Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
May 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,427 of 1,506
  Was the sound better with Hugo compering to phone ? I mean, was that a big difference?

A huge difference to my ears.  The (corrected!) Chord DAC way ahead of the iPhone.  But for this headphone, I'd probably look at the Mojo over the Hugo, because the P7 is a very efficient headphone-- at just 25 ohms or so.  The Mojo is plenty good to drive it, it's smaller and cheaper, and uses the same proprietary Chord-made DAC chip as the Hugo, I'm pretty sure.

I'd get the Hugo only if I were eventually going to drive larger, more demanding headphones in the future, and would like to regularly use the Hugo in a home system.

May 13, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,428 of 1,506
i was looking at these, i have B&W home speakers and love em so i wondered how good they are
L3000.gif

May 13, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,429 of 1,506
A huge difference to my ears.  The iPhone DAC way ahead of the Chord.  But for this headphone, I'd probably look at the Mojo over the Hugo, because the P7 is a very efficient headphone-- at just 25 ohms or so.  The Mojo is plenty good to drive it, it's smaller and cheaper, and uses the same proprietary Chord-made DAC chip as the Hugo, I'm pretty sure.

I'd get the Hugo only if I were eventually going to drive larger, more demanding headphones in the future, and would like to regularly use the Hugo in a home system.

Hugo and Mojo have equal drive, have both and tried with P7s, and Sennheiser HD800s. They are a program coded DAC rather than off the shelf DAC chip. And uniquely don't have a traditional built in amplifier, just an adjustable gain stage out of the DAC. Miles away from iPhone quality using with iems and P7s, so much more musical.

May 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,431 of 1,506
Can anyone recommend a nice small tube amplifier that would match well with the P7s? 

I find myself missing sometimes some color in the sound:)

I was looking at Schiit Vali 2 and Hifiman EFA2.

May 19, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,432 of 1,506
  Can anyone recommend a nice small tube amplifier that would match well with the P7s? 

They sound sweet with the Millet Starving Student amp if you can find someone selling one (or fancy building one).

May 19, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #1,433 of 1,506

I would buy the Chord Mojo.  

If I were looking for an amp only solution, I'd consider the Woo WA6 or the Cavalli Liquid Carbon or hold out for the new Cavalli portable amp that's about to be released.  ALO also has a smaller version of the Continental due any day.

I try to only buy used gear in good condition or try to find a good deal.

May 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,434 of 1,506

Vali 2 mates well. Vali 1 not so much. The adjustable gain on vali 2 is perfect for low imped. P7.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,436 of 1,506
Hi ,
I have been also in the same situation like you do till today.Today when I was adjusting the cable connector (sometimei made it tight  and sometime made loose connection) and after doing the same thing on and on like 10-15 times,the distortion went away and I can hear the bass heavy songs without any distortion.So I am quite sure it has to do with cable than the driver.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,437 of 1,506
Hi ,
I have been also in the same situation like you do till today.Today when I was adjusting the cable connector (sometimei made it tight  and sometime made loose connection) and after doing the same thing on and on like 10-15 times,the distortion went away and I can hear the bass heavy songs without any distortion.So I am quite sure it has to do with cable than the driver.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,438 of 1,506
  Hi ,

Sorry to hear that. You can find out for certain if you have a multi tester or another stock cable.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,439 of 1,506
Hi,

Has anyone used Bowers and Wilkins P7s with the Fiio X5 Gen 2?

I noticed the player has an output power of 245mW @32 Ohms, the P7 headphones have a maximum input of 55mW @22 Ohms.

@22 Ohms, the Fiio X5 would be pushing out over 300mW.

Could I easily blow the P7 headphones? If anyone has the P7's with the X5II, are they a good match? How high is it safe to go with the volume level on High Gain/Low Gain?

Thanks,

Shannon

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,440 of 1,506
Hi,

Has anyone used Bowers and Wilkins P7s with the Fiio X5 Gen 2?

I noticed the player has an output power of 245mW @32 Ohms, the P7 headphones have a maximum input of 55mW @22 Ohms.

@22 Ohms, the Fiio X5 would be pushing out over 300mW.

Could I easily blow the P7 headphones? If anyone has the P7's with the X5II, are they a good match? How high is it safe to go with the volume level on High Gain/Low Gain?

Thanks,

Shannon

The P7's sound great with the X5 Gen 2 (I use that combo several times a week, set to High Gain), I wouldn't worry about blowing the P7's with that DAP as I use them with the Asgard 2 in my office setup a lot and the Schiit amp is more powerful than the DAP. The important thing is to not listen beyond comfortable levels as its easy to damage your hearing, but your P7 will be fine.
Enjoy! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back