to the source by cable.
B&W Germany told me that the noise is inevitable and that it is cause by the "bluetooth connection".
But when I'm connecting the P7 to a BT receiver (like the Samsung HS 3000 or the Sony SBH20) by cable, the noise is absent. So this general statement "inevitable by bluetooth" doesn't seem to be correct.

I have listened to 2 samples of the P7 Wireless, they both share this phenomenon.

So I have the question: 
- if you have one, can you hear it, too?
- where can this noise come from?

Thank you & kind regards,
Stepan

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #93 of 1,955
  Thanks,
I asked the question.
I'm guessing they are not.  I thought if Amazon fulfilled it, it was just like their stock.
Why else make them a Prime vendor?

I sent an email to the 3rd party, will try Amazon next.

I'm not going to lose a 2 year warranty to save $28 in tax.
It's not like they are selling them any cheaper.

If they are not considered authorized, does that mean zero warranty?

Technically, B&W doesn't have to honor the warranty if you bought from an non-authorized seller. They MAY warranty it on good will if they choose to but I would be very reluctant to take that chance.

If you can return it I suggest Crutchfield as well. They are tax-free if you don't live in the state they are in (VA I think?). In case you have to return, return shipping is flat $10 with no restocking fee so it's still cheaper than the tax you would be charged through Amazon.
I ordered this morning and I got a shipping confirmation email a couple of hours ago with a tracking #.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #96 of 1,955
  But there is one thing which annoys me every time I'm listening to silent & slow piano music (like Ludovico Einaudi, for example)
In my settings (connected to an iPhone 7, iPad Pro, or MacPro 2013) I always hear some floor noise which is totally independent of the volume of the music.
The noise stops with a slight "zap" about half a second after I stop the music on the player device.

Are you talking about the ... it's kind of a "on" sound that's a slight white noise?  I just listened to Einaudi and I'm not sure what you're referring to ....  is it the background sound that happens just after each note or the background white noise?

EDIT: I just tried listening to Einaudi's Limbo over and over, BT, wired, wired & amped and I can't hear any difference or artifacts

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #97 of 1,955
  Just checked my receipt and it says "sold by: amazon.com LLC", I also registered them with B&W.  That means warranty right?

Yes, absolutely.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #98 of 1,955
I don't hear it myself, only if I plug in my Cayin 5 to power when using cable connection. It may be that some bluetooth devices constantly output some background signal to keep the connection alive. I dunno the technicalities though so maybe I'm full of crap :p

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #99 of 1,955
Wondering if anybody else here can try something and let me know what they think. I have been testing using a parametric cut at around 85Hz, about -3.6db and a Q of 1.09. Those settings are with EasyQ (a very nice free EQ plugin) used with JRiver MC 20. To my ear it will act fairly effective at cutting any boom/resonance that may happen if you play bass heavy music loud. So far I think it helps and I was hoping a few people could see what they think and offer any settings they find helpful.

If you want to use the two tracks I did while playing around one is I'll Be There, Holy Cole, Romantically Helpless. In that song you should clearly hear how the upright bass can start to trigger resonance and sound less controlled. The next song that causes a similar situation is Ride Across The River, ​Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms (remastered). In this track the electric bass is really prominent and can again trigger resonance issues. I also played both of these tracks rather loud so that is a factor.

I'll understand if nobody is interested in doing so, but in case anybody feels so inclined I'm very interested in your thoughts. Or of course use any songs you like, perhaps I'll also have them and can check them out. Cheers.

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #100 of 1,955

Are you talking about the ... it's kind of a "on" sound that's a slight white noise?  I just listened to Einaudi and I'm not sure what you're referring to ....  is it the background sound that happens just after each note or the background white noise?

Yes, exactly. It is like a background white noise.
It starts when the headphone gets active and it normally ends with a slight "zap" shortly after the music is stopped. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #101 of 1,955
I can hear a kind of hiss when audio is playing.

Also very annoying is the slight click sound when you select a track for playing.

No other Bluetooth headphones that I have tried and owned had the above two issues.

Bad news.

May be I will get used to it but should not have to compromise on £325 headphones.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #103 of 1,955
I can hear a kind of hiss when audio is playing.

Also very annoying is the slight click sound when you select a track for playing.

No other Bluetooth headphones that I have tried and owned had the above two issues.

Bad news.

May be I will get used to it but should not have to compromise on £325 headphones.

I don't experience either of those issues. What player software and phone are you using?

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #105 of 1,955
iPhone 7 plus and two 4th gen Apple TV's. It happens on all media software when first starting a track by selecting it or a program/movie = Apple Music / YouTube / Netflix.

Seeing how nobody else in the thread seems to have the same issues you may want to consider that it could be a faulty BT chip in the P7. Could it also be a setting somewhere in the OS? Have you used other BT headphones with this phone before? There are obviously two BT chips involved so I would try the P7 with a non-Apple device just for curiosity, but it is entirely possible that the issue lies with P7. Does Apple support Apt X? I'm unsure about that being an Android user and if they don't I wonder if there is an AAC issue with the P7. Hopefully this gets figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back